PDA

View Full Version : When and if to step up to a rotary and if you had to paint your car what would you paint it

scoobydann
07-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Here is what I am working with-2002 Toyota 4runner with a soft black SS. A pass through the swirl-o-matic left me with about 10 pea sized dents on my passanger door and various door dings around the rest of the truck. IT drives me absolutely batty when the paint is nice and pefefrct after a polish and wax and i see the dings.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/scoobydann/DSC01702.jpg

I want to repaint it. My question is what do I request it be painted with. I think I want a somewhat hard BC/CC as i do romp through the desert at high speeds and desert pinstriping is for the most part unavoidable.

second question is-

when and if and upgrade to a rotary is appropriate.

I have a small arsenal of products Meguiers, Menzerna, Dodo juice, Wolfgang, Collinite and PC. I am pretty comfortable with everything I have and like what I am getting out of the PC, and I only do side jobs. BUT i know a rotary would get beter results, if anything on my own car.

Should I stick with the PC or mabye get a flex, or step it up to a rotary?

Thanks

Dan

Feed back please

tuscarora dave
07-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I'd say get a rotary right now before you ship that thing off to the paint shop.

Take a nice romp or two through the desert and bring it back and practice with the rotary. If you can get black to look awesome with a rotary then all other colors seem easy in comparison.

Having and being skilled with a rotary can cut a lot of time off of the few jobs that you do tackle. and you have the perfect opportunity to learn sitting right in your own driveway.

Cool looking truck by the way. :xyxthumbs:

LuxuryMobile
07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
That is a great question with no definite answer.

With the new tools and upgraded DA's, a rotary isn't completely necessary IMO.

You may want to look at a Flex or more powerful DA like a Griots. Also consider some of the newer DA pads from Megs as they are yielding great results for most people who have tried them. Or, pick up a rotary and practice before taking it to your personal vehicle or client's vehicles. It really all depends on what YOU want to do. You will here both sides of this.

Porsche Pilot
07-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Although I have a rotary, I rarely pick it up. The Flex 3401 is a pretty powerful little instrument. I have corrected notoriously hard Vettes, Audi's and Benz's with it. A little more time on details? Yes. But, I have been noticing a trend with my clients. Maybe you guys are to. My clients are becoming more and more educated about the paint correction process and detailing in general. They are on the car care forums and make/model specific forums. I have a Corvette client that knows all about the hard clear and that rotaries are the go-to. He has learned about burn through and holograms and refuses to let one touch his car. The Flex works great and he demands it.

With all that said, mastering a rotary is a great feather in the cap and gives you options but for me, give me my 3401, some good pads and some Menzerna and I am happy as a clam in garlic butter sauce.

jamesn184
07-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I once thought bad thoughts about Rotary's but since being more "educated" and also since obtaining one.. they are not the big bad monster they are betrayed to be.
I'm sure it takes a while to master one but if you start off slow and work your way up and just make sure you do alot of reading up and practice