PDA

View Full Version : How to connect a water pump, anyone good at electronics!?

Rav777
07-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Hello I recently purchased a shurflo on demand pump for my 50 gallon auto detail tank. I ordered the 3 gallon per minute pump. Here is the link of the exact pump for reference.

SHURflo On-Demand Diaphragm Pump — 3 GPM, 12 Volt, 1/2in., Model# 2088-343-135 | 12 Volt Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_527_527)

On the name plate it says it is a 10 amps max pump and to add a 15 amp time delay fuse.
Here is my dilemma. It is a 12 volt pump but I realized that I have too many hook ups to my car battery already. I want to transform it to a 110 volt wall plug and I want to hook it up to my generator.

Can this be done? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :xyxthumbs:

S2K
07-15-2011, 09:27 PM
The pump motor is designed to run on 12 volts direct current (DC). There is no way of converting a DC motor to run on AC (alternating current) as your generator puts out. The only way to do it is to get a power transformer (not inverter) that converts 110v AC to 12v DC. You could install a second battery in your car to run the pump, but that would probably cost as much as a power transformer.

Rav777
07-15-2011, 09:58 PM
The pump motor is designed to run on 12 volts direct current (DC). There is no way of converting a DC motor to run on AC (alternating current) as your generator puts out. The only way to do it is to get a power transformer (not inverter) that converts 110v AC to 12v DC. You could install a second battery in your car to run the pump, but that would probably cost as much as a power transformer.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I might just plug it up to a wall outlet since my customers let me use their power but it seems like that is AC current as well?
I found a power transformer that a guy sells with his sureflo pumps however it says it puts out 1.2 amps. My pump says 10 amps max. Can the pump run efficiently if 1.2 amps are going into it. Sorry if I sound like a noob, electronics were never really my forte.

Here is the plug for reference

Filter Direct Online Store (C) (http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=217)

Midnight1700
07-15-2011, 10:11 PM
There are many places out there that sell powersupplies that can easily run off your generator and produce clean/filtered 12vdc. These are actually pretty simple to build and you can most likely find a kit that you can build. Radio Shack may still have such a kit. Just google 12vdc power supply and you'll probably come up with a lot of choices.

S2K
07-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info! Yeah I might just plug it up to a wall outlet since my customers let me use their power but it seems like that is AC current as well?
I found a power transformer that a guy sells with his sureflo pumps however it says it puts out 1.2 amps. My pump says 10 amps max. Can the pump run efficiently if 1.2 amps are going into it. Sorry if I sound like a noob, electronics were never really my forte.

Here is the plug for reference

Filter Direct Online Store (C) (http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=217)
Yes, house current is AC just the same as your generator puts out. 1.2 amps will not handle a 10 amp load. Look into finding a power supply that is at least rated at 15 amps and you will not have any problems.

WEST SIDE
07-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Check out Acme Transformer company,I've purchased from them several times and their great to deal with.

Ken

Setec Astronomy
07-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Yes, house current is AC just the same as your generator puts out. 1.2 amps will not handle a 10 amp load. Look into finding a power supply that is at least rated at 15 amps and you will not have any problems.

I'm presuming that since the pump distributor sells this transformer, that it is sized correctly. I think you're overlooking the power requirement. Equipment runs on power, not amps. Power=watts=VA, so the motor requires 12V*10A= 120 watts. 115V*1.2A= 138 watts, so it would appear that the transformer has plenty of output if the 1.2A is at 115V.

Midnight1700
07-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Here's a link for a power supply. You may want to look at the specs to be sure, but it looks like it would work just fine.

DC 12V 30A Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply V | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-30A-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-V-/170663477691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bc5601bb)

Midnight1700
07-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Here's another one:

PYRAMID PS21KX 12 VOLT DC POWER SUPPLY AMP 20 AMP 450 W | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/PYRAMID-PS21KX-12-VOLT-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-AMP-20-AMP-450-W-/170634427778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ba9abd82)

Rav777
07-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. After thinking about it I think I am just going to free up my battery and plug my pump to the terminals. This will be the best cost efficient way

mpm
07-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I would skip the power supply. I use a 12V pump with a small car battery. I charge the battery every week or so. Put some alligator clips on the leads and hook it up when I need it. I use ONR on a regular basis so I don't need the pump as often as you might need it. Before ONR I'd charge the battery every couple of days or every 150 gallons of water. YMMV.

Rav777
07-17-2011, 08:52 PM
I would skip the power supply. I use a 12V pump with a small car battery. I charge the battery every week or so. Put some alligator clips on the leads and hook it up when I need it. I use ONR on a regular basis so I don't need the pump as often as you might need it. Before ONR I'd charge the battery every couple of days or every 150 gallons of water. YMMV.

Thanks for the advice! I am thinking of adding an on off switch to the pump and just plugging it up to my car battery. I just hope the pump doesnt drain the battery. I only have a 50 gallon tank but i might start my car after every wash or two. Last thing I want is to ask a customer for a jump start! So does the pump run straight off the battery? You didnt add any fuses or anything?

BTW ONR is awesome :xyxthumbs: