PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Trade my PC XP for A FLEX 3401

Pages : [1] 2

bigaizsosexy
07-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Hey All,

I know I had a post about a similar question some time ago, but I can't seem to find it no matter where I look. I was thinking about changing my PC XP for the Flex 3401 for a few reasons. Less vibrations and more comfortable gripping. Now the question that concerns me is from some people I have spoke to they say I can get nothing more from the flex 3401 compared to my present PC XP. Meaning there is no difference in cutting time and I can expect the same cutting power as tge PC XP....... I need some better information about this, thanks!!
Andrew

Flash Gordon
07-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Someones giving you bad info...

If you find someone willing to do an even swap, ask if they will trade with me a 25 year old, half empty bottle of Simonize for a gallon of Opti Coat

bigaizsosexy
07-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Flash,

Thank you, I think you misunderstood the trading portion of my thread. I meant I was going to purchase a flex.....but in my mind trading my PC to use the Flex lol.....So you're saying that the cutting power of the 3401 is much better and the cutting time is shorter?

P.S. my father lives in Hendersonville Tennessee... hah

Bunky
07-17-2011, 08:07 AM
The forced rotation feature of the Flex will usually provide better cut and breakdown polishes faster than the XP. You have to worry less about downward pressure with the Flex -- just hold it flat on the paint and guide it and it will do its business nicely. It has a nice feather trigger and I never get post-DA jitters due to vibrations.

Most people who move up to the Flex like it and now they offer a smaller backing plate.

Those that do not like it fall usually say:

1. They do not like the forced rotation since you have to guide the polisher more and will walk if you do not hold the pad flex.

2. They want to use smaller pads. Flex now has a backing plate for 5.5-in pads so that addresses one aspect but if you need 4-in pads to do work it is best to keep XP around.

3, They want to use Megs microfiber pad system. I have never used the MF system but they say results are sub-optimal. I have the kit but have not used it yet.

Here is a link to a post by Mike P. on selecting a polisher.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html

bigaizsosexy
07-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Al,

Thanks for your information and the link. I have been using the PC XP for 3 years now and believe it's time to upgrade.

Thanks,
Andrew

RTexasF
07-17-2011, 08:44 AM
It's like comparing apples and bowling balls. The Flex is in another league and yes, I have used it......it made short work of rock hard Mercedes clear. I'd still hang on to the PC though both for back up and using 4" pads for small difficult areas.

bigaizsosexy
07-17-2011, 08:49 AM
It's like comparing apples and bowling balls. The Flex is in another league and yes, I have used it......it made short work of rock hard Mercedes clear. I'd still hang on to the PC though both for back up and using 4" pads for small difficult areas.

Sounds great, Rick!! I plan on keeping my PC!! How could I get rid of a machine that I first started using right? I am going to change the Title as I think I am confusing people.

metalli445
07-19-2011, 08:03 PM
The forced rotation feature of the Flex will usually provide better cut and breakdown polishes faster than the XP. You have to worry less about downward pressure with the Flex -- just hold it flat on the paint and guide it and it will do its business nicely. It has a nice feather trigger and I never get post-DA jitters due to vibrations.

Most people who move up to the Flex like it and now they offer a smaller backing plate.

Those that do not like it fall usually say:

1. They do not like the forced rotation since you have to guide the polisher more and will walk if you do not hold the pad flex.

2. They want to use smaller pads. Flex now has a backing plate for 5.5-in pads so that addresses one aspect but if you need 4-in pads to do work it is best to keep XP around.

3, They want to use Megs microfiber pad system. I have never used the MF system but they say results are sub-optimal. I have the kit but have not used it yet.

Here is a link to a post by Mike P. on selecting a polisher.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html

Bunky,
If you had a DA polisher and wanted to go with a 4" pad, couldn't you just buy the DA adapter, a 2.75" hook and loop backing plate and use a 4" pad. I was looking off of this page when getting this information. CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html)

Pat

Bunky
07-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Bunky,
If you had a DA polisher and wanted to go with a 4" pad, couldn't you just buy the DA adapter, a 2.75" hook and loop backing plate and use a 4" pad. I was looking off of this page when getting this information. CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html)

Pat

I am not sure if you mean an adapter for the flex or an XP but I do have an older DA with a smaller backing plate (<4-in) and use it primarily with 4-in buffing pads.

Ted S.
07-19-2011, 08:09 PM
If and when you rid yoursself of the PC, I am looking to buy my first DA. Send me a PM if you are interested.:props:

BobbyG
07-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Hey Andrew,

A little over a year ago I bit the bullet and bought a Flex 3401 and have no regrets at all. Everything everyone says about this machine is absolutely true.

As for my Porter Cable 7424, I know use it mostly for applying sealants and waxes but it also sees paint correction action with 4" pads when I need to get into tight areas.

As far as I'm concerned this is an unbeatable combination. :props:

My polishers

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Collection_RD17.jpg

metalli445
07-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I am not sure if you mean an adapter for the flex or an XP but I do have an older DA with a smaller backing plate (<4-in) and use it primarily with 4-in buffing pads.

Yea I was reading where if you used the adapter listed on the link I posted, it would allow someone to attach a 2 ¾” backing plate to your DA polisher which would allow someone to use a 4" pad. You mentioned that if someone wanted to use a 4" pad they should keep there XP around. Would you still choose the XP with a 4" pad over a flex 3401 that was able to use a 4" pad as well? I was thinking about going with the 4" pad combination I mentioned on the flex thats why I brought it up.

Rsurfer
07-19-2011, 08:24 PM
To the OP, get a Flex, but keep your pc. You can use 4" pads with the PC for tight areas, headlights, windshield and carpets. You won't get much for a used PC so why not keep it. It will also serve as a back up buffer.

dougaross
07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Yea I was reading where if you used the adapter listed on the link I posted, it would allow someone to attach a 2 &#190;” backing plate to your DA polisher which would allow someone to use a 4" pad. You mentioned that if someone wanted to use a 4" pad they should keep there XP around. Would you still choose the XP with a 4" pad over a flex 3401 that was able to use a 4" pad as well? I was thinking about going with the 4" pad combination I mentioned on the flex thats why I brought it up.
You can cut a flex back plate down to 3 7/8"diam. to accept 4" pads

flex back plate (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/27461-flex-3401-circumcised-backing-plate.html)
thread backplate (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37178-if-you-could-only-have-one-4.html#post485684)

bigaizsosexy
07-19-2011, 08:42 PM
I am going to keep my PC for tight areas as you all stated. My flex will be in soon, and I can't wait to use it.

Bob,
I agree with you and what you stated! Next order I will purchase the small backing plate for my pc and some 4in pads. As for my flex, I purchased the smaller backing plate so I can use my 5.5in ccs pads.
Thanks,
Andrew