PDA

View Full Version : Any jet ski users out there

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
07-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey everyone I'm looking into buying my first jet ski :awesome:

Looking for some input from any of the forum users on here. Looking at a Yamaha or a Sea Doo. They seem to be the best from the research I have done online and joining another online forum for PWC's

Thanks!

76fj40
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Yamaha Superjet standup

More fun than any couch (sitdown) out there.

bobble
07-20-2011, 11:42 AM
What do you intend to use the ski for and where are you mainly riding?

Been on around and using jet skis since the very late 70's, used to Marshall for the IJSBA races for years and did a few many years ago. My personal preference is Kawasaki but I do have many freinds there so that skews it a bit. Really depending on what yoiu intend and where you intend to ride will really guide you towards the purchase. I can tell you my current personal PWC is an 02 Kawi with 450 hours on it and nothing but plugs and oil services(one valve adjustment too PITA). My take is the best boat is one that is running without issues.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-20-2011, 11:47 AM
+1 on the kawasaki's. I used to ride them as a teenager growing up and never had any problems with either one of the Kawa's. (Both the same model). Just routing mx.

Pats300zx
07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
I have both a Yamaha and a Seadoo. Both are great skis. Are you looking for a two or three seater?

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Two or three seater couch is what I'm looking for don't want to do a standup ......... I'm going to be using it on a lake and looking for somewhat speed and acceleration 4-stroke preferably

ZimRandy
07-20-2011, 02:24 PM
I had the chance to play on a Seadoo GTX Limited last weekend. TONS of power with the supercharged engine.

It looked like this one.
http://www.midwestmotorsportsonline.com/images/NewVehicles/2003SeaDooGTX4-TecLIM.jpg

Very stable cruiser and it pulled the kids on the tube with ease.

Randy

yakky
07-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Yamaha Superjet standup

More fun than any couch (sitdown) out there.

I've had four of my own and ridden plenty more. The one I miss most is my 1990 SJ. Most fun ever.

bobble
07-20-2011, 06:27 PM
All the manufacturers pretty much have the same boats nowadays in the sit down category. To be honest 3 people on a ski is not comfortable for the third person at all. Not sure of the laws in NY but in Cali you can't drop a 2 stroke in most inland waters unles it's grandfathered in as in bought used, yes I've seen the sheriffs have people pull smokers out of the water I'm at the Colorado river at least 3 weekends a month. All the new FI boats pull the same, have you ridden much, and they can be a handful if not experienced and you go full bore. My personal fav in that category is an older, 08/09, Kawi Ultra 250. It's a 250 HP Supercharged boat, pulls a skier or a tube no problem, solid big broad hull takes wakes and rough water fine. Some of the early models had issues with the blower belts slipping from getting wet. All the FI boats use fuel like mad, An example, we rode from Dana Point in OC Cali to Catalina Island, open ocean 26 miles roughly the last 10 minutes all 6 of us had the gas lights and alarms sounding. If you buy used try and find one from someone you know or can verify and the lowest hours possible. If it's a Kawi PM me and I'll get the name of a reputable dealer for you to have a PPI done before purchase. Oh and where in NY are you if you PM. Personally not a Seadoo fan seen too many broken but that's just my opinion and prejudice. Friends have some Yammie sit downs they seem ok. The Hondas stay away from as the dealer network sucks if you have problems and the non FI ones are dirt slow, even my 02 1200 out runs them in straight line. Now carving clean water I beat most boats but I've got a few hull and plate mods so mine sticks.

Lasthope05
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
What do you intend to use the ski for and where are you mainly riding?

Been on around and using jet skis since the very late 70's, used to Marshall for the IJSBA races for years and did a few many years ago. My personal preference is Kawasaki but I do have many freinds there so that skews it a bit. Really depending on what yoiu intend and where you intend to ride will really guide you towards the purchase. I can tell you my current personal PWC is an 02 Kawi with 450 hours on it and nothing but plugs and oil services(one valve adjustment too PITA). My take is the best boat is one that is running without issues.

