PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat question

arack
07-21-2011, 11:21 PM
I am going to take the plunge and buy opti coat for my 2011 Acura TL.

I am aware of the prep needed prior to apply this coating. I see that the paint must be stripped and pristine prior to applying this coating.

I currently have Klasse Sealant Glaze topped by Pinnacle Souveran carnuba wax.

Will the Klasse Sealant come off with the standard prep outlined on this forum? Or does the Opit Coat bond over top of the sealant? Thanks in advance for your help.

gatoman39
07-21-2011, 11:24 PM
if you clay, polish and IPA the car, all waxes and sealants will be removed. The Opticoat bonds over pristine paint and nothing else.

Dr Oldz
07-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Assuming you will be using a polish with mechanical abrasives in it (To level swirls), they will remove the KSG. Opti Coat needs to bond to cleaned paint and therefore will not bond properly to a sealant.

You prep should include the following

Wash
Clay
Polish to perfect the surface
A product to remove all polishing oils ads residuals(Opt suggest an IPA wipedown...Not my method BTW)
And last the application of OC 2.0!

Hope that helps. You can always contact Chris@Optimum as he is very helpful with his products!

arack
07-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Assuming you will be using a polish with mechanical abrasives in it (To level swirls), they will remove the KSG. Opti Coat needs to bond to cleaned paint and therefore will not bond properly to a sealant.

You prep should include the following

Wash
Clay
Polish to perfect the surface
A product to remove all polishing oils ads residuals(Opt suggest an IPA wipedown...Not my method BTW)
And last the application of OC 2.0!

Hope that helps. You can always contact Chris@Optimum as he is very helpful with his products!

Thanks. I put in my order today. I am going to use a fine polishing compound, since the car is only a couple of months old with no real swirls on it.

daveinsweethome
07-22-2011, 10:23 AM
just did a brand new car withopti coat and didnt feel a compound was needed used a med aggressive polish instead. wife ran through road paint two days later and it saved my butt. still have to take wheels off and do the wells.

ryanbabz71
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
What are some polishes you guys are using? Would poorboys be a good choice?

silverfox
07-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I would highly recommend Griot's Paint Prep...as a preparation for Opti Coat.

Chris Thomas
07-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks. I put in my order today. I am going to use a fine polishing compound, since the car is only a couple of months old with no real swirls on it.

Just remember that while polishing will remove your LSP, it may leave behind oils and residue of it's own. Be sure to do an IPA wipedown or a strong wash with Power Clean after polishing and before application.

arack
07-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Just remember that while polishing will remove your LSP, it may leave behind oils and residue of it's own. Be sure to do an IPA wipedown or a strong wash with Power Clean after polishing and before application.

Thanks, I will be utilizing the IPA wipedown prior to application.