PDA

View Full Version : Road paint in the wheel wells...

DaGonz
07-19-2011, 08:30 PM
One of the firefighters I work with asked me to look at his wife's Chrysler 300C.

Sometime in the last week she ran over some white road paint. It is mostly in the wheel wells, with a few spots of it on the body . It is also as hard as the proverbial rock. The car is a dark blue metallic.

I am looking for suggestions as to removing the road paint.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Burke
07-19-2011, 09:46 PM
I have never had to deal with road paint but sounds like nasty stuff.

Looks like its resistant to petro-based solvents and etches into what ever it gets on

Google it.......I found some info doing that.....

richy
07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Hope this helps you out. This was a very bad case that I was up against. The only thing that could have helped more would have been a plastic razor blade. Check it out, I hope this gives you some ideas:

Road Paint overspray on 2010 GMC - Live2Detail (http://www.live2detail.com/showthread.php?t=991)

FUNX650
07-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Anymore, the state, or county, DOT uses waterbased paints (EPA, ya know). That still doesn't make its removal easy. Just takes different products/procedures than the ones for solvent based paint removal. If in doubt what type of paint was used, a call to your DOT should provide that info. Perhaps they'll have a suggestion or a solution mix that may be of assistance.

I'm going with the water-based paint as the referrence for the following ideas/suggestions:

Since you say it's been on there for awhile: One way of removal....You can coat the paint with vaseline, or petroleum jelly. The petroleum jelly can stay on the paint until it starts to soften...it may take a few hours, a day or two, sometimes longer. Don't rush it if you can help it. Let the petroleum jelly do the work for you!

When you notice the paint has softened, pressure wash the wheel wells, and then, wash them with a good car wash shampoo. This should remove most of the paint. If not, repeat the procedure. To avoid damaging the wheel wells' finish, I suggest to not use any solvents or powdered cleaners (like Comet)....any rough scraping should also be avoided.

Applying rubbing alcohol with a damp sponge to the area in the wheel well may also help soften and remove any residue left after the vaseline (petroleum jelly) operation(s) are completed. Re-wash the once affected, now hopefully clean from road paint, wheel wells. When dry, apply a water-based dressing/protectant to the wheel wells.

As always, try a test spot before plunging in whole hog. :)

Just some ideas/suggestions that I hope will help.

Bob

buddhadog
07-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Ive had pretty good luck using a credit card ( or similar plastic card)and lots of car soap in a spray bottle for lubrication.