PDA

View Full Version : 2BM question: am I doing something wrong?

newb001
07-15-2011, 08:39 AM
When doing a 2bm wash, I use 2, 5-gallon home depot buckets. I fill them each with 2 gallons of water, and the appropriate amount of soap in the wash bucket. I use a wool wash mitt and after soaking in the wash bucket I let it drip for a few seconds before going to the car. Then I rinse it in the rinse bucket and back to wash bucket for more.

However, about half-way through washing my Q5, the wash bucket has lost nearly half its water, and the rinse bucket has gained a bit (the rest of course is on the car/ground).

Does anyone else have the issue or running out of water in the wash bucket? Am I doing something wrong (i.e. I should be wringing it out more), or should I just use more water in my wash bucket to start with (or just add more as needed)? I don't have a dolly so I have to lug the buckets around the car (which is why I only start with 2 gallons in the wash bucket).

Thanks.

Marc08EX
07-15-2011, 08:42 AM
I think what you're experiencing is normal. You have to soak your wash mitt and use that solution as lubrication when washing the car. You also have a SUV so you will need more water than normal.

I would suggest using 3-4 gallons of water in your wash bucket on your next wash and see how that works out.

Cat ji
07-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I use two 20 liter buckets (similar to 5 gallons,) about 90% full. I have to refill the soap bucket before I'm finished - and it's a very small car. The buckets are heavy. I'm going to be making a 2 bucket trolley...one day.

newb001
07-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks everybody. Sounds like I'm ok then, just need to start with more water or add more as I go.

On a related note, my rinse bucket gets very sudsy (after a short while I can't tell which bucket is which unless I have them marked). Is that normal as well? Or am I somehow not transferring enough soap from wash mitt to car, and it's just going from bucket to bucket?

Thanks again!

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Yes, the rinse bucket will get all foamy if you're using a wash that foams well.

Marc08EX
07-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks everybody. Sounds like I'm ok then, just need to start with more water or add more as I go.

On a related note, my rinse bucket gets very sudsy (after a short while I can't tell which bucket is which unless I have them marked). Is that normal as well? Or am I somehow not transferring enough soap from wash mitt to car, and it's just going from bucket to bucket?

Thanks again!

Mine does that too so you're fine. :dblthumb2:

newb001
07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Yes, the rinse bucket will get all foamy if you're using a wash that foams well.

Great, thanks!

Cat ji
07-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Make a plan like always keep the soap bucket on the right side of the rinse bucket. I fill the rinse bucket almost full. And the soap bucket has a red handle. :) I'm hoping to find some translucent or white paint or cooking oil buckets (which are very similar to the Lowes buckets and branded car wash buckets) so I can mark the filling levels on the soap bucket with permanent marker.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
newb001, did you make it over to the Poorboy's shindig a couple weeks ago?

newb001
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
newb001, did you make it over to the Poorboy's shindig a couple weeks ago?

Unfortunately I did not :( It was too short notice and I couldn't get out of other plans I had.

But it's great to know that they are there and I hope to make it to future events.

rockford33
07-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Just my $.02, but it might help.

I have an average size sedan and fill my buckets with 2 gallons each. Marked the level with permanent marker (actually saved a gallon milk jug to get it right, but Mike P. is correct that about 6 inches up is 2 gallons). For my car, 2 gallons works fine. I experience the same as you (wash bucket gets lower, rinse bucket gets more), but I always have some wash solution left at the end.

What I would suggest is to determine how much water you need to wash your vehicle and still have a little left over (factor of safety). I don't think it wise to "add as you go" because then you are diluting the soap more, so may not have enough lubricity, etc. as you continue through washing the car. If you find that you need 4 gallons to wash the car, then you can add the appropriate amount of soap and water at the beginning to last the whole wash.

And yes, lugging around 2 buckets of water sucks! Unfortunately, my driveway isn't wide enough to allow the use of a dolly and car in it at the same time (it is about 1 foot wider each side than the car). Half the time I am standing in the grass while washing the car!

-Neil

Bunky
07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I mix 3 gallons soap and about 2 gallons rinse unless I use 2 grit guards in the rinse bucket.

I am pretty liberal with the soap mixture (taking it from the soap bucket without squeezing to keep as much in the mitt) and I end up with about 1.5 gallons left and some of it ends in the wash bucket.

I use Race Glaze mitts now for most washes and they suck up over a quart in the initial dunking.