PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Expensive wax here (+300$)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

jpegs13
07-25-2011, 01:41 AM
........Marketing plays a HUGE role in this and some feel the more it costs the better the product. Some also fall prey to peer pressure; Hey, what wax are you using on your Lambo, Collinite 845 at $15.00 a pop? Probably not but I think you see what I'm driving at. This and the most likely fact if you are fortunate enough to own a Lambo you probably aren't interested in what your detailer uses as long as it satisfies you............

It's not about the wax or LSP, it's about the prep. Personally I love Fuzion on my Lambo. Trust me, I have enough different waxes to put them in my will and hand them down for the next 10 generations :laughing:.

And I have a long story ( too long to post here) about a certain detailer and why I got into detailing my own cars. But Bobby, you're right, most of the guys from the car club I belong to figure the more expensive the wax, the better it must be.

And like you said, to each his own

BillE
07-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Quickie story...

Couple of years back buddy of mine was telling me how overpriced 'ABCXYZ' wax is SO much better than what I was using (we've all heard 'that' story). I found a nice looking 'crystal' bottle and fill it with good ol' Meg Cleaner/Wax (A-12?). I used (and still use) that on 'the work truck' (and the snow blower/lawn mower, etc...LOL).

He saw me using the 'expensive' wax from the pretty bottle, all he could say was, "WOW-you can really see the difference!"

He never knew (or knows) that I was using the same product as always.

Nuff said...

Bill

BobbyG
07-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Quickie story...

Couple of years back buddy of mine was telling me how overpriced 'ABCXYZ' wax is SO much better than what I was using (we've all heard 'that' story). I found a nice looking 'crystal' bottle and fill it with good ol' Meg Cleaner/Wax (A-12?). I used (and still use) that on 'the work truck' (and the snow blower/lawn mower, etc...LOL).

He saw me using the 'expensive' wax from the pretty bottle, all he could say was, "WOW-you can really see the difference!"

Nuff said...

Bill

Bill, you dauwwg you! :laughing:

Sounds like the old snake oil in a bottle to me! :laughing:

cobraa
07-25-2011, 10:29 AM
that story is funny!

mdb917
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Funny story BillE.

There are people who purchase things all the time that think if I pay more, it's better. Can you say designer clothing?

In some cases you get what you pay for so it's not an all in or all out proposition.

alko
07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
My lady just got me some Swissvax Concorso for my birthday. VERY expensive...it advertises on their website for $280. She said she bought it somewhere else and also found a generous coupon for the product. Now, she has heard me talking about Swissvax before and wanted to surprise me with it. I sent her a link to the cheapest one they have, which is $99, but she took it two grades higher. I can't tell you if it is worth it or not. I haven't had enough experience with other products to compare. Am I satisfied with it? Yes. Would I pay that much money for it? Probably not. Am I a lucky guy...he!! yeah. I did notice a significant difference from comparing before and after application. The instructions tell you to leave the car out in the sun for 3 hours after applying. We left to run some errands and 4 hours later we came back and the car looked siginifcantly darker, deeper, and enhanced look. Again...I haven't had much to compare to, as I am a newbie at all this. It smells great!!! LOL!

FUNX650
07-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Since I enjoy "sealants" so much, I don't use many "waxes". Meguiar's and Colly "hybrid wax" products for example, are some of them. And, their price ranges are considerably lower than +$300 waxes. :)

The money I save, then, can go towards purchasing more "Car Show & Fair/Festival Food" during the summer/fall. That, and paying a few bills. :D

Bob

oldmodman
07-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Quickie story...

Nuff said...

Bill

I used to do that with booze while in college. There used to be a local store called Fedco and they had a house brand called Fedcal. Stuff tasted fine but had absolutely no cachet.
After pouring it into the expensive, name brand bottle nobody ever complained.

Just like with wax I guess.:dblthumb2:

Barry Theal
09-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Some will wear a Timex while others can afford a Rolex, Stick with what you prefer and use it often.

Rei86
09-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Do you need that item? Yes or no?

That's all you gotta ask yourself. To someone people anything can be justified because they had to have it. To others, meh.

To each his own.

cutter
09-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Just throwin' in my .02 cents....I've used DP Max Wax and have gotten 6-8 weeks of protection and shine....I just washed and the beading was spectacular...I did this LSP with Pinnacle SSII for giggles and kicks...It's a little more expensive than the DP Max Wax and the shine is supposed to be superior...I can't tell, I haven't had it in the sunlight yet...

Find what you like and use it...If using a $1250.00 wax works for you, then use it..If Collonite 845 at $15.00 a pop works for you (works for me) then use it.

I've got some "Jeff Wax" that sells for $2500.00 for 16oz. ....If anyone is interested I also have, some swampland in FL for $1250.00 an acre, and the Brooklyn Bridge is on the table for $9000.00....Anyone interested contact me...lol

lexterminator
06-23-2012, 10:57 PM
To me Pinnacle Souveran is the best "deal" and easiest to use. I have tried Swissvax Mirage and Concorso, Zymol Destiny and Atlantique from samples.

Mirage doesnt seem any better than Souveran in any aspects. Concorso, Destiny and Atlantique seem shinier, better sheeting and are longer lasting. I have to say that the Atlantique is the best to repel dust and the car stays cleaner and shines longer. Was the toughest to buff (60% carnauba) but is the longest lasting and does seem to give the best result regardless of the price I have tried. Would like to try the Swissvax Crystal Rock if it would ever exist in a sampler size.

But none of them are easier to use and bang for the buck as Souveran. Zymol do offer sampler kits and frequently on sale which makes it a very good deal for 3 x 2 oz if you are interested in trying it. I would consider Concorso the best compromise for someone that would want to try something higher than Souveran, it lasts longer and is very easy to use. Cheers.

Vegas Transplant
06-24-2012, 02:45 AM
Testosterone!! :laughing:

Nuff said...

Bill

AG'ers are hilarious!!!

SIXTY3
06-24-2012, 03:38 AM
So far, I can say that wolfgang is the wax I use most for high-end detail or long lasting wax.

If the owner want long lasting protection, I tend to use sealant or if he do lots of track or like to wax is car himself.

if I want wetness, I tend to use Signature II or VW Red.. last a good 2 month-3 months instead of Souveran.. I now use souveran only on my own personal car or friend's car.

If I want pop to flake, I tend to use pete'53 because natty red don't last enought.

I'm still tempting to try 5050. anyone recommand it?

I use 5050 regularly, I don't have a lot compare it to other than PB nattys blue. All I can say is it's very easy to apply and remove and gives an amazing shine on black

Klasse Act
06-24-2012, 08:22 AM
I agree about prep, there's NO getting around it! To date, the most expensive wax I've ever bought was Pinnacle Sourvern and that was about 6 years ago and cost me $60.00. When I use up my current Griot's wax stick I'm going to be buying/trying their new caranuba wax for sure but right now, I'm all about sealants and only use caranuba when I'm feeling nostalgic, LOL! (it does make the paint look different than the sealants though, a good different)

It seems with alot of the uber waxes you get caught up in the story of where its sourced from, the container it comes in general the story about it. Then there's the paid or "unpaid" salesmen for it here and on other sites, almost a "build it and they will come" way of looking at it.