PDA

View Full Version : (4) windows questions

guess23959
07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
hi guys. i have 4 window questions.

1: i recently had my windows tinted. the shade is fantastic but there are small bubbles, probably about the same size as those smilie faces to your right if not smaller and it looks fugly cause the tint is black smoke (35%) and the bubbles are white. how can i get rid of them should i just use a sewing needle and pray to god that i dont have to hang anybody for screwing up my $250 tint job?
2: how would you go about getting the felt on the window ledge clean? (rolling down the window and rolling up for the nite leaves a streak everytime, i blame the window tint guy damn slob.)
3: i think the window tint guy MIGHT'VE screwed up my window defrost grid. i havent had a time to use it cause theres really no weather to use the defrost here cause it's summer. how do i know if it might be screwed up? the defrost grid is orange but missing spots are brown/black. will it work with the missing spots of the grid or do i have to roll somebody's car onto its roof for screwing up a job that was expensive for me?
4: would windex be good to clean the windows since it was a film that was used or should i use a damp/almost dry towel with water so the film doesnt start to deteriorate or screw up over time, i want this to last.

btw, the car is an 01 limited edition grand prix gtp blk 2dr. i will get pix up once the body work is fixed so far i was unable to detail cause of those errors. thx in advance.

ps- sry if i seem a tad violent on here, its just that i cant trust anyone to work on my car correctly. first the body work was screwed up, now the window tint bubbles and possibly rear defrost. god help me................ anyways sry again in advance for ranting.

ScottB
07-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Windex should not be used on tinted windows, most contain ammonia. Stick to Invisible Glass.

As for tint, take it back if after a week in hot sun bubbles exist. Often it is the soapy substance they use to hold it to glass and as it dries it often is removed. Larger bubbles should be pushed out carefully and best left to a professional.

S2K
07-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't use Windex, it has ammonia in it and does not play well with tint. Get a good glass cleaner that states it's safe with tint like Stoners Invisible Glass.
If there are bubbles in the tint I would take it back and make them fix it. The bubbles are just going to get worse.

S2K
07-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Guess we were typing at the same time Scott.

guess23959
07-16-2011, 06:53 AM
invisible glass, i will look for that. is it something i have to order or can i get that at autozone right down the street from me? and what should i do if they refuse to fix my windows? (i mean im not going to get violent its just how im feeling about the situation that im in right now)

Mentalm
07-16-2011, 07:32 AM
most places otc places have invisible glass . its by stoner.

04Si
07-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Don't use Windex, it has ammonia in it and does not play well with tint. Get a good glass cleaner that states it's safe with tint like Stoners Invisible Glass.
If there are bubbles in the tint I would take it back and make them fix it. The bubbles are just going to get worse.

actually be cautious, even on the Stoners website they have this disclaimer
SAFE to use on original equipment manufactured (OEM) and most after-market TINTED windows when used as directed. Always test on non-glass surfaces before using. Not recommended for use on polycarbonate plastic.

guess23959
07-16-2011, 11:56 AM
welp, popping the bubbles and getting rid of them was unsuccessful. i guess i gotta go to the facility and get nasty.

btw how would i go about cleaning the felt on the window ledge to get rid of smudges, should i use a toothbrush?

diablojota
07-16-2011, 12:00 PM
You can use a soft bristled toothbrush on it or a detail brush. Gently clean it with that. Maybe use some form of APC like Meguiar's APC+ diluted 10:1 or just a bit of your regular car soap. I usually also clean my felt using some tape or a lint roller to get off the lint left behind.

guess23959
07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
thx guys, i appreciate it! though my windows look like crap cause of the bubbles i have to get this fixed. once thats fixed i will post a write up of my fully extensive detail. thx again!