PDA

View Full Version : Wash Method + Newbie Questions...

Pages : [1] 2

PT87
07-15-2011, 08:28 AM
To preface this post, I have a '10 Ford Fusion Sport (Red) that has been waxed once (NXT 2.0), and washed in a Coin-Op with a bucket and Meguiars microfibers (mitt, towels, etc.) but with only water. No soap! I know :( .

Anyways, I wanted to ask you about the best wash method for someone living in an apartment with no access to a hose, and no access to a garage.

I picked up some Gold Class suds yesterday because after reading here, using only water is the equivalent of high-crime.

My method would now work like this:

Coin-Op:
1) Insert $1.75
2) Rinse Car
3) Fill up bucket with water + GC suds
4) Use Megs MF mitt and wash car
5) Insert $1.75
6) Rinse car
7) Dry

Now this would be my preferred method, but some people on here say that Coin-Op's water is recycled and therefore not de-salinated.

My second option would be to buy ONR and haul buckets of water down from my apartment. I don't really want to haul 5 gallon buckets via stairs, but if you guys say this is best, then so be it.

And, yes I could go to a family members house, use their drive, use their hose, but I like washing my car at weird times (early am, late pm), haha.

Final question for you all:

Would you recommend I clay bar the car this weekend before putting on another coat of NXT 2.0? I last put on a coat a month or so ago, but I think my bad washing method may have stripped off the wax. This is a daily driver that is not garage kept so I want to keep the detailing as simple as can be, but also to a higher standard.

It's going to be 88*F with 70% humidity; is this asking for trouble (even if I utilize a garage) when using the NXT 2.0?

HeavyMetal
07-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Get some Optimum No-Rinse or DP No-Rinse car wash. Stop at Wally World, KMart or your local grocery and pick up 3 gal of distilled water. It's like a buck a gallon. Wash the car out of the sun using the NR and drying with a plush mf drying towel one panel at a time.

If you want to use the Gold Class, get 4 gal of distilled water. Use 2 gal for washing and 2 gal for rinse. Wash a panel with the GC, rinse with mf towels soaked in the clean water, dry, repeat.

Be aware that no matter how well you wash, you will not remove bonded contaminants. To do that you need to clay the car. Also be aware that unless you polish, the car will still be swirled from normal use and washing.

PT87
07-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks heavy metal! That DP NR may work very well considering you don't need a lot of water!

What drying method is best for the DP Rinseless? Cobra HD Guzzler slid across the surface? Or, more of a two towel method per panel?

Is the HD Guzzler the way to go for drying? My Megs Waffle Weave feels a bit harsh, in my opinion.

Also, why do you say not in the sun? As I'm in an apartment, I have to fight for my shade. If this product is sun-sensitive, it may be a no-go :(.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2011, 09:38 AM
The reason to stay out of the sun is to keep the wash from drying on the car too quickly. If you use one of the rinseless products (ONR, DPRW&G, or others), you don't really need to use distilled water (although it won't hurt), and you'll probably only use a gallon of water. If the car is really dirty pretreat with a pump up sprayer.

As far as drying, it's usually a two towel method. You start with one towel, when that gets too wet to fully dry, you use the wet one for the first drying pass, then a second pass with the dry towel. When the second towel gets too wet, put the first one aside and use that one for the first pass and a fresh towel for the second pass, and so on.

PT87
07-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Just ordered the DP W+G ! Also picked up the Guzzler combo (1 Ultimate + 1 regular).

I feel like I'm going to mess this up!

EDIT: I'm more concerned with the drying method and the Rinseless wash. Can anyone offer tips in this area? Also, do you think I can get away with the one bucket method instead of using 2?

Jimmie
07-15-2011, 11:18 AM
If I didn't have access to a hose it would be DP No Rinse or if not too dirty PB Spray and Wipe. Poorboy's Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash: Just spray and wipe away dirt and grime with this quick cleaner! qed, poorboys waterless wipe, poorboys quick (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsaw16.html) . Both easy to use. You can fill your bucket in the tub or shower for DPNR.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
do you think I can get away with the one bucket method instead of using 2?

