PDA

View Full Version : White Toyota 4runner

trerc
07-20-2011, 06:14 AM
I plan on doing a correction job on my wifes vehicle and while most of the paint is in excellent condition the hood has some dreaded haze going on. I know I could work this out with a rotary but I plan on purchasing a flex da and was curious what to use as I'm new to da correction. I was debating on using meg 105 or their ultimate compound with an orange pad on the hood roof and rear hatch as the rest of the truck can likely get by with polishing compound and a white pad as the rest if the paint needs minimal work.

BobbyG
07-20-2011, 06:36 AM
For starters I'd try some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a white foam pad.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound isn't as aggressive as Meguiar's M105 and a white pad is a light cut so this should prove to be a nice combination to begin with. If this proves to be very slow switch to the orange pad as it's a bit more aggressive.

trerc
07-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks, as mentioned im not new to detailing as I have a couple years of rotarty use under my belt tho that's been several years ago... my only intentions now are personal vehicles and maybe the occasional friends vehicle. Im fairly certain from what im reading the flex will be plenty capable machine and will easily meet my current needs.

BobbyG
07-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks, as mentioned im not new to detailing as I have a couple years of rotarty use under my belt tho that's been several years ago... my only intentions now are personal vehicles and maybe the occasional friends vehicle. Im fairly certain from what im reading the flex will be plenty capable machine and will easily meet my current needs.

The Flex 3401 is a really great machine. I bought mine about a year ago and replaced my Porter Cable 7424 for paint corrections. I use my Porter Cable 7424 for applying all my sealants and waxes but I do have a smaller backing plate for using 4" pads if I need to.

While many seem somewhat afraid of a rotary my feeling is that they're putting too much faith or stock into what they read instead of really trying a rotary polisher. I began using a rotary polisher in 1968....yes, I said 1968 and to the best of my knowledge no dual action polisher existed back then.

A rotary polisher was a little more difficult to learn to use properly but really no big deal at all. Did I clip an occasional corner or edge when first starting out...Yup, but when you had to fix your mistakes you learned fast.

I enjoy using my rotary polishers and they're way faster than a dual action polisher could ever think of being. I have the Makita 9227 and the Flex PE14-2-150 and both are a dream to use! :props:

trerc
07-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Yea that's my only reservation with the da is time. Im know a rotary is fast, I've been really back and forth w the flex da and makita 9227, like I said I have experience with a rotary and am quite comfortable with one. I will probably end up with both eventually, lol.

MCA
07-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Warning: Be sure to look up the paint code and stage type for your 4runner. Historically, white 4runners are single-stage (no clear coat) and very hard. Hence, you may need additional pads due to paint transfer, a higher cutting/compounding polish and a lot more time set aside for the correction step(s).

trerc
07-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Warning: Be sure to look up the paint code and stage type for your 4runner. Historically, white 4runners are single-stage (no clear coat) and very hard. Hence, you may need additional pads due to paint transfer, a higher cutting/compounding polish and a lot more time set aside for the correction step(s).

Yea, thanks. Along with red and black. They typically only clear metalics, or so they say.

greatblade
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
trerc,

Curious to how things worked out for you. I too have a white 4runner.

trerc
08-03-2011, 04:17 PM
trerc,

Curious to how things worked out for you. I too have a white 4runner.

I used a my Makita 9227 with 5.5" flat pads, I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound with a Lake county orange pad, and backed that up with Meguiars 205 on a white pad then topped it off with a coat of Colinite 845, It turned out really nice for a 12 year old truck with all original paint. :xyxthumbs:

Next weekend I'm gonna use my Flex and tackle my wifes 05 white 4runner...

greatblade
08-03-2011, 10:03 PM
So would the Meguire's Ultimate Compound work with a PC on a 93 4runner?

trerc
08-04-2011, 02:08 PM
So would the Meguire's Ultimate Compound work with a PC on a 93 4runner?

Yes, ultimate compound is very user friendly, also check out m80 and m83.