PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

06CivicSi
01-27-2007, 08:52 PM
yesterday was my first experience using the pc... i started with the edge orange pad and xmt2 and i didnt really see an improvement but i think i was going to fast with too little pressure. so i tried xmt 3 with yellow. i thought it was the next cut to orange but come to find out it wasnt. i got all the marring from that out but did i shave off a good bit of clear coat?:confused:
also when i went back with xmt 1 i couldnt get rid of some very fine marring. what do i do. sorry i dont have any pics of it. color is black.

sparkie
01-27-2007, 09:18 PM
did i shave off a good bit of clear coat?:confused:
No, I don't think you did.

"also when i went back with xmt 1 i couldnt get rid of some very fine marring"
What pad did you used?

Strokin04
01-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Did you try the XMT2 to remove the marring? You may have to step it down from 3 to 2 to 1 and like Sparkie asked what pad did you use? You may need a pad with more cutting power and then you could remove the marring with the XMT1. Mike...

06CivicSi
01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
after the 3 and yellow i went with 2 and orange and then 1 with white...

Strokin04
01-27-2007, 09:32 PM
What pads are you using LC or Edge? Mike...

06CivicSi
01-27-2007, 09:34 PM
edge

nick19
01-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Work the product on AVERAGE for 5 minutes, and apply pressure until the head stops spinning. When this happens, gently lift off, and continue using that pressure.

Lots of pressure and SLOW movement is the key to success! :awesome:

-Nick
5-Star Auto Detailing

06CivicSi
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
thank you. i will try that next weekend. i didnt think it was going to ware me out this bad. i was expecting to be tired but not sore. i guess i will get used to it. thanks once again.

Strokin04
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Maybe try the blue or orange pad with the XMT1. I use the LC pads and PB SSR1, 2.5, 3 and what I do to save time and products some times is on the final pass with PB ssr2.5 and a orange LC pad I move the PC a little faster and with no pressure applied. This technique makes the brokedown 2.5 act as a polish so that I really dont have to use the next step in polish. Mike...

06CivicSi
01-27-2007, 09:55 PM
even on black?

nick19
01-27-2007, 09:56 PM
thank you. i will try that next weekend. i didnt think it was going to ware me out this bad. i was expecting to be tired but not sore. i guess i will get used to it. thanks once again.

Get a chair, and sit down. Depending on condition of paint, it can be 3-6+ hours to work on paint. This is the best part about working on a car. The results when finished are worthless.

FloridaNative
01-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Work the product on AVERAGE for 5 minutes, and apply pressure until the head stops spinning. When this happens, gently lift off, and continue using that pressure.

Lots of pressure and SLOW movement is the key to success! :awesome:

-Nick
5-Star Auto Detailing

:iagree: The marring you experienced is from using an abrasive combination yes, but if the polish is not given enough time to properly break down, the abrasives will not have diminshed sufficiently and will contribute marring. I suggest going over it again with the blue pad and the XMT 2, working it in for 5 minutes once you kick it up to 5. After that go over it again with the XMT 1 or the XMT carnauba finishing glaze and the white pad. If the XMT1 work again for 5 minutes on speed 5. If the carnauba finishing glaze, no need to break down, just spread it evenly on speed 4 until it is transluscent and then buff off with a quality MF. After this you should be golden. :)

nick19
01-27-2007, 10:02 PM
even on black?

Black is usually easier to work on, but harder to make perfect. If that makes any sense.

Where as white is harder to work on, but easier to make perfect.

Black paint is usually softer, and easier to fix, but marring and swirl trails are more common on black. And thus require additional steps to make perfect. If you're careful, you could skip #2 usually if you use #3. You could go from #3 to #1 or even in some cases, skip #1. It all depends on your skill.

I don't personally use XMT BTW.

-Nick
5-Star Auto Detailing

nick19
01-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Remember if you use XMT finishing glaze, not to use a sealant, as there will be bonding issues. DP's finishing glaze is the only "glaze" I know you can add a sealant to without bonding issues.

-Nick :cheers:
5-Star Auto Detailing

Strokin04
01-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Which system do you use Nick? Mike...