PDA

View Full Version : Will OPC diluted clean the stickiness off my center armrest?

spike
07-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone, I just read the loooong thread about APC and leather, and it is sooo full of good info! But now I need help applying all this knowledge to my application.

My problem is, my center armrest is sticky from I don't know what. I use Megs APC+ diluted 4:1 to clean it, then I applied Zaino Z-10 to condition. My technique was to use a foam applicator pad to rub the APC+ in with, then used a damp microfiber towel to wipe excess cleaner off, then dried the armrest off before applying the Z-10.

Has anyone had this problem of the leather being sticky, and what's the best way to bring it back to new condition? I'm trying to figure out if I screwed up bad using the APC+ and now it has damaged my leather, or is the Z-10 drying on the surface and making the stickiness...I'm sooo confused! Maybe I need to use OPC from now on so I don't keep screwing up??!!

BTW, I have a 2005 Acura TL with grey leather interior.

Thanks for your help!

spike
07-17-2011, 10:40 AM
****UPDATE****

So I just tried a 1:10 Woolite / water solution to clean it up with. The armrest felt like it wasn't sticky when it was wet, but after I dried it off, it still feels tacky and sticky. This is so weird! BTW, I have not spilled anything on it that would cause it to be tacky.

Todd@RUPES
07-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Was/is the stickiness self-resolving?

Usually if leather feels tacky immediately after cleaning it is because the coating on top of the leather is temporarily softened from the chemicals. Did you notice any color transfer on your towel?

Usually the tacky/sticky feeling will go away in 10-15 minutes, hopefully with out causing any long term damage.

If the leather is sticky for a long time after use it could left over residue from cleaning. Soap is sticky when it dries. Dry wiping the leather with a damp towel after you clean it to remove any trace residues.

For what it is worth I would stick with a more gentle leather cleaner on that part from now on.

Also, neither Woolite nor leather manufacturers recommend using Woolite on leather. I totally understand that many people have used it and never had any problems, but from a devil's advocate stance, woolite requires a lot of water to 'flush' away any soap residues, such as being used in a washing machine. Several leather chemists have also noted a couple of chemicals in the MSDS sheet that they believe could cause long term damage.

spike
07-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Was/is the stickiness self-resolving?

Usually if leather feels tacky immediately after cleaning it is because the coating on top of the leather is temporarily softened from the chemicals. Did you notice any color transfer on your towel?

Usually the tacky/sticky feeling will go away in 10-15 minutes, hopefully with out causing any long term damage.

If the leather is sticky for a long time after use it could left over residue from cleaning. Soap is sticky when it dries. Dry wiping the leather with a damp towel after you clean it to remove any trace residues.

For what it is worth I would stick with a more gentle leather cleaner on that part from now on.

Also, neither Woolite nor leather manufacturers recommend using Woolite on leather. I totally understand that many people have used it and never had any problems, but from a devil's advocate stance, woolite requires a lot of water to 'flush' away any soap residues, such as being used in a washing machine. Several leather chemists have also noted a couple of chemicals in the MSDS sheet that they believe could cause long term damage.

Thanks Todd. No, the tackiness is still there. I also thought that it was left-over soap or something that is making things sticky, but I'm sure I wiped it all off. And I did not notice any color transfer on my microfiber towel. Do you use OPC to clean your leather?

Jenn1270
07-17-2011, 11:27 AM
I've found leather to be incredibly sticky until it is conditioned well. I usually use DP interior cleaner to clean and the leather is a bit tacky afterwards. I then hit it with some coated leather protectant (1Z enzient, DP interior protectant, Optimum, or whatever floats your boat). I let it sit a while and then when I return the stickiness is typically gone.

Jenn

Dr Oldz
07-17-2011, 12:33 PM
I have had a similar experience with sticky interiors. What I found that worked incredibly well was very hot water and soap. Simple so perhaps it's worth a shot!

spike
07-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys...I'll have to try the hot water/soap combo. I'm just afraid that because of the very hot summer we've had, that some kind of chemical or substance has leached out of the armrest and caused the tackiness to occur. I don't know if heat does this or not, but hopefully conditioning it well will help the stickiness to subside.