PDA

View Full Version : Correct steps to detailing

Ilove2race4fun
07-21-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm new here so please forgive me if this sounds really dumb. But I've tried to figure out the best path to detailing my car. Not sure which method is best, but here goes.

Starting from scratch I would wash the vehicle with car wash and a terry cloth, rinse, dry with a chamois (spell check). Then I would clay the car, use a polish, then wax. Mind you I'm using products from a local store such as autozone or pepboys. But I would use the good stuff such as Meguire's or Mothers. I know that there's better stuff out there however, it's a lot more resourceful to just drive there and get it instantly. Also note everything is done by hand. I have a small orbital buffer, but not sure when it's appropriate to use it.

Of course after the vehicle is clayed I figure that I wouldn't have to do it until another six months, since it sits outside for most of the time. Therefore, I would just wash and wax after the initial clay and polish. I'm not sure how often to polish so I would just do that along with the clay once every six months. Not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

I've seen wax cleaners on the shelf at the stores too, but not sure where that would fit in the detailing.

As for the interior I would normally just use a dash spray and wipe it down. However, I recently decided to use a wet rag to wipe it down and then apply the dash protectant. I've heard that using the protectants that provided the extra shine and were glossy would actually damage the dash boards? I've tried searching the web for the truth and found mixed answers. If a protectant should be used then what kind? Should or can the high shine protectant be used or the protectants that do not provide an extra shine? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I figured that you guys are the experts and can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

TS656577
07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Welcome! Take a look at this first
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg

I typically pre-soak the car with a foam gun to loosen dirt followed by using bug/tar remover (I use 1-Z which I love). I then wash the car once followed by the wheels an tires. If I claybar the car, then I wash it again. After drying I usually tape the car up so I can minimize the amount of compound/polish that gets into the cracks and crevices of the car. Then I would test a spot for a compound/polish and pad combination (you want to remove as little clear coat as possible but still get the job done) Then go through and do the car. I usually wipe the car down with an IPA solution and then apply sealant and then apply a wax on top. As far as interior goes, I usually wipe everything down first to remove dust then use a pretty diluted solution of Meguiar's APC and a rag/brush to clean up and spills or dirt marks. The protectant should be applied to a rag to minimize splatter/overspray. I don't like high shine protectants because they tend to usually be very reflective in the sun and quite annoying. I usually use 303 Aerospace (which is borderline too reflective). I also just picked up some Poor Boy's Natural Dressing and have heard good reviews so I'm excited to try it. As far as damaging the dash, I have heard that about Armor All products but I don't use them so I can't comment on that rumor. Quite honestly, there are cheaper products that you can use with great results (like I love Never-Dull for metal and it's VERY cheap and lasts a long time) but things like wax and sealants are just things I don't like to go to a local Pep-Boys and pick up (not saying it can't be done). Point being is that sometimes you get what you pay for. There was a wax that I have used that seemed to last for a while about 6 years ago when I was 16 and broke. Nu Finish seemed to work pretty well for me. It's just a personal opinion. You should look for something you like and stick with it. If you have any other questions, you can PM me or post here obviously. I know others have opinions but I would be glad to help where I can.

HeavyMetal
07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
The flow chart is a pretty good outline and flow to what you need to do. Since you mention not having to spend too much and doing it by hand I'll make some recommends per step All of this stuff can be found at Wally World or an auto store.

1. Wash - Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash, use a microfiber or sheepskin mitt.

2. Rinse and dry with nicrofiber drying towel (why microfiber? It scratches less)

3. Clay - Meguiar's Clay Kit (you can skip drying the car if you're gonna clay, the water will help lubricate). Clay once a year or so.

4. Polish or Prewax cleaner. Polish once a year or when the car looks swirled and hairlined. Use Meg's Ultimate Compound followed by Ultimate Polish. It will do an OK job by hand, but it's a lot of work. Buff off with microfiber towels. In between polishings you can use Meg's #34 Final Inspection cleaner to remove old wax in prep for new wax.

5. Wax or sealant, or both. Synthetic sealants protect a bit longer and are even better when "topped" with wax. Meg's #21 Sealant topped with Gold Class Wax would be a good combo. Buff off with microfiber towels.

6. Interior and tires - just pick any of the Meg's products, they all do a fairly good job.

BigBlueFan
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I have been here a little over a month now, and my biggest suggestion is to explore the site. There is so much information it is truly amazing. The info is easy to find, and simple to follow. I know you mentioned the joy of shopping in store, but like most auto zone type places there is a limited amount to choose from, and rarely someone to explain it. I have placed over 5 orders and they all come right on time, in tact and with explanations. The customer service here is second to none and they will answer any questions or share advice, quickly and professionally. Good luck.

CaneCharger
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
:iagree:

BobbyG
07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Allot of great information is already here and the only thing I would add is try not to become overwhelmed with all the products thinking that you must have all of them. I say "must" because some really enjoy having every product made at their disposal but it's really not necessary.

HeavyMetal (Craig) has given you some fine examples of products from each phase of detailing. Another cool thing about his post is the products he's recommending are really good and available locally.

Use Microfiber towels on the finish as it does make a huge difference for a swirl finish. Save the terrycloth towels for cleaning door jams, under the hood, inside trunk gutters.

Mother's products are also some of the nicest and are available just about everywhere from local department stores to automotive parts stores.

Always go back to your basics.

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

gumball
07-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Love the flow chart. Had an argument with a cousin about which was 1st , wax or polish.I said polish.

BobbyG
07-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Love the flow chart. Had an argument with a cousin about which was 1st , wax or polish. I said polish.

Then you are the winner!! :props: