PDA

View Full Version : When are you considered a business?

Pages : [1] 2

New Image
07-23-2011, 02:54 PM
So I've been detailing cars here and there for a while now and I'm a full time student and I detail on weekends for a little extra cash. When are you considered a business and have to do all those things that come with being a business

loudog2
07-23-2011, 02:55 PM
When you tell the IRS.:dblthumb2:

JonMiles
07-23-2011, 03:03 PM

:iagree:

BobbyG
07-23-2011, 03:11 PM

:iagree: So don't....Otherwise they'll keep asking for donations to their cause... :laughing:

New Image
07-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Reasoned I asked is...I had a client write a check out to me but in the "business name". What should I do?

Plan b Detail
07-23-2011, 04:36 PM
In my opinion, I would give him back the check and either have him pay you cash, write a check in your personal name, or set up the square credit card terminal and charge through that. Hope it all works out

WindyCity
07-23-2011, 05:00 PM
if you have a business name then you are a business! Get your business registered with the county/state and open a checking account so you can cash the check. I have a free business checking account at harris bank.

And whether you are a business or not you always are supposed to claim the income on your taxes!

WindyCity
07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
:iagree: So don't....Otherwise they'll keep asking for donations to their cause... :laughing:

LMFAO and asking for the required donation never ends!

In my opinion, I would give him back the check and either have him pay you cash, write a check in your personal name, or set up the square credit card terminal and charge through that. Hope it all works out

It doesn't take much to set up a business checking, so if you plan on using the business name then why not make it legit?

vinyldoctor
07-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Thats why I am Corey Blake The Vinyl Doctor. not The Vinyl Doctor.
I tryed to get a license once, they wanted to say I am a upolsterer.
and I am not. I wouldn't know what to do with a hammer and nails if you gave me some. I am lucky if I know how to make lunch.

Rav777
07-23-2011, 05:17 PM

That's why cash is king ahem :D

ScubaCougr
07-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I figure I'm a business when I get a few paying customers not already friends or relatives.

As for the check, they are all processed electronically The bank is very unlikely to notice. Endorse it, deposit it, done. Let the bank tell you there's a problem before assuming there is one.

oldmodman
07-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Reasoned I asked is...I had a client write a check out to me but in the "business name". What should I do?

Sign the back and deposit it. I have never had a bank question a check being deposited.
I once deposited a check made out to "Bozo" and it was accepted with no questions.

loudog2
07-23-2011, 08:58 PM
If you are a business, then please consider insurance to protect yourself.

New Image
07-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah I'm thinking of signing and call it a day

skipper1
07-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Since you're a student and probably in debt to your eyeballs, I would only accept cash and I wouldn't be asking questions like this on an open forum. You never know who's watching and needing a promotion.