PDA

View Full Version : I no longer use tire dressing on my car...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
My tires have narrow ribbing on the whole face, and the way light reflects off them, even the mattest of matte tire dressing still looks shiny. When I buy my next set tires, I'm going to look for some with no ribbing. :dblthumb2:

Scarelane
07-18-2011, 06:35 PM
What kind of tires do you have??

BobbyG
07-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey mark,

Sounds like a cost savings until then!

I have Goodyear's Eagle F1 Supercar tires on my Z06 and they are indeed a pain to dress.

Flash Gordon
07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't like my tires dressed, just the fenderwells. Congratulations on coming around to my way of thinking :)

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I have Goodyear's Eagle F1 Supercar tires on my Z06 and they are indeed a pain to dress.
You got it Bobby, I have the same tires. Mine are runflats, the C5 z06's are not. I still think they all have the same ribbing, correct?

I don't like my tires dressed, just the fenderwells. Congratulations on coming around to my way of thinking
LOL! :p

feds27
07-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I saw the subject of the thread and thought of motorcycle tires. Tire dressing is discouraged on motorcyle tires because manufacturers design their tires with a special wax or chemical on the sidewalls. Using a tire dressing would affect the effectiveness of this wax and the longevity of the tire. I assume this isn't the case with car tires since dressing tires is so common.

C. Charles Hahn
07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
You got it Bobby, I have the same tires. Mine are runflats, the C5 z06's are not. I still think they all have the same ribbing, correct?

LOL! :p

I think that's characteristic of most GoodYear performance and semi-performance tires -- the Eagle RS-As on my TBSS were the same way:

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/TBSS_LAST.JPG

Twister
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
The Goodyears on my truck are the same way. I've gotten to the point where I just clean them really and leave them

Mike Phillips
07-18-2011, 07:55 PM
My tires have narrow ribbing on the whole face, and the way light reflects off them, even the mattest of matte tire dressing still looks shiny. When I buy my next set tires, I'm going to look for some with no ribbing. :dblthumb2:

A flat sidewall is sure a lot easier to clean and maintain. The fine line ribs are a pain...

:)

Jaretr1
07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I work for good year. That's called a serated sidewalk, and that's pretty much standard on most tires regardless of brand. Please, please please do not choose a tire on a car like a Vette based on sidewalk appearance, performance is the only thing that should be considered on a car like that (although that's kinda my opinion).

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2011, 08:53 PM
I work for good year. That's called a serated sidewalk, and that's pretty much standard on most tires regardless of brand. Please, please please do not choose a tire on a car like a Vette based on sidewalk appearance, performance is the only thing that should be considered on a car like that (although that's kinda my opinion).
I'm very much aware of not just buying a tire on looks, thanks for looking out, though. ;) The F1's on the car right now grip well, but they're noisy as heck, tramline, and ride very rough. I know I'm not driving a Lexus, but there's some better options out there like the Michelin PS2's.

C. Charles Hahn
07-18-2011, 08:59 PM

There are plenty of good performance tires that don't have the serrated sidewalk....

And as Mark pointed out, the runflats do ride horribly as a result of their hard sidewall.

Perfections
07-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Michelin ftw!

NewXJ
07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm very much aware of not just buying a tire on looks, thanks for looking out, though. ;) The F1's on the car right now grip well, but they're noisy as heck, tramline, and ride very rough. I know I'm not driving a Lexus, but there's some better options out there like the Michelin PS2's.

ive got perelli pzero nero on my jag and they grip well with little road noise...give them a look too

jpegs13
07-18-2011, 09:09 PM
ive got perelli pzero nero on my jag and they grip well with little road noise...give them a look too

:iagree: The whole Pirelli line is outstanding and no fancy sidewalls.