Optimal is 2-bucket, but you can surely get away with one especially if you have a Grit Guard in it.

Sealioo
07-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried a hybrid approach tothe coin op/no rinse methods?

If an apartment dweller like the OP and myself live within a few minutes of the coin op, is there anything wrong with high pressure rinse and wheels cleaning at the coin op, then come home and do a no rinse? Would this help reduce the chance of marring that may be present when using only a no rinse wash?

HeavyMetal
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Just ordered the DP W+G ! Also picked up the Guzzler combo (1 Ultimate + 1 regular).

I feel like I'm going to mess this up!

EDIT: I'm more concerned with the drying method and the Rinseless wash. Can anyone offer tips in this area? Also, do you think I can get away with the one bucket method instead of using 2?

You'll like the DP. I can wash a regular sedan with about 1.5 gal. That includes door, truck and hood jams and tires and wheel wells. Do the outside surfaces of the car first. I ususally start with the roof to get it out of the way, then go on to hood and trunk. Dry with a plush mf drying towel as you go. I wipe LIGHTLY. Once the first drying towel gets too wet (usually 4 panels or so) I switch to a dry one and hang the wet one to dry a little. You can then switch back.

For side panels, do the upper part of a panel first. Then do the rockers along one side and use the same rag or mitt to do the lower bumper areas, the other rockers and the wheel well edges. These are the dirtiest areas on the car. I use an older mf for them. Toss the mf aside once you're done - that mf is loaded by then. Then finish up the rest of the side panels and bumbers. It's OK if you go over the rockers, etc again, you got off the bad crud first pass.

Once your done with that, get the door, hood and trunk jams. Finnaly do the wheels and wheel wells with a brush and the mf you used on the rockers. Done. Takes me about 20 min. You can do a quick wipedown of the interior with the wet drying towel if it's not too dirty.

I don't use a 2 bucket, but then I have a garden hose to blast the crud out of my wash mit and rags. I really suggest you use a 2 bucket with grit guards. Put 1.5 gal in the rinse bucket and really rinse out your mitt after each panel. I still use a grit guard in my wash bucket. BTW, you can cut a ring off the grit guard to fit in smaller buckets.

This ain't rocket science; you won't screw up. Keep your towels and wash stuff off the ground. Rinse the wash rag or mitt well each time. Swish it around wring out. Repeat.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried a hybrid approach tothe coin op/no rinse methods?

If an apartment dweller like the OP and myself live within a few minutes of the coin op, is there anything wrong with high pressure rinse and wheels cleaning at the coin op, then come home and do a no rinse? Would this help reduce the chance of marring that may be present when using only a no rinse wash?

Yeah, that's a great solution that many use.

PT87
07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
You guys are great!

Hate to clutter the thread, but you all have me concerned about my mitts & towels. I have been using the Megs MF mitts (stained from some contact with tires, but otherwise in good conditioned. For the rinseless wash, would you recommend a "grout sponge" over my current mitts? What about the MF Chenille Dread mitts available at an auto parts store?

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2011, 12:55 PM
I never really liked grout sponges, but I do like those muppet-head mitts and pads...but I seem to be in the minority on both counts.

PT87
07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
When I take my wash mitt (or sponge) out of the bucket and first go to slide it across a panel, should that panel be wet beforehand? Should I wring the mitt on the paint before I glide the mitt over the paint?

Perhaps a spray bottle with ONR?

Bunky
07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
When I take my wash mitt (or sponge) out of the bucket and first go to slide it across a panel, should that panel be wet beforehand? Should I wring the mitt on the paint before I glide the mitt over the paint?

Perhaps a spray bottle with ONR?

I always spray down the entire exterior with ONR (since that is what I have mixed up) before using a rinseless wash. I have one of those pump up sprayers found in the lawn and garden section.

Does it help? I really do not know but cannot hurt to help reduce risk of marring.

PT87
07-15-2011, 05:56 PM
My Megs Waffle Weave seems pretty rough, but how can I tell when I shouldn't be using it on my car? Also, are my Megs Mitts okay even if they are stained?

This sounds amateur, but how much pressure should be applied to a sus-soaked mitt on your paint?