PDA

View Full Version : Leather Cleaner/Treatment

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Burke
07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm sure its been asked before (searched alot of older threads) and I hate to ask again but I'm going to anyway :D

I have 04 Chevy Suburban with gray leather seats. I don't think they are filthy but think they could use a little cleaning and treatment/ conditioining

I have seen a lot of talk about a APC for cleaning but not sure what I should use to protect or condition them

I have Megs APC+.......would that work as a cleaner mixed at 10:1 ? Or should I get some OPC ?

What would be a good product to treat or condition ??

I haven't did any leather work for customers ....yet...so I would like to get something for general cleaning and conditioning.

Thanks for any suggestions

HeavyMetal
07-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Most leather is coated so unless it's heavily soiled or cracked and degraded, Woolite diluted 16:1 is a very good and mild cleaner. It's a bit questionable as to whether a conditoner will do anything for coated leather. However, I used the Lexus conditioner supplied by the leather manufacturer on my wife's ES350 and it seemed to make the leather a bit softer.

I personally would not use APC on leather. I've seen WAY too many posts about leather staining from APC. Yeah, you can argue that they weren't careful, but sorry, I'm just not interested in a problem caused by a bit of inattention. If the leather is dirty or degraded enough that Woolite won't take care of it, I'd use a leather-specific cleaner like Lexol, Leatherique or Meg's.

CrownKote
07-22-2011, 08:58 AM
APC+ will work well at the 10:1 dilution (if really bad bump it up to 8:1) I would recommend Megs Aloe Care as a "cheap" Conditioner... Or you could use some Lexol to condition...

Spray the APC+ on a MF and clean that way DO NOT spray directly onto the leather as it may cause "spotting"

If you want the best for your truck go for the Leatherique system and give it the time it needs to work!

I use APC and Megs Aloe on customer cars unless they want the best for their seats...

Mike Burke
07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks...they are not soiled or cracked.....they are in very good shape.

Just wanting to keep them that way.....

pixelmonkey
07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
another vote for Leatherique!

follow the directions and keep the conditioner on the seats for 24+ hours without driving. search the forum for results other members have had with using the conditioner.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

daveinsweethome
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
+1 on leatherique, apc is too fickle for me

judyb
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after.
Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty.
Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain. 'Conditioners' will not do any protecting on leather even if they say they do as there will not be enough active
ingredient in them to do anything.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be

Protect from new with a good quality leather protector
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

Simple steps of cleaning & protecting will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

We would advise against using a MF cloth to clean leather particularly older leather as they have been known to remove unstable finish.

Using tested leather cleaning products is probably a safer option than APC because strengths/dilutions can vary so much and then technical help is difficult because no one really knows what or why something has happened.

Hope this helps

Judyb

supercharged
07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Leather DOES needs to be conditioned as well as protected. You will hear a lot of people from the other side of the pond say it does NOT, mainly because leather in their cars lasts longer then the car itself, thefore protectant is sufficient enough...
For American/Japanese/German cars I would STRONGLY reccommend to use conditioner REGULARLY...That's means at LEAST every 3 months on a daily driver, however would condition driver's seat twice as often as the rest of interior...APC 10:1 will work, but there are better products out there...

Jimmie
07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm currently using Pinnacle leather cleaner, and Pinnacle leather conditioner. It's hard to see how these could be beat.I know the Leatherique is popular also.
Before the Pinnacle I was using Wolfgang leather cleaner and conditioner. I loved the Wolfgang too. May go back to it someday for a change.

Mike Burke
07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
ok...so I will not use the APC+ for leather cleaner.

I'm currently using Pinnacle leather cleaner, and Pinnacle leather conditioner.

That was going to my next question.......Pinnacle products......are they ok for something simple ??

Jimmie
07-22-2011, 05:22 PM
ok...so I will not use the APC+ for leather cleaner.

That was going to my next question.......Pinnacle products......are they ok for something simple ??

Doesn't get any easier Mike. The cleaner is sort of a citrus base that will take everything down to clean leather. The conditioner is rich. Good look and feel.
I use an all purpose microfiber for the cleaning, then one of those mango colored mf sponges to spread the conditioner, then a clean mf for buffing.

cmichael258
07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
My vote goes to Leather Master.

:dblthumb2:

judyb
07-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Leather DOES needs to be conditioned as well as protected. You will hear a lot of people from the other side of the pond say it does NOT, mainly because leather in their cars lasts longer then the car itself, thefore protectant is sufficient enough...
For American/Japanese/German cars I would STRONGLY reccommend to use conditioner REGULARLY...That's means at LEAST every 3 months on a daily driver, however would condition driver's seat twice as often as the rest of interior...APC 10:1 will work, but there are better products out there...

Yes leather does need conditioning but this is done with moisture which will keep the leather supple. As most leather is coated/finished leather conditioners cannot get through the coatings on the leather (wherever they are from) and so are of no benefit and they can actually cause problems to the finish if they sit on the surface of the leather. Keeping leather clean is the best way to help leather last longer and protecting it is the best way of doing this, using products that attract more dirt are
counterproductive.

Mike Burke
07-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks judyb.....so would you recommend this kit from Leather Master ?

Leather Master Car Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit, Leather Master Leather cleaner, Leather protectant, leather conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-protection-kit.html)

I'm assuming you are associated with Leather Master ?

Thank You

judyb
07-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I am not associated in any way with LM although we did used to run their technical department in the UK and previsouly were associated with Uniters/Stainsafe/LM in the USA.
LM products were always considered to be the best products about 5 years ago but now there are more effective products available.

Cheers
Judyb