PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Guard'ed

AeroCleanse
07-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I applied Opti-Guard to my test vehicle last night. It was getting dark so I wait until this morning to make a quick walk around video.

Car was foamed with Meg's APC, washed with CG Maxi Studs II, then IPA'd before applying the Opti-Guard. I found the included foam applicator to be lacking, I think I'll try using some microfiber next time.

Opti-Guard walk around (http://youtu.be/Y9_KgcsukKU)

I took the video with my cell phone, so its not the worlds best.

I used the spray method Chris@Optimum suggested, I still have a little left over from the 10cc's. I did everything, paint, windows, trim and wheels.

Chris Thomas
07-14-2011, 01:33 PM
How do you feel with one under your belt? I feel that after 2-3 panels it is very intuitive.

AeroCleanse
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
How do you feel with one under your belt? I feel that after 2-3 panels it is very intuitive.

I feel I need a better applicator than the foam one that comes with it. I have a larger MF applicator that came with Ultima Paint Guard Plus, which I will be trying next time.

Also not being sure if it would be safe or not to reuse the MF towel I used, I tossed it out. Would the Opti coating wash out in a machine with a microfiber cleaner or do I just toss out the towel after?

Hoytman
07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm lost! What's the difference between Opti Guard and Opti Coat? I'm familiar with the OC 2.0 as I've watched several videos and read several reviews. I've considered putting it on a Black Chevy Trailblazer once I get it swirl free. Not sure about, or what Opti Guard is.

AeroCleanse
07-14-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm lost! What's the difference between Opti Guard and Opti Coat? I'm familiar with the OC 2.0 as I've watched several videos and read several reviews. I've considered putting it on a Black Chevy Trailblazer once I get it swirl free. Not sure about, or what Opti Guard is.

Opti-Guard is the professional version, Opti-Coat 2.0 is the consumer version.

Hoytman
07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Can you elaborate on differences? Price, application, quality, differences, etc.?

Chris Thomas
07-14-2011, 02:52 PM
we went with the foam because it gives great feedback with a squeak when you need to add more to the pad. I find myself using a rectangle MF applicator and a 2oz sprayer more often though. Both the applicator and the MF towel can be reused if washed immediately after use. If you are going to do the car in sections over a couple of days, then you'd need to wash and dry them after each session.

Optiguard-pro version not available to the public. Faster curing for when cars need to be returned same day. Less time to correct overapplication.

Opticoat 2.0-consumer version, slightly less concentrated to ensure easier application, easier to correct if you over apply.

AeroCleanse
07-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Can you elaborate on differences? Price, application, quality, differences, etc.?

Only that Opti-Guard comes in 10cc and 40cc, I think Opti-Coat 2.0 is 20cc. You also need to do some paperwork to be able to buy Opti-Guard.

Ask Chris@Optimum if you want more info.

silverfox
07-14-2011, 02:56 PM
I agree the foam applicator is lacking. A Microfiber pad would be my choice looking back on it.

FUNX650
07-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I applied Opti-Guard to my test vehicle last night. It was getting dark so I wait until this morning to make a quick walk around video.

Car was foamed with Meg's APC, washed with CG Maxi Studs II, then IPA'd before applying the Opti-Guard. I found the included foam applicator to be lacking, I think I'll try using some microfiber next time.

Opti-Guard walk around (http://youtu.be/Y9_KgcsukKU)

I took the video with my cell phone, so its not the worlds best.

I used the spray method Chris@Optimum suggested, I still have a little left over from the 10cc's. I did everything, paint, windows, trim and wheels.

Thanks for your posting. Your vehicle really looks nice! Your application looks flawless. Don't worry about the method of your filming...The video turned out great.

BTW, I told ya I was going to follow your input on the Coatings. So if you don't mind...keep posting your progress. :)

Bob

AeroCleanse
07-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks for your posting. Your vehicle really looks nice! Your application looks flawless. Don't worry about the method of your filming...The video turned out great.

BTW, I told ya I was going to follow your input on the Coatings. So if you don't mind...keep posting your progress. :)

Bob

It's my fathers car :xyxthumbs:

It got some bird bombs today, wiped off with a little water from a spray bottle.

Dr Oldz
07-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Try micro-suede wrapped around for some type of foam. (I used an old polishing pad cut up). Worked even better than a MF applicator and doesn't waste much product.

Perfections
07-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Just a heads up to try, old school polishing cloths rock for opti coat install, just make sure they don't lint :)

AeroCleanse
07-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Just a heads up to try, old school polishing cloths rock for opti coat install, just make sure they don't lint :)

Guess I'm not old school enough to what that are.

Perfections
07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Guess I'm not old school enough to what that are.

They are usually hidden in the automotive/detailing section, most of the time near the towels but usually on the bottom shelf since I'm guessing they don't get bought much lol, if you can find a decent one that doesn't lint man they rock and really make application a breeze. They remind me of the carpro mf's but a different material, that absorbs just enough opti coat and releases it slowly as you wipe it across the surface.