PDA

View Full Version : Getting a coating - help me decide

Pages : [1] 2

Shane731
07-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Since the new coatings became available on Autogeek, I have been thinking of getting one. My daily driver sits outside 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. She takes quite the abuse from the elements, but she never complains. I also have a spot on my roof where the clearcoat has started to fail, beginning last September or so:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P1010113.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/22845/size/big/cat/ppuser/24886)

This spot has worsened only slightly, but I want to do what I can to keep it from getting much worse. So I want you guys to help me out. Which coating should I get and why: Opti-Coat 2.0 or Cquartz? I am also considering putting Cquartz on the exterior glass. Good idea? I do prefer water beading over sheeting, so that is important to me, although not necessarily a deal-breaker. I also want a product that will be the most user friendly and hard to mess up. Also, can you use Reload over Opti-Coat 2.0, or just Cquartz? Thanks guys!

embolism
07-14-2011, 09:21 PM
it's too bad there isn't a polling feature.

I'd vote for opti-coat

I think reload can be used on OC, but OCW is probably the main topping of choice...

Dr Oldz
07-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I have only used the OC 2.0 and I love it. Beads like mad, nothing really sticks to it, washes up super easy and doesn't water spot like CQ has some reports of(I think CQ has resolved that issue with the new version tho)

Shane731
07-14-2011, 09:29 PM
How foolproof is the Opti-Coat? Any issues when using it? Is it sensitive to heat, humidity, and things of that nature?

embolism
07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
check out Corey's super review though he is comparing OC to the old formula CQ. His reviews usually have ambient temp

one thing I just learned today is that it takes 3 months for OC to reach its full hardness. Not sure if CQ is the same

Dr Oldz
07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
How foolproof is the Opti-Coat? Any issues when using it? Is it sensitive to heat, humidity, and things of that nature?

I have had no issues in a few different climates that I have tried it.(one was hot and humid and the rest were average days) I wouldn't try it in direct sun, obviously! It is a bit different than a traditional LSP to apply but after a small section, you will get the hang of it and the rest is a breeze from there.

TroyScherer
07-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Shane, I have applied Cquartz to my wife car and am currently in long term testing on it. It was very easy to apply and looks great. It sheets water like mad when playing with the hose :p. The only 2 real issues I have are these. 1: Water spotting and etching into the coating. 2: Cquartz IMO is more of a super sealant not a coating.
Based on this and my experience so far I would choose OC over Cquartz. OC is more "permanent". For the cost you will need to re-apply CQ every 2 years or so. In the end it ends up being more expensive to use and keep up.

C. Charles Hahn
07-14-2011, 09:54 PM

If you've ever used Opti-Seal, you won't have any trouble at all using Opti-Coat. Application is extremely similar.

AeroCleanse
07-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Another vote of OC

WRAPT C5Z06
07-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Opti-Coat.

Avi@CarPro
07-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Cquartz improved version fully cured and dry within 48h after applied.
no need to avoid soaping the car for 7 days anymore, only at first 48 hours.
water spots will be easy to remove.
cquartz main target is Hardness !, to protect from washing swirls . so i wont call it sealant
you will get at least 50% better anti washing marring with cquartz , if your paint is not too soft.

Dr Oldz
07-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Cquartz improved version fully cured and dry within 48h after applied.
no need to avoid soaping the car for 7 days anymore, only at first 48 hours.
water spots will be easy to remove.
cquartz main target is Hardness !, to protect from washing swirls . so i wont call it sealant
you will get at least 50% better anti washing marring with cquartz , if your paint is not too soft.

Was the first version rushed to market? Seems so or at least there wasn't enough testing IMO! A lot of people got suckered into buying it and now there is a second version already....any refunds for people that got the first version???????????

50% better anti washing marring....can you prove this claim??

Have you tried the two bucket method??

pfix
07-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Was the first version rushed to market? Seems so or at least there wasn't enough testing IMO! A lot of people got suckered into buying it and now there is a second version already....any refunds for people that got the first version???????????

50% better anti washing marring....can you prove this claim??

Have you tried the two bucket method??

I agree. I have my unopened CQ and Reload sitting on the shelf debating on whether or not to use them or buy the OC instead. If I could exchange it for the new formula I would use it, but right now it may be used for wheels only or on the old Silverado.

BobbyG
07-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Opti-Coat 2.0would be my first choice....

JSMet
07-15-2011, 06:20 AM
I would also go with Opti-coat.