PDA

View Full Version : How to remove 'swirls' in cockpit area?

newb001
07-17-2011, 11:43 AM
What, if anything, can I use by hand to remove the small swirls that are present in the plastic cockpit area covering the speedometer?

Thanks!

IID
07-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I have yet to find a product that will remove these Gage cluster plastic cover defects :(
I've tried the Meg's PlastX and MirrorGlaze #10/#17 combo,with NO success.

If you find that product that does work,PLEASE let me know!

Nick McKees37
07-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Try a plastic polish, such as Meguiar's Plastic X.

embolism
07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
the problem is the confined quarters that make it difficult to do anything by hand and the fear of getting product into places that it won't come out of.

This topic has come up a few times (try searching wood grain) and unless the trim if accessible by machine or you can take it out, then use a machine on it, nothing you do by hand will really make a difference.

Mike Phillips
07-17-2011, 12:43 PM
the problem is the confined quarters that make it difficult to do anything by hand and the fear of getting product into places that it won't come out of.

This topic has come up a few times (try searching wood grain) and unless the trim if accessible by machine or you can take it out, then use a machine on it, nothing you do by hand will really make a difference.

Good memory... :xyxthumbs:

Check out this thread, in it I think I point out the issues surrounding working defects out of small or confined areas... it has to do with your ability to move your hand...

How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/29615-how-remove-hair-line-scratches-wood-trim.html)

I know most people are scanners so read closely, lots of in-depth info...

:)

Mike Phillips
07-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I have yet to find a product that will remove these Gage cluster plastic cover defects :(
I've tried the Meg's PlastX and MirrorGlaze #10/#17 combo,with NO success.

If you find that product that does work,PLEASE let me know!

If the plastic is Lexan...

Ugh... Lexan is incredibly hard and very difficult to polish if not impossible. The only thing I've ever found to work is M105

Plexiglas... it's soft and easy to polish but it's rarely used anymore... my boat windshield is Plexiglas because it's from the late 1960's, it's so easy to buff a scratch out of. Lexan and other modern clear plastics like modern clear coat paints tend and trend to be very hard.

:)

bmp auto detail
07-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I have removed scratches with Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer.

2kredbb6
07-17-2011, 04:04 PM
i have removed scratches with flitz metal polish, fiberglass & paint restorer.

really?