PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna PO85RD alternative?

Pages : [1] 2

Cat ji
07-22-2011, 06:33 AM
What would be a good alternative to Menzerna PO85RD? (I don't want a liter / 32 oz., too much for international shipping too.)
I want a very fine finishing/"jewelling" polish, no filler/glaze.
Maybe PO106FA?

BobbyG
07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
What would be a good alternative to Menzerna PO85RD? (I don't want a liter / 32 oz., too much for international shipping too.)
Maybe PO106FA?

Menzerna PO85RD is the finest polish that I'm aware of. The only logical choice I see is to go one step down and give that a try but use a red pad. You'll have to do a test spot to see if it's what you want.

Good Luck

DLB
07-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Maybe PO106FA?
The only thing that is similar to my knowledge is 3M Ultrafina. You can get it in 16oz. at the AG Store:
3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish, 3M Ultrafina, 3M perfect it ultra fine polish, 3M Machine Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-ultrafine-polish-16oz.html)

I have used both, and they are pretty similar really. Just for the record though, I have the Menzerna on my shelf.

Your only saving grace though is that you can usually find the 3M stuff from your Local Paint and Body supply store. It will be the 32oz. most likely though, and expect to pay at least $50 for it.

DLB

05xrunner
07-22-2011, 07:22 AM
i found Sonax nanotech paint cleaner works VERY well. it is especially great on very soft paints..thats why i tried it out on my car.

Dr Oldz
07-22-2011, 07:37 AM
The only thing that is similar to my knowledge is 3M Ultrafina. You can get it in 16oz. at the AG Store:
3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish, 3M Ultrafina, 3M perfect it ultra fine polish, 3M Machine Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-ultrafine-polish-16oz.html)

I have used both, and they are pretty similar really. Just for the record though, I have the Menzerna on my shelf.

Your only saving grace though is that you can usually find the 3M stuff from your Local Paint and Body supply store. It will be the 32oz. most likely though, and expect to pay at least $50 for it.

DLB

:iagree:

maxniman
07-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Menzerna PO85RD is the finest polish that I'm aware of. The only logical choice I see is to go one step down and give that a try but use a red pad. You'll have to do a test spot to see if it's what you want.

Good Luck

any idea/guess how megs d301 compares to 85rd?

thanks

Old Tiger
07-22-2011, 07:53 AM
The Blackfire polish with glaze is very good IME!

rfinkle2
07-22-2011, 09:11 AM
PO106FA has more cut, but finishes the same.

embolism
07-22-2011, 10:01 AM
does it matter if you are using a DA or rotary?

I use 106FA b/c I didn't want 32 oz of PO85rd.
Same abrasives, but 106FA has a bit more of them.

DLB
07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
does it matter if you are using a DA or rotary?

I use 106FA b/c I didn't want 32 oz of PO85rd.
Same abrasives, but 106FA has a bit more of them.Most will say that you can't truly jewel paint without a rotary, and I agree. I tried, but there is no comparison on the luster you get with 85rd and rotary.

DLB

embolism
07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
have you tried the MF finishing discs with PO85rd?

silverfox
07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
I've read on other forums that some guys are getting just as good of results with a DA polisher using PO85Rd with a Megs MF finishing disc...as they were with a rotary and black foam pad. I have to believe that's true....it wasn't too long ago that people were saying you could never compound with a DA polisher as good as you could with a rotary...the DA MF system changed all that.

budinsc
07-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Good Luck

i agree bobby. i took your recent advice on my thread re removing micro scratches on my wifes 07 mb hard clear coat. i dropped down to a 5.5 from a 6.5 pad and used menzerna super intensive polish. was using m105 and found the menz to cut much easier and faster plus polishing down to a finish that was ready for a sealant. however i did polish again with m ultimate polish followed by a glaze then finished up with ultima sealant. the paint looks 1" thick!

thanks again for your super advice.

budinsc

DLB
07-22-2011, 12:26 PM
have you tried the MF finishing discs with PO85rd?
I have not. I was speaking primarily of using the PO85RD with foam pads (as that is the most common). I can't validate or deny that the finishing discs will leave you with as good of a finish.

I know I can really amp up the shine though with the 4-1/4" Blue CCS Pads and a rotary with the PO85 though.

DLB

Tom Weed
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
While I have not tried it, Optimum Finish polish is supposed to be similar I think?