PDA

View Full Version : Prep question

Jmlorfam
07-19-2011, 08:51 AM
So i purchased a new 2012 Honda Civic Coupe for my son yesterday. The dealer had prepped the vehicle with some paint protection product (Auto Butler?). This product was applied, by the dealer, prior to my purchase, and I told the salesman I wasn't paying $300 for this product. I asked 3 times what the product was ( wax, sealant, other???) and could not get a straight answer. To the touch I cant feel anything different on the car. My first question is what did they put on the paint? Second, Should I remove it and start over? And/or third, Can I simply apply sealant/wax to the car since the paint is new and defect free?

BobbyG
07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
If they can't tell you / prove to you what they applied then they're probably just bending you over a hitching post trying to get you to cough up $300.00 for absolutely nothing. However, Auto Butler is a bonafied product and could have been applied. What bothers me is that they can't tell you for certain if it was applied but are happy to charge you $300.00 for it.

Touching the paint wouldn't necessarily yield any definitive conformation.

Since the car is new and if the finish is clear then I'd suggest washing it and inspecting the finish. If you find the level of paint defects; swirls etc, exceed your tolerance then begin a regiment of paint correction which will remove this coating... If it looks good enjoy your new car and address this down the road a piece...:props:

VIP Reflections
07-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Never heard of the product... i hope you didnt pay $300 for it! dealers never seem to surprise me with their sneaky tactics. Hard to say what it is, but if your not happy with it, Remove it. you dont have to remove it, but it would be nice to know what it is. because if its a sealant, you can just wax right over it. i dont trust anything from a dealer. so i would wash it with dawn to remove the product, then apply a sealant and wax of my choice.

ScubaCougr
07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Probably some sealant much like you'd get here, that will last 3-6 months before particular people will want to apply something else.

If your paint is swirl free you could just clay (if needed) and top with your favorite wax/sealant for added protection. No need to remove what was applied at the dealer.

shoeless89
07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I wish I had you as my dad! Well anyway, my girl friends mom bought a similar product when she get here Dodge Avenger. And the dealership told her she didn't have to wax it for at least 3 years!!! (Theres no way I believe that) so if the dealer can't tell me exactly what it is and how it was applied I wouldn't pay $300

Jmlorfam
07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
No, I didn't pay for the product. I saw that one coming, especially with the efforts to evade the questions. I will try to wash it with Dawn and re-apply my choice of products. The best part of the story was in the finance office when im signing the papers, and they tried to sell me "simonize" for $400. I started laughing and declined again. the best i could tell is they were trying to sell me "insurance" on the paint. Its amazing what these guys will try. Thanks for the advice.

Jmlorfam
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I wish I had you as my dad! Well anyway, my girl friends mom bought a similar product when she get here Dodge Avenger. And the dealership told her she didn't have to wax it for at least 3 years!!! (Theres no way I believe that) so if the dealer can't tell me exactly what it is and how it was applied I wouldn't pay $300

It was hard picking a car out. I didn't want him going to school in a pink VW bug and getting thumped by his classmates. LOL. Yup they were throwing numbers like 7 years worth of protection from everything. This site has been a revelation on whats possible with car care and I'm a big fan of Autogeek. Thanks :xyxthumbs: