PDA

View Full Version : Ok, after the detail - now what???

CaneCharger
07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Well after spending all day detailing the Mustang - what is next?

I know washing once per week...anything else?

I put a coat of #845 on it this AM - she sure does sparkle!:xyxthumbs:

What if I want to try a different wax? - do I take everything off by polishing again?

Thoughts? Just trying to figure out where I go from here

Jeff

alko
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Great topic! I'm curious too.

kronos
07-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Jeff

Sit back and have a few cold ones! :cheers:

CaneCharger
07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Sit back and have a few cold ones! :cheers:

HA - have to do the wife's now!!!!

pixelmonkey
07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
start a transport business for ice cream eating day care kids?

to try a different wax you dont have to polish the car! just wash using a stripper, which will remove oils and waxes.

as for using a different wax, you can layer them by different brands. wax1 atop wax2... but keep in mind they will not appear the same as wax1 it's self or wax 2 it's self.

or take the advice of kronos
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

BobbyG
07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Jeff,

I'd wait a day before you rewax.

Just about any Carnauba wax can be layered over another wax or sealant. If it's been a few days give the exterior a quick wash so that any dust or contamination are gone and dry with a leaf blower.

Let's say you have a few tubs of Wolfgang Fuzion laying around. Grab one and start laying down a thin coat with your dual action polisher and a clean red pad.

If you really wanted to remove the existing sealant or wax, wipe the panel with mineral spirits or IPA then dry with a soft Microfiber towel.

kronos
07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Below.

I know washing once per week...anything else? It doesn't have to be once per week, especially if it's not a daily driver. The dirtier it is though, the more careful you'll need to be with your technique to avoid inflicting swirls back into your paint. Something I just started doing, that others here have been doing for a while, is putting an ounce of ONR into my wash bucket. This is supposed to aid the soap in encapsulating particles when passing the wash mitt over paint. I noticed less suds, but an increase in lubrication. My mitt just wants to fly out of my hands!

I put a coat of #845 on it this AM - she sure does sparkle!:xyxthumbs: What a sweet feeling huh!

What if I want to try a different wax? - do I take everything off by polishing again? You can, but you don't have to. There's a couple different methods you can use to remove LSP's. Some car soaps can strip wax when used in a higher than normal concentration. Some paint cleaners do only just that, clean paint. They use chemical cleaners, not abrasives, to remove LSP's and other defects. Some APC's, like OPC mixed at 3:1, are paint-safe and able to remove LSP's.

Jeff

alko
07-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey Jeff,

If you really wanted to remove the existing sealant or wax, wipe the panel with mineral spirits or IPA then dry with a soft Microfiber towel.

In a previous post, someone mentioned Girot's Garage Paint prep...is it safe to say we could use this instead of an IPA wipedown?

SRTSean
07-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah, you can use the Paint Prep. I bought a bottle of it and it works, but I wouldn't recommend it because you have to use half a bottle to strip one car and it's not cheap.

alko
07-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah, you can use the Paint Prep. I bought a bottle of it and it works, but I wouldn't recommend it because you have to use half a bottle to strip one car and it's not cheap.

Dang! I'll have to check back on the previous post to see what could be used to strip the old wax.

Y2KSVT
07-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Why not just wash the car with Dawn the next time you wash if you want to use a different wax? You're going to wash the car anyway, so instead of washing and then using a paint cleaner, just kill two birds with one stone and wash with Dawn. At a couple dollars per bottle, it's cheap, and you probably already have some on hand.

As Mike Phillips says:

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Also, Mike has a thread about how repeated IPA wipedowns will start to dull your paint.

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion...

Mark

BobbyG
07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
In a previous post, someone mentioned Girot's Garage Paint prep...is it safe to say we could use this instead of an IPA wipedown?

I've never tried this before but I've read where several here use it and like the way it works... so I would say yes...

alko
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Why not just wash the car with Dawn the next time you wash if you want to use a different wax? You're going to wash the car anyway, so instead of washing and then using a paint cleaner, just kill two birds with one stone and wash with Dawn. At a couple dollars per bottle, it's cheap, and you probably already have some on hand.

As Mike Phillips says:

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Also, Mike has a thread about how repeated IPA wipedowns will start to dull your paint.

Keep in mind, this is only my opinion...

Mark

yeah I've seen people's mixed feelings about IPA wipedowns and I don't think i'd want to try it.

kronos
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
yeah I've seen people's mixed feelings about IPA wipedowns and I don't think i'd want to try it.

I've haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't rule it out. Give it a try, you may like it. One big benefit it has going for it is price.

alko
07-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I've haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't rule it out. Give it a try, you may like it. One big benefit it has going for it is price.

maybe one day...but I'd still be nervous to try it.