PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Polish? Meguiars #7 or Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion

Pages : [1] 2

apex8199
07-17-2011, 11:16 AM
So which one would you use and why?

Dr Oldz
07-17-2011, 11:25 AM
What are you trying to accomplish? Whats you method of application? What products are you using first?

apex8199
07-17-2011, 11:42 AM
I want to get the most depth possible out of factory black paint on 92 Mustang. It's been neglected so the plan is to:

1 - dish soap wash
2 - clay bar
3 - Ultimate Compound or 105/205 (depending on the results of UC) with DA and Megs yellow pad
4 - Megs 7 or Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion with DA and Megs black pad
5 - Megs Tech Wax with DA and Megs black pad
6 - 2 coats P21S Carnuba Wax by hand and removing with DA wool pad with a bonnet over it

Is there even a noticeable difference between M7 and PCL?

ScottB
07-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Finishing Polish = Menzerna 085rd

#7 is a glaze not a polish, and Paintwork lotion is a chemical paint cleaner and prepping agent

Nick McKees37
07-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Meguiar's #7 is a glaze, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is a paint cleaner. Two completely different products that serve two different purposes.

You may find this helpful

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg

Jimmie
07-17-2011, 11:56 AM
:welcome: Apex8199. See that you have been a member for awhile.
This is sort of a complicated question you posed since most of us wouldn't usually think of those two under a *finishing polish catagory. We are usually thinking buffer/abrasives.
I haven't done my homework but I beleive Megs #7 is a glaze. It will fill imperfections rather than polish them out. My interpretation of a glaze is it amps up the wet look. Usually doesn't have much durability.
Pinnacle Paint Work Cleansing Lotion is a chemical paint cleanser than can be used by hand and will take out some fine imperfections like those little scratches under the door handle. It's good for cleaning your paint if you don't have imperfections. It's a very good product. This would be my choice to come closest to filling your question.

apex8199
07-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Wow, I was way off. As for a finishing polish I was looking for something that basically put oils into the paint before I topped it off with a wax.

Dr Oldz
07-17-2011, 12:28 PM
205 is very rich in polishing oils. After 205 if you are looking to further refine your paint, perhaps try Menz 85rd or 3m ultrafina.

embolism
07-17-2011, 12:33 PM
number 7 is not really going to help much on clearcoat paint systems and since you are polishing, no need to waste the paint cleaner either imo

I would use the griots pre wax cleaner for a wipedown of the polishing oils, then go to your lsp

If you really want a glaze then try black hole. I would only put a glaze on in the summer and top with a nuba. I'm going to try prima amigo next...

Mike Phillips
07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Finishing Polish = Menzerna 085rd

#7 is a glaze not a polish, and Paintwork lotion is a chemical paint cleaner and prepping agent

I would agree with Scott on this...

#7 is non-abrasive and the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is more of a chemical cleaner and surface prepping lotion.

For a finishing polish go with the Menzerna PO85RD

I'm compounding the GTO from our Advanced Class last Sunday, the team did a great job for their learning experience but since my name is associated with the buff-out I'm going over the entire car to make sure all the sanding marks are removed.

When I finish the compounding I'm going to machine polish it with the Pinnacle Swirl Remover by rotary and follow that with the Pinnacle Finishing Polish using the PC and then seal it so I can return the car tomorrow.

I'm posting pics to my Facebook page which is in my Sig Line if anyone wants to watch the progress...

:xyxthumbs:

apex8199
07-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks, for the great advice. I used to work at an auto auction where I'd rotary wheel 50 cars a day with a heavy cut polish just to shine them up a bit before they were auctioned. Lately, I've been trying to learn the correct process for doing this instead of just shaving off a layer of clearcoat and working some oils into the paint.

1. Does 105/205/85RD sound good for the polishing process?
2. Someone mentioned using a pre-wax cleaner. Would it hurt to use a pre-wax cleaner in between using 105/205/85RD to make sure there's no residue of the old polish before moving on to the next type of polish?
3. Is 85RD similar to Megs Deep Crystal Polish?
4. Is it safe to use 105 or 205 on a late model clear coat car that's a daily driver and has a lot of little scratches on it?

2kredbb6
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks, for the great advice. I used to work at an auto auction where I'd rotary wheel 50 cars a day with a heavy cut polish just to shine them up a bit before they were auctioned. Lately, I've been trying to learn the correct process for doing this instead of just shaving off a layer of clearcoat and working some oils into the paint.

1. Does 105/205/85RD sound good for the polishing process?
2. Someone mentioned using a pre-wax cleaner. Would it hurt to use a pre-wax cleaner in between using 105/205/85RD to make sure there's no residue of the old polish before moving on to the next type of polish?
3. Is 85RD similar to Megs Deep Crystal Polish?
4. Is it safe to use 105 or 205 on a late model clear coat car that's a daily driver and has a lot of little scratches on it?

So it would be like this
3.85rd
4.Ipa 1:1 Wipedown
5.SEALER or WAX or both.

apex8199
07-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Ipa?

2kredbb6
07-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Ipa?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/22821-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa.html

apex8199
07-17-2011, 02:25 PM
So it would be like polishing and completely removing the oil I just polished with before using a finishing polish?