PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Step For The Megs Microfber DA Kit

tommythecat
07-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I was wondering what everyone is using for the finishing step with their Megs Microfiber systems. I have read a lot of people trying other products instead of the finishing wax. I have the kit in my cart right now and was wondering if I should throw something else in there for the finishing step. Thanks! :xyxthumbs:

silverfox
07-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I've read with much interest on another forum that some guys are having great results using Menzerna PO85RD using the DA MF finishing disc; between 4000 and 4800 opm (setting 3.5 on the PC-7424XP). PO85RD supposedly finishes down as well as a rotary with a black foam finishing pad on some paints. As always, your results may vary.

I am going to try that as well as soon as it gets cooler.

tommythecat
07-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, this will be my first time polishing my car. I am just concerned that the finishing wax will have to much in the way of fillers. Doing IPA wipe downs after that step pretty much negates the benefits to it being a polish/wax all in one. Depending on other feedback I may just have to try the p085rd.

Niele
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I've read with much interest on another forum that some guys are having great results using Menzerna PO85RD using the DA MF finishing disc; between 4000 and 4800 opm (setting 3.5 on the PC-7424XP). PO85RD supposedly finishes down as well as a rotary with a black foam finishing pad on some paints. As always, your results may vary.

I am going to try that as well as soon as it gets cooler.
Yeah, this is something I am also planning on trying when I get some time. Please post your results if you get to it before I do.

Thanks!

tommythecat
07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, this is something I am also planning on trying when I get some time. Please post your results if you get to it before I do.

Thanks!

Well, buying the kit today to take advantage of the 20%off and free shipping deal. Purchasing the GG DA in a week or two. Can't wait to get to work on my car. :buffing:

DonMTV
07-22-2011, 02:31 PM
I have been contemplating the finishing step too. I want to put a sealant on my 2003 Cobra, so I thought of skipping the Finishing Wax. I thought that the compound did a great job, and took out a lot of the issues. I might need to go over them again to get rid of them completely.

So, I thought about using Menzerna Super Finish, followed up with 85rd. Not sure I want to do middle step as paint looks great under halogens. So, the question is, using the Finishing Disk with 85rd an improvement over a blue/crimson foam pad? or should use Finishing Disk with 85rd, then jewel with 85rd?

Any discussion is appreciated,
Don

tommythecat
07-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I was wondering this as well. If I go with PO85rd will I use the MF finishing pad or should I pick up a foam finishing pad.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Well, this will be my first time polishing my car. I am just concerned that the finishing wax will have to much in the way of fillers. Doing IPA wipe downs after that step pretty much negates the benefits to it being a polish/wax all in one.
It will absolutelty have fillers. However, do a small test spot with an IPA wipedown, and if you like the results, then you can proceed to do the whole car with the finishing wax.

I have been contemplating the finishing step too. I want to put a sealant on my 2003 Cobra, so I thought of skipping the Finishing Wax. I thought that the compound did a great job, and took out a lot of the issues. I might need to go over them again to get rid of them completely.

So, I thought about using Menzerna Super Finish, followed up with 85rd. Not sure I want to do middle step as paint looks great under halogens. So, the question is, using the Finishing Disk with 85rd an improvement over a blue/crimson foam pad? or should use Finishing Disk with 85rd, then jewel with 85rd?

Any discussion is appreciated,
Don
Unless you're using a rotary, and your paint is finishing clean with super finish, I see zero need to follow up with 85rd.

pfix
07-23-2011, 10:01 AM
I used M205 with MF finishing disc after using the D300 and the cut pad. Rasky had suggested this as an alternative to using the D301. I did not want the protection of the D301 since I was applying Opti Seal to the car.

The 205 worked fantastic with the MF finishing disc for me. Use small amounts, 2 pea size drops on the pad is all I used after priming. Clean the pad frequently.

dougaross
07-23-2011, 10:38 AM
I used M205 with MF finishing disc after using the D300 and the cut pad. Rasky had suggested this as an alternative to using the D301. I did not want the protection of the D301 since I was applying Opti Seal to the car.

The 205 worked fantastic with the MF finishing disc for me. Use small amounts, 2 pea size drops on the pad is all I used after priming. Clean the pad frequently.
:iagree: