PDA

View Full Version : Stripping 845?

S2K
07-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I applied 845 about 3 months ago and have applied 2 coats of Fuzion since then (about once a month each). I received a sample of Liquid Souvern and want to try it out on fresh paint. So what is the best way to strip what is already on there. Will Dawn strip the 845? and if so what dilution ratio is best for Dawn? IF not is there any OTC product that will? The temps here are dropping 15 degrees this weekend so I would like to do this before it gets hot again.

embolism
07-14-2011, 08:57 PM
3oz of dawn to 2 gallons of water should strip it

If you want to be sure, you could also use apc at 20:1 dilution. Rather than try to mix it into the wash water, I like to rinse the car, then spritz the panel just before I go over it with the dawn wash soap.

I've used up to 4:1 zep citrus to strip with no issues. I've recently read that the recommended general apc dilutions are 64:1 for waxes, and 20:1 for sealants...

S2K
07-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks Tim,
I have Megs APC+ and that sounds good to spritz it and then wash.

redline
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM
wd-40???

Dr Oldz
07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I hate using Dawn. I would suggest
Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/128oz-optimum-power-clean-apc.html) (safe for paint)

or a chemical polish such as
P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax (http://www.autogeek.net/p2paincleanl.html)
or
Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html)

845 is pretty durable stuff so I would personally go with one of the two polishes listed above but I have had good luck with OPC at 3:1 stripping waxes.(just do a test spot if you use this method to see if all the wax is removed)

S2K
07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Jim,
How can I know if all the wax is removed? This is something I have wondered about, how can one know for sure if wax is there or not.

Dr Oldz
07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Jim,
How can I know if all the wax is removed? This is something I have wondered about, how can one know for sure if wax is there or not.

Beading and the "Squeaky Clean Effect" are pretty good judges IMO but I guess trust in the products to remove the wax/sealant is another factor. You can also usually feel a difference from a waxed/sealed panel or section from an unprotected area. So a bit of a combination is the best way to tell.

Ted S.
07-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Mix about 3 ounces of dawn, as Tim said, with about an ounce of a wash that has some good lubricants(or 1/2 of BTBM:)), that way it's harder to marr the surface. I've stripped #845 with this method, just the other day so I could try some powerlock.:xyxthumbs:

Just wash the paint until water no longer beads, but rather sits on the paint like a sheet for a few seconds. You may have to let the solution set on the paint and let time help dissolve the #845.

Just make sure you dress you trim up afterwards! While I think Dawn has little to no chance of fading trim, it "may" dry out rubber seals/tires. So make sure you take precautions if you choose the Dawn wash method.

S2K
07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Mix about 3 ounces of dawn, as Tim said, with about an ounce of a wash that has some good lubricants(or 1/2 of BTBM:)), that way it's harder to marr the surface. I've stripped #845 with this method, just the other day so I could try some powerlock.:xyxthumbs:

Just wash the paint until water no longer beads, but rather sits on the paint like a sheet for a few seconds. You may have to let the solution set on the paint and let time help dissolve the #845.

Just make sure you dress you trim up afterwards! While I think Dawn has little to no chance of fading trim, it "may" dry out rubber seals/tires. So make sure you take precautions if you choose the Dawn wash method.
What is BTBM? And I'm guessing your "wash" is a rinseless like ONR or DP Rinesless wash and gloss.

Ted S.
07-14-2011, 10:56 PM
What is BTBM? And I'm guessing your "wash" is a rinseless like ONR or DP Rinesless wash and gloss.

Dodo Juice's Born to Be Mild. It's one of my favorite maintanence washes; the lubricants are the best!:props:

Not a rinseless, a regular.

S2K
07-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks Ted I understand now, Dawn plus a good car soap for slickness.

BobbyG
07-15-2011, 06:04 AM
wd-40???

While WD-40 can be used to remove wax stains on trim I wouldn't suggest using it all over the finish. Many penetrating oils contain silicone and these should tend to cause issues when applying sealants or waxes. Besides being costly, trying to remove every last bit of WD-40 will be a huge challenge.

Wash with a solution of Dawn and all purpose cleaner then give it a quick clay. Another suggestion is to go over the finish with a paint cleaner such as Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser or Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer.

HeavyMetal
07-15-2011, 07:19 AM
:iagree:

Hey. I love WD40 as much as the next guy. While it is nothing but a mixture of various petroleum distillates and your car is designed to be resistant to these products, I still don't think it's a good idea to go soaking your paint with this stuff. Yeah, it was designed to prevent corrosion on both painted and bare metal parts of missles, but that's a bit different than auto paint. Squeaky hinges, wax removal and general lubrication, fine. Soaking your exterior paint; maybe, maybe not. And it is gonna be a a bit of a bear to wash off since it was designed not to. However, it does make the best starting fluid I've ever found.

FUNX650
07-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Sounds as if you have absolutely no other "non-Colly 845 covered" vehicle to use as a guinea pig for application of your new LSP. Too bad, then, IMO, if that is so.......Because.....

What an intense regret I would experience to remove such a worthwhile LSP as COLLY 845 due to that condition! :(

Bob