PDA

View Full Version : Megs MF pads and 105/205

jbrown287
07-17-2011, 06:40 AM
I am wondering if anyone has used 105/205 on the megs mf pads? The kit comes with it's own chemicals but I am wondering about these also.

BobbyG
07-17-2011, 06:46 AM
There have been several threads and post on this subject. If I remember correctly some success has been reported but personally I prefer to stay with the system products.

Try using the search function as it's pretty good in sifting through allot here identifying specifics.

jbrown287
07-17-2011, 06:53 AM
I looked under a couple things but couldnt find any. Things like Megs mf, Mf 105/205 and a few others. Do you remember any descriptors?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-17-2011, 07:27 AM
I know everyone is going to experiment but with the microfiber setup, its best to stay with what has been tested. Switching out 300 and 301 with 105/205 defeats the purpose of the microfiber system. Use the system as a kit or use 105/205 with the corresponding foam pads.

PAR Detailing
07-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Wanted to add more. See my next post.

PAR Detailing
07-17-2011, 07:46 AM
To OP: Give it a shot. I use it all the time when I need more cut.

I know everyone is going to experiment but with the microfiber setup, its best to stay with what has been tested. Switching out 300 and 301 with 105/205 defeats the purpose of the microfiber system. Use the system as a kit or use 105/205 with the corresponding foam pads.

I disagree that you defeat the purpose by using 105/205. This system has tons of potential and can do alot more if you think outside the box. If you think about it from the abrasives in the buffing liquid, All use the SMAT (super micro abrasives technology) so you can follow the directions they say for d300 and replace it for 105. You potentially will get more cut but with that you may get more hazing.

You certainly are not defeating the purpose by substituting these buffing liquids, you will possibly get different results such as more cut and/or more hazing or less cut and/or better finishing. If you have all 4 buffing liquids and the MF discs give it a shot and see for yourself.

jlb85
07-17-2011, 07:56 AM
M105 under MF cutting pad seems to work on certain paints better than others. It will cut more than D300, with the dusting and caking typical of M105. On some cars it finishes down better than a Surbuf, for example, on others it is just as severe as the Surbuf (which is not that severe at all). But it does work!

Typically, if I need the extra cut, Surbuf/M105 is more aggressive than MF/M105.

skipper1
07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
I use the 3" MF cutting pad and M105 all the time for spots, to get out scrapes and scratches. Works great.

pfix
07-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I just used 205 and the MF finishing pad yesterday with excellent results.I didn't want the protection piece of the D301 so I used 205 instead. The use of 105/205 has been recommended by Kevin Brown and there are several posts addressing this on other forums.

HD Uno and Optimum polishes have been reported to give good results when used with the MF pads.

Buy and try a few of these and see what works best for you.

silverfox
07-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I think the potential of the MF discs has only been scratched. More and more people are experimenting with incredible results. I'm starting to believe that whatever a foam pad can do...a MF pad will only enhance the results. I've read where some guys are removing 800 grit sanding marks with a DA polisher and MF discs. Now we need to see more on the finishing side of the MF disc debate which gets little notoriety.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, sounds like im going to have to change my mindset and start experimenting with the collection of products that I have.

maxniman
07-17-2011, 10:09 AM
To OP: Give it a shot. I use it all the time when I need more cut.

I disagree that you defeat the purpose by using 105/205. This system has tons of potential and can do alot more if you think outside the box. If you think about it from the abrasives in the buffing liquid, All use the SMAT (super micro abrasives technology) so you can follow the directions they say for d300 and replace it for 105. You potentially will get more cut but with that you may get more hazing.

You certainly are not defeating the purpose by substituting these buffing liquids, you will possibly get different results such as more cut and/or more hazing or less cut and/or better finishing. If you have all 4 buffing liquids and the MF discs give it a shot and see for yourself.

good answer:props:

PAR Detailing
07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Hmmm, sounds like im going to have to change my mindset and start experimenting with the collection of products that I have.

I would really encourage you to give it a try and see for yourself. Maybe you will like it, maybe you wont but there is nothing better than putting it to the test yourself. I would just hate to see you possibly limit the potential you have with the system.

good answer:props:

Thank you.

Fast Eddie
07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I love the MF pads, have lots of them and use them regularly on details with great success. I still have to get me some 300 & 301 to try out as I've just been using them with my 105/205 which I have on hand.

jbrown287
07-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the answers. At least I know that it's possible and if nothing else I will have foam pads around also.