PDA

View Full Version : Your input PLEASE! (For your benefit)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CEE DOG
07-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi guys, I would like to know what size monitor you guys are using. The reason I ask is I always take my pictures for my reviews at 480x640 so that people with 15" monitors can see the picture (Thanks to Mike P) without having to scroll to the left and right. I would love to use larger pictures and when looking at Bill's review yesterday it brought this up in my mind again. For me I'm usually on a 23" monitor except when on the ipad so I like the big pics but would like the input from the rest of you. If a sufficient majority (like (90%) of people have the larger monitors maybe I will switch back to larger pictures.

Also, feel free to voice your opinions on picture sizes in posts in general.

Thanks for your input

reality33
07-14-2011, 08:06 AM
I use a 24" monitor with a reso of 1920 x 1200... so post as big as you like :D

Flannigan
07-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Two 24" monitors. MAKE 'EM BIG!!! lol

dad07
07-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Corey all I have are 15" monitors, but if you want to go larger on your pics I don"t mind scrolling left or right.

FWIW,any pic or post that you make is worth its weight in gold!

kronos
07-14-2011, 08:11 AM
I have a 17" and a 14" laptop, but a 480x640 picture does not fill the 14" monitor at all. The resolution on my 14" monitor is set to 1280x300. I like to post images with a 800x600 resolution (4:3).

LegacyGT
07-14-2011, 08:16 AM
I am probably in the 1% of users ... at work I have dual 22'' wide screen monitors running 1680x1050. At home I have triple displays as 1x19'' and 2x27'' running 1900x1200.

I do re-size my pictures to take up 80% of the screen for a 22'' monitor (about 1280 pixels wide), and I should probably put a few prefaces on my posts as to how to enjoy the best quality pictures.

Unfortunately I would rather the pictures look amazing for the majority of people, then scale them down to ensure 100% compatibility with all screen sizes. If you have a small monitor/low resolution, leave the resize pictures enabled, otherwise