PDA

View Full Version : Which pre wax cleaner/paint prep would you use prior to opti coat application

unclestu
07-23-2011, 07:06 AM
I am planning on applying Opti Coat 2.0 on my brand new Cadillac CTS. I want to get a good product to remove any coatings that are on the car from the dealer as well as any oil or polish residue that might be left on the paint after I give it a light polish with some 85rd.
I see that the Griote Garage Paint Prep is on BOGO.
What is the difference is between the Griotes Garage Pre Wax Cleaner and the Griotes Paint Prep?

This is the procedure that I plan on following for the project. Please let me know if I am missing something.

1) Wash car Optimum power wash
2) Clay the car
3) Apply Iron X iron remover
4) Wash car Optimum power wash
5? Dry car (blower)
6) Polish car with 85rd using a Flex 3401 and gray pad (I do have white, blue, red,
gold as well)
7) Apply a pre wax cleaner or a paint prep (either one of the Griotes products as
mentioned above or any other product that might be recommended)
8) Apply the Opti Coat 2.0

I phoned my order in for the Opti Caot last night but thought I should add one of these products as well.
Thanks in advance for any feedback and with a little luck maybe I will get some feedback before it is to late to add anything to my order:)

Stu

silverfox
07-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Big difference ...paint prep strips everything. Silicones, wax, sealant, polish, etc. Pre wax cleaner is used after polishing and before applying LSP. I'd get the BOGO and never look back. It beats any other way to prepare for Opti coat and it's safe.

Mike Phillips
07-23-2011, 08:44 AM
What is the difference is between the Griotes Garage Pre Wax Cleaner and the Griotes Paint Prep?

One product is for removing polishing residue before applying wax, one product is for removing wax and sealants before re-waxing.

Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner, prewax paint cleaner, paint prep cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-pre-wax-cleaner.html)

Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner cleans and conditions auto paint after polishing to restore maximum gloss before wax application. Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner prepares the paint to accept a wax or paint sealant for the best looking, longest lasting finish. Don't wax without it!

Professional detailers have known for years that you should use a prewax cleaner to clean and condition the paint after polishing and before applying wax or sealant. Minute polish residue can remain on the paint surface and may be difficult to remove. Richard Griot developed this Pre-Wax Cleanser so you can safely, quickly and easily prepare the paint surface to accept wax or sealant.

Made from a carefully blended combination of citrus oil and surfactants, Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner won't harm the paint, and it is fast and easy to use. Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner instantly lifts polish residue and anything else that might interfere with the bonding of the wax or sealant. It's especially useful for cleaning around body seams and emblems, where polish residue may tough to remove. The spray formula makes it easy to clean crevices and grooves.

Once the paint is properly cleaned and conditioned with Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner, the wax or paint sealant will bond to the paint, uninhibited. The finish will look cleaner, clearer, and the wax may even last longer.

Simply spray Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner onto a freshly polished vehicle and wipe dry with a soft microfiber towel. It's that easy. Next apply Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax or Paint Sealant.

Before you wax, prepare your paint finish for the best possible shine with Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner.

Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)

Use Griot's Garage Paint Prep to remove old wax and polysilicones for a squeaky clean start before you polish and wax. This pre-wax cleaner spray preps your vehicle for a the best possible finish by promoting better bonding of waxes and a more even shine from polishes. Griot's Garage Paint Prep is the pre-wax cleaner you spray on!

Many car care products contain silicone and synthetic oils. Other products can't bond properly or interact negatively with these silicone-laden products. It's important to use Griot's Garage Paint Prep to remove all of the old waxes, polysilicones, and oils so fresh applications of products can properly bond to the surface. Waxes and sealants will last longer and any paint product will be easier to wipe off when you use Griot's Garage Paint Prep first.

Griot's Garage Paint Prep is easy to use and is safe for vinyl and rubber. Overspray will not harm vinyl or rubber.

This is also the perfect prep for any painting project. Griot's Garage Paint Prep eliminates fish eyes that occur when silicone isn't cleaned from a surface before applying paint. Don't let your paint project be ruined by skipping this simple yet important step. Spray on Griot's Garage Paint Prep, allow to dwell for 2-6 minutes, and wipe! Griot's Garage Paint Prep safely cleans walls, counters, floors, and any painted surface.

Griot's Garage Paint Prep is a new way to prep your paint for the perfect finish. Just spray it on and wipe away old waxes and silicones.

:)

qaz393
07-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Videos/2011_nm_paint-prep_VS_pre-wax-cleanser.flv (http://s7d4.scene7.com/s7/video/flash_video.jsp?movie=Videos/2011_nm_paint-prep_VS_pre-wax-cleanser.flv&company=GriotsGarage&config=GriotsGarage/VideoConfig&locale=en)

bigez
01-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Ok, so I am going to polish, should I use the paint-prep or the pre-wax cleanser before Opti-Coat? Does it matter? I'm thinking the paint-prep just to be "safer" and not leave behind anything...

WRAPT C5Z06
01-07-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm thinking the paint-prep just to be "safer" and not leave behind anything...
Good choice my friend. :dblthumb2:

Rinse it off, dry, apply opti-coat.

You don't "spray n' wipe" paint prep, you have to rinse it off.