PDA

View Full Version : New car detailing

starjammir
07-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Hey guys!
I am getting an 2012 Honda Civic Si in Crystal Black Pearl delivered the first week in August and wanted to get some products to keep it looks factory fresh. Any suggestions for products? I have an PC with orange,white, and black pads and currently on my black car use Poorboys black hole on it and that seems to work alright on my car.
Thanks in advance!
Bill H.

DLB
07-19-2011, 08:00 AM
First Off - Welcome to the board!

Secondly - DO NOT let the dealer "detail" it for you. Give them specific instructions not to touch it. No wash, no vacuum, nothing.

Then, once you get it home, visually inspect it and it should be in pretty good shape. Most cars don't come with swirls, the dealer usually installs them (called the DISO = Dealer Installed Swirl Option).

Once you have it home, protect everything. On my wife's new car this consisted on putting sealant on the wheels inside and out, applying the proper protectant on the seats, and then of course sealing the paint.

If you are interested in a permanent solution, check out the Opti-Coat.

Best of luck with it.

DLB

BobbyG
07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

I second the notion of NOT having the dealer touch the exterior with the exception of removing any plastic panel coverings.

Once you get it home use a quality wash then inspect the finish. A complete claying is probably in order before you apply any protective coatings. You may find that a 1-Step product may be needed to clean up any minor defects before applying the protective layer.

If you like a nice shine with minimal effort afterwards then go with Optimums Opti-Coat 2.0

HeavyMetal
07-19-2011, 09:19 AM
DO NOT let the dealer "detail" it for you. Give them specific instructions not to touch it. No wash, no vacuum, nothing.

Then, once you get it home, visually inspect it ...

I would recommend you visually inspect it BEFORE you take it off the lot. I also recommend you visit the dealer before the car is delivered and explain you do not want it washed, buffed, vacuumed, wiped or prep'ed in any manner - just remove the plastic. Tell him you will be inspecting the car and if the paint is swirled, scratched or hairlined you will expect your money back, a new car or they can reimburse you $300 up front for having the car professionally detailed. I did that when we bought my wife's new Lexus. They didn't touch it. In fact, they brought the car around and had me watch while they removed the shipping plastic. The sales guy says "Are you sure you don't want us to at least vacuum it out for you?" I said no thanks, I'll take it from here.

Hoytman
07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Take a look at this before allowing a dealer to touch the car, wash/detail the car. Don't even let them place dealer sticker's on the car.

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28401-diso-dealership-installed-swirl-option.html)

starjammir
07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses thus far. As far as opti-coat goes, is this going to work like a wax or how does it work? Should I just put a carnuba on top of a polish or something?
Should I have polish it and wax it or use my PC?
Any help would be great as this is my first new car and want to keep it like new :)
Also, what should I use to protect the interior as it is cloth?

JSMet
07-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Just my 2 cents: If your paint condition is satisfactory after you inspect it, Opti-coat is the way I would go after washing and claying. I would look into purchasing some of the quality seat covers offered by AG, they are worth the expense for the long term. Congratulations on your soon-to-be new ride, I know the feeling. Enjoy it!

starjammir
07-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Will one tube of that stuff cover the entire car? The opti-coat I mean.

maximus20895
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
If used properly it should be more than enough.

starjammir
07-19-2011, 01:38 PM
I guess I am just a little worried about wrecking a $24,000 car's paint job. Any first hand experience with it at all?

2kredbb6
07-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I guess I am just a little worried about wrecking a $24,000 car's paint job. Any first hand experience with it at all?

As with any product, always do a test area.