PDA

View Full Version : On car life of DGPS?

shipkiller
07-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I have performed my search but cannot come up with a good (general) answer to this question.

Knowing that there are several factors that affect the life of a wax or sealant (or both), I am looking for a general or average life span for DGPS...
The AG store talks about longevity of DGPS as four to six months, but I expect that figure is derived from being used as a standalone wax/sealant.

I completely detailed/dewaxed/clayed my BMW Z4M Coupe' in November and applied DGPS. Then applied two good coats of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran over top. I drive my car daily (and on the Track) and it is garaged every night. I don't drive in the rain unless I get caught out... if the forecast calls for rain, I drive my truck.

I wash the car at least every two weeks, sometimes more often, using PoBoys car wash. Once a month another coat of wax gets applied. Either LS again or DP Max Wax. In the morning before I leave for work, I lightly go over the car with my California Duster just go get the light dust off.

So with this information, those of you that use DGPS, what longevity should I expect?

I usually do a full strip/clay/seal/wax every six months but work has kept me from doing it again so far....

I am very partial to the Pinnacle products, eg. Souveran, Liquid Souveran, Signature Series II. I bought the DP in a BOGO and I am trying to use it up...though, I am thinking of getting some Dodo Diamond White Hard and try that out...

FASTFRED
07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I have performed my search but cannot come up with a good (general) answer to this question.

Knowing that there are several factors that affect the life of a wax or sealant (or both), I am looking for a general or average life span for DGPS...
The AG store talks about longevity of DGPS as four to six months, but I expect that figure is derived from being used as a standalone wax/sealant.

I completely detailed/dewaxed/clayed my BMW Z4M Coupe' in November and applied DGPS. Then applied two good coats of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran over top. I drive my car daily (and on the Track) and it is garaged every night. I don't drive in the rain unless I get caught out... if the forecast calls for rain, I drive my truck.

I wash the car at least every two weeks, sometimes more often, using PoBoys car wash. Once a month another coat of wax gets applied. Either LS again or DP Max Wax. In the morning before I leave for work, I lightly go over the car with my California Duster just go get the light dust off.

So with this information, those of you that use DGPS, what longevity should I expect?

I usually do a full strip/clay/seal/wax every six months but work has kept me from doing it again so far....

I am very partial to the Pinnacle products, eg. Souveran, Liquid Souveran, Signature Series II. I bought the DP in a BOGO and I am trying to use it up...though, I am thinking of getting some Dodo Diamond White Hard and try that out...
I have had good success using DGPS topped with Souveran paste and easily got 6+ months.

Dr Oldz
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
In my area(NE PA) I have seen 4 as a general statement. They do use a ton of salt and such during the winter time and that drastically shorten the life span of any wax/sealant.

Flannigan
07-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Just to being up another suggestion, if you are already waxing once a month, why bother with the DGPS? Other than Souveran most waxes will last a month or more, so you really don't need the sealant if you are waxing it anyway. Just a thought.

KneeDragr
07-22-2011, 09:06 AM
My feeling is that in hot climates, length of product is determined solely by time outside, and is independent from what is applied on top. From my understanding, sealants degrade at certain rates and temperatures as does wax. The wax will not protect the sealant from the heat so they will both degrade at whatever rate they would have by themselves.

In colder climates I imagine chemicals, road salt and abrasion from washing and rain may contribute significantly more to the degradation of the wax or sealant. In that case, topping would be beneficial because the wax coating would protect the sealant for a period of time.

Seeing as you live by the beach, and I imagine get a lot of sun during the warm season, Id guess your sealant would probably only last 2-3 months if parked outside during the day, and the wax probably only 3-4 weeks.

CrownKote
07-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Just to being up another suggestion, if you are already waxing once a month, why bother with the DGPS? Other than Souveran most waxes will last a month or more, so you really don't need the sealant if you are waxing it anyway. Just a thought.

On my Rover (winter warrior and off road toy) I use DGPS then COL845 as a LSP I hit it once every 3-4 months with COL845 just to keep the paint protected as much as possible.

My theory on sealants for DD is if you seal it then wax it that combo will give you the longest life between recoats... I.e. The natural effects have many layers to get through before they hit your CC... and if applying regularly the sealant will last about twice as long...

OP: I feel that if you are applying wax over the sealant monthly then you will get the max of 6 months out of it...

Waxmax
07-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Durability is so hard to estimate. Even QDing once in a while or using a quick booster will affect it.

If you wax each month, I don't see how you'd even estimate the durability of the underlying sealant?

I wonder how the manufacturer estimates it?

Sounds like your car is well taken care of.

fj610
07-23-2011, 05:56 PM
My opinion is since you enjoy waxing once a month, id drop the sealent all together. Surely the wax will key better to clean paint rather than the DGS, which is quite slick and would provide a difficuld surface to key to .

shipkiller
07-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. That's sorta what I was figuring.

I find that my sessions with the clay/way etc. are sorta therapeutic. It allows me to totally clear the mind and not think of anything, with a side benefit of keeping the car clean.

fj610
07-23-2011, 07:15 PM
I feel the same with detailing, its one of the few things that will allow me to relax....

shipkiller
07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
My job allows for ZERO mistakes or failures, so detailing helps clear the mind.

I just ordered some more car wash, a big jar of Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax and another bottle of Collinite 845 . I have heard that Dodo its pretty good on White, so I decided to fine out.

Jenn1270
07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I feel the same with detailing, its one of the few things that will allow me to relax....

Agreed.

Robert8194
07-23-2011, 09:31 PM
What does it say about our day jobs that doing physical labor in 95 degree temp is stress relief?

Jenn1270
07-23-2011, 09:56 PM

What does it say about our day jobs that doing physical labor in 95 degree temp is stress relief?

Good point

Robert8194
07-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Good point

I know how stressful your job is. You deserve whatever relaxation you can get. Hang in there and keep the Pilot shining.