PDA

View Full Version : caribbean islands

Pages : [1] 2

mbkite
07-23-2011, 08:39 AM
What island in the Caribbean have you been too
so far I have only been to Jamaica
but planning a trip to st lucia to see the pitons..
Any one hear ever been to the Caribbean..

Mike Phillips
07-23-2011, 08:47 AM
What island in the Caribbean have you been too
so far I have only been to Jamaica
but planning a trip to st lucia to see the pitons..
Any one hear ever been to the Caribbean..

Jamaica

Shared my tip with Richy in anther thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/37168-vacation-video.html) about locating resorts with Pool Bars.

$$$

When I went to Jamaica and stayed at a place with a swim-up pool bar, it got me thinking about people loosing money for example trying to shove change into the pocket of their swimsuit.

So I grabbed my goggles and a fin and swam around the pool till I found the water filters under the waterfalls. There were three large grates, about 2' by 2' squared, they may have been larger. Stuck to the grates was paper money.

The first day I checked the filter grates I pulled off $168.00 and each day after that I pulled of anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00 for a week.

I love swim-up pool bars and always take my goggles and swim fins when I go on a vacation.

:xyxthumbs:

Bunky
07-23-2011, 08:48 AM
I have been to some.

St Lucia is very hilly in the south end with most hotels on the north side although there are some in the south -- on slopes with walks down to the beach. The roads are not that great. If you can fly into the north airport (served by prop planes) it is much more convenient to the north. The main airport is in the south (jet flights from Miami, etc) and over 40 minutes from the north.

Capa1970
07-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Puerto Rico, which is a US territory and so you dont need a passport to go and the same currency. I just got back a couple of days ago and not once did it reach 88 degrees in San Juan. Mind you that during the same period of time (July 6-20) in Oklahoma we had triple digit temps.

CaneCharger
07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I have been to:
Bahamas
Cayman Islands
Jamaica
Puerto Rico
Saint Lucia
Turks and Caicos Islands
St. Thomas
St. Croix

Jhaight11
07-23-2011, 11:26 AM
I have been to:
Bahamas
Cayman Islands
Jamaica
Puerto Rico
Saint Lucia
Turks and Caicos Islands
St. Thomas
St. Croix
:whs: except st croix.

mbkite
07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Well how was ST Lucia..
I was thinking of Ladera on the hill side to over look the pitons..

unclestu
07-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Yea Maan I nto have been to Jamaica. Love their Blue Mountai coffee. The Gongi is everywere. When I checked into my room in the bathroom sink was a bag of pot. Must have been 1/2lb. The manager of the hotel explained to me that many guests leave behind what pot they had left over from whay they had purchased on the island. It seemed that at the time the US government was fining Air Jamaica $10,000.00 per incident were pot was found on a passenger returning to the USA. They where selling the stuff every place. It was sick the guides at Dunns River Falls where even trying to sell it to you while they took you up the falls.
I have also been to Haitii the people there are so poor they would beg for you to give them your towel (and this was in the 80's). I rented a driver to take me around the island and he told me that his brother lived in NY. I gave him one of my business cards for the dealership that I worked for in NYC. About 2 years later a french speaking black man came into the dealership and asked for me. It was this guys brother that lived in NY. He hasd the card thaI gave his brother two years ago. The guy ended up buying 20 15 passenger vans from me over the next two months. I guess it paid off giving his brother a very generous tip for driving me around the island LOL
If you like to scuba dive try Bonair it is part of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonair and Curasol) It was a very small island with nothing to do other than dive. Water visability over 150 feet
Aruba was nice a lot to do but what ever you do do not swim on the side of the isalnd that has the water treatment plant (yes the make their own water as it is a very barron islan) I was told that they dump the garbage into the ocean near the plant and that attracts the sharks.
When I was in St Barts I rented a jeep. I had a flat and theire was no spare. It seems the rental co was forced to remove the spare tires from the cars due to theft. The forgot to return the spare to my rental when I rented it. Theft on an isalnd that is only 3miles accross. Makes you wonder.
I can go on for ever I have done a lot of traveling but I can tell you this There is no place like the good old USA.
Stu

CaneCharger
07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Well how was ST Lucia..
I was thinking of Ladera on the hill side to over look the pitons..

I like Saint Lucia, but if I had a choice to go back and I had to pick one - I am heading to St. Thomas!

Jhaight11
07-23-2011, 01:31 PM
i got to play a round of golf at mahogany run when i was in st thomas. hardest course ive ever played.

Elite Pro
07-23-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye- off the coast of Belize...

mbkite
07-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I have heard Belize is beautiful But i also heard it has a lot of big animals like tigers and big snakes.. wife would kill me..

Porsche Pilot
07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Bahamas
Haiti
Puerto Rico
Jamaica
Antigua
Barbados
St. Kitts/St. Nevis
Montseratt
Grenada
Dominican Republic
St. Thomas
St. Croix
Trinidad/Tobago (Hottest place on earth next to hell!)

and a bunch of others.

Best bang for your buck? Anguilla. Extremely friendly people, clean and beautiful. Skip the Bahamas altogether...tourist trap. A good second choice are the twin volcanic islands of St. Kitts/St. Nevis. Anguilla and St. Kitts are very laid back and my kind of place for relaxing and forgetting about the world for a bit. If you want to party like it's 1999 then head to any other island and pass out on the beach.

Just be very careful of law enforcement in the islands. Corruption is rampant and it is often difficult to tell the difference between the guys in uniform and the criminals. I have transported many Americans out of the islands after they were arrested for absolutely nothing and held till they could pay a large bail (ransom).

mbkite
07-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Sounds like you got a sail boat..

Capa1970
07-23-2011, 05:51 PM
I have heard Belize is beautiful But i also heard it has a lot of big animals like tigers and big snakes.. wife would kill me..

You mean jaguars, the largest cat of the Americas. Belize is beautiful.