PDA

View Full Version : Information from anyone at Autogeek

secchildhood
07-15-2011, 01:14 PM
The last few days my garage tempature exceeded 100 degrees and it seems like my xmt 1 2 3 4 polish lost it's viscosity. They are about a year old so I don't know if it was the heat or are they just old. I only do 2 cars so they sit on the shelf. How long should they last. There almost like water.

oldmodman
07-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Can't really offer any help.

Except to say that about two years ago when I saw how much I was spending on high quality detailing supplies I moved all my waxes and sealants into my house. Where the temp never goes over 80 or below 48.

My finishing supplies have as much right to be comfortable as I do.

But I still leave my washes, cleaners, and compounds out in the garage.

Meghan
07-15-2011, 02:29 PM
They should be ok I have some in the garage a few years old I still use. Did you try taking them inside and letting them cool off yet?

secchildhood
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I did bring them inside the house but I think there cooked. I am going to buy new ones and take the advice of the other post, and keep them in the house. This summer has been brutal and we had a lot of solutions go bad.

thanks

BobbyG
07-15-2011, 02:43 PM
It's a bit disheartening when you first see them but this is pretty common. I've seen this more times than I can count and never had it affect the product or its performance providing it's mixed.

Shake them up well and take them inside where it's cooler. Let them stabilize at room temp, providing that's not 100 degrees as well.

BobbyG
07-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Except to say that about two years ago when I saw how much I was spending on high quality detailing supplies I moved all my waxes and sealants into my house. Where the temp never goes over 80 or below 48.

A good practice to get into. :props:

kronos
07-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Shake them up well and take them inside where it's cooler. Let them stabilize at room temp, providing that's not 100 degrees as well.

:iagree:

OP, shake them vigorously for a few minutes and see if that helps. I had some Poorboy's SSR2 turn watery on me a few months ago while I had it stored in my garage. I shook it for quite a while until I noticed the original consistency return. My arm was tired but it worked.

secchildhood
07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I will try to shake them up tonight when I get home. They have been in the house now for 24hrs. Our house is always set at 70 degrees because I can't stand the heat.
We brought all of the tools (Dewalt rotary), pads, and everthing else inside. My wife was so nice she gave up cabinet space close to the garage inside door. The forcast for Chicago this weekend is 96 and above.

jpegs13
07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Or you could put A/C in the garage .....:dblthumb2:
Friedrich Ductless Split Air Conditioners (http://www.friedrich.com/split-air-conditioning/?gclid=CN3Fn5aShKoCFaZd5QodhTvoyA)

Nick McKees37
07-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Shake 'em like a polaroid picture! :idea:

I have a couple bottles of XMT Polishes that are several years old and if left in the heat too long, they will tend to get watery, just like most other products. After shaking vigorously for several minutes they return to a thicker consistency and perform flawlessly. :props:

BobbyG
07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I will try to shake them up tonight when I get home. They have been in the house now for 24hrs. Our house is always set at 70 degrees because I can't stand the heat.
We brought all of the tools (Dewalt rotary), pads, and everthing else inside. My wife was so nice she gave up cabinet space close to the garage inside door. The forcast for Chicago this weekend is 96 and above.

Now that's an awfully nice thing to do!! :props:

Just as a side note:

I've never lost a product because it got to warm. I have lost several through the years for forgetting them on the shed over the winter and having them freeze and probably repeatedly. :nomore:

secchildhood
07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone!!!!!

Twister
07-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I think they will be fine. I would take inside to cool off. I have this happen to my polishes all the time. I'm getting a container to put them in my closet

secchildhood
07-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks Everyone for your help!!