PDA

View Full Version : need help guys

budinsc
07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
wife has a 07 mb with a super hard clear coat with micro scratches i cant seem to remove.

am using a pcxp with cobra 6.5 cutting and finishing pads (orange and gray). am conditioning and later priming the pads with megs 105 using moderate pressure which results in a high gloss finish but leaves the micro scratches from the previous owners car wash trips. repeated applications dont help remove the scratches.

am topping this by using ultima sealant which give the finish a fabulous look unless its viewed under the sun or halogen lights. to the untrained eye the car looks brand new but i want to kill the micro scratches for a true concours finish.

you pros please give me some pointers.

tks a million!

budFeed back please

BobbyG
07-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Bud,

I've done two Mercedes and both have had very hard clear coats.

The 6 1/2" diameter pads a Porter Cable 7424 in my opinion pushes the limit of the machine and this could be part of the problem.

I have the same machine and found a world of difference when I decided to try Lake Country 5 1/2 diameter pads.

The Porter Cable 7424 style dual action polisher should come standard with 5 1/2 inch pads and corresponding backing plate.

Pads & Friction

The size or surface area does not directly affect the frictional force between two surfaces until downward force or pressure is applied. Reducing the pad size will only improve the mechanical efficiency of the machine.

The motor of your polisher produces some amount of power. The larger the pad surface area the harder the motor must work. Now, most will say "it's only 1 extra inch", but when it comes to surface area and friction your really talking about an additional 10 square inches. Now take a look at the difference between the 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7" pad...........Size does matter!

Surface Area - 5 1/2 pad = 23.75 inē

Surface Area - 6 1/2 pad = 33.18 inē

Surface Area - 7 pad = 38.484 inē

There is a direct relationship between the pad surface area and the polishers ability to transfer adequate power to the pad improving it's overall performance.

Lake Country Pads

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

Backing Plate

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

While Meguiar's M105 is a widely used product I really like the Menzerna line. If I had to recommend a bundle of paint correction product this would be it.

Menzerna Bundle

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-bundle3.html)

Switching to a smaller diameter pad may make the difference you need but if the Meguiar's M105 isn't working give the Menzerna products a try...

Porsche Pilot
07-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Excellent and educated response Bobby. Bud, he has hit the nail on the head.

budinsc
07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
i agree with porsche pilot bobby. your detailed and professional response to my problem is greatly appreciated! will follow your advice and advise. am going to love this forum.

bud

HeavyMetal
07-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Bobby is dead on. I have a PCXP and one red 6.5" pad that came free with Menz Powerlock. It's barely acceptable for spreading sealant. I couldn't imagine polishing with it. Switch to the 5.5" pads. BTW, according to Menz, Mercedes uses their polishes to finish the paint. If the mfg chose a particular brand, it's probably a good idea to try it.

cutter
07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Well said Bobby!!! OP take his advice and go with smaller pads. Detailing is not "Rocket Science" but there is science involved when you get down to the "nitty gritty" and want to do it properly.