:iagree: I love the old kawasaki X2's and SX's.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
All the manufacturers pretty much have the same boats nowadays in the sit down category. To be honest 3 people on a ski is not comfortable for the third person at all. Not sure of the laws in NY but in Cali you can't drop a 2 stroke in most inland waters unles it's grandfathered in as in bought used, yes I've seen the sheriffs have people pull smokers out of the water I'm at the Colorado river at least 3 weekends a month. All the new FI boats pull the same, have you ridden much, and they can be a handful if not experienced and you go full bore. My personal fav in that category is an older, 08/09, Kawi Ultra 250. It's a 250 HP Supercharged boat, pulls a skier or a tube no problem, solid big broad hull takes wakes and rough water fine. Some of the early models had issues with the blower belts slipping from getting wet. All the FI boats use fuel like mad, An example, we rode from Dana Point in OC Cali to Catalina Island, open ocean 26 miles roughly the last 10 minutes all 6 of us had the gas lights and alarms sounding. If you buy used try and find one from someone you know or can verify and the lowest hours possible. If it's a Kawi PM me and I'll get the name of a reputable dealer for you to have a PPI done before purchase. Oh and where in NY are you if you PM. Personally not a Seadoo fan seen too many broken but that's just my opinion and prejudice. Friends have some Yammie sit downs they seem ok. The Hondas stay away from as the dealer network sucks if you have problems and the non FI ones are dirt slow, even my 02 1200 out runs them in straight line. Now carving clean water I beat most boats but I've got a few hull and plate mods so mine sticks.

Never really thought about the Kawi's ..... I have experience with them as well as most other power-sports haha

What is the "FI" model?

bobble
07-22-2011, 02:55 PM
FI = Forced Induction aka Supercharged. The older version is the Ultra 250 with the 250 being ther HP, new one is Ultra 300 and HP is of course 300. They pull hard enough to rip the skip ropes right out of peoples hands if they are not ready. Gas mileage sucks a bit but what would you expect. The hulls on the Ultras are the bigger wider ones so they take the chop and open ocean so much better.

Mine current skis are 1200 SX's the smaller hulls and are plenty fast. I get smoked all the time out of the hole by bigger boats but on smooth water I can kill them. I do confess though I have a custom rideplate, different grate and impeller and sponsoons off a race boat so mine hooks right up into and out of turns. Really depends on what you like. We only ride one to a ski even though they are 2/3 seaters, I ride predominately standing in the tray or more like you ride motocross(my original background was dirt bike racing in the 70's and early 80's) and it gets decent gas mileage. I also ride with a soft sided cooler which attaches on the swim deck so you know my priorities as I've gotten older. Both of my kids grew up on skis and Colorado river trips so they are safe and easy to rider. Stand ups are a giggle and the only way to race as they carve way faster but you can't carry much and they don't have much fuel range so the one we have never even sees the water much except just goofing around near the dock.

Either way they are a kick, a cheap way to get into boating and very much a family/friends event. We have a group of @20 people, several families, that go all the time for many years.

Kawi invited the PWC market in the 70's, Jet Ski is a copywritten name. We got kicked out of several lakes in the very early 70's with prototypes as the rangers did not know what to make of them because early on they did not need CF number's and they wondered what the hell we were throwing in the water. The benefits of being tied to a manufacturer and racing we got to try all kinds of goofy stuff for free. The good old days (sound like my parents there).

Meghan
07-22-2011, 04:45 PM
I have a Yamaha Waverunner and love it. Have had it for years and very happy with it.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
FI = Forced Induction aka Supercharged. The older version is the Ultra 250 with the 250 being ther HP, new one is Ultra 300 and HP is of course 300. They pull hard enough to rip the skip ropes right out of peoples hands if they are not ready. Gas mileage sucks a bit but what would you expect. The hulls on the Ultras are the bigger wider ones so they take the chop and open ocean so much better.

Mine current skis are 1200 SX's the smaller hulls and are plenty fast. I get smoked all the time out of the hole by bigger boats but on smooth water I can kill them. I do confess though I have a custom rideplate, different grate and impeller and sponsoons off a race boat so mine hooks right up into and out of turns. Really depends on what you like. We only ride one to a ski even though they are 2/3 seaters, I ride predominately standing in the tray or more like you ride motocross(my original background was dirt bike racing in the 70's and early 80's) and it gets decent gas mileage. I also ride with a soft sided cooler which attaches on the swim deck so you know my priorities as I've gotten older. Both of my kids grew up on skis and Colorado river trips so they are safe and easy to rider. Stand ups are a giggle and the only way to race as they carve way faster but you can't carry much and they don't have much fuel range so the one we have never even sees the water much except just goofing around near the dock.

Either way they are a kick, a cheap way to get into boating and very much a family/friends event. We have a group of @20 people, several families, that go all the time for many years.

Kawi invited the PWC market in the 70's, Jet Ski is a copywritten name. We got kicked out of several lakes in the very early 70's with prototypes as the rangers did not know what to make of them because early on they did not need CF number's and they wondered what the hell we were throwing in the water. The benefits of being tied to a manufacturer and racing we got to try all kinds of goofy stuff for free. The good old days (sound like my parents there).

Ty :dblthumb2: funny at the end part about the rangers haha

I have a Yamaha Waverunner and love it. Have had it for years and very happy with it.

I'm thinking I want to get a Yamaha fzs 09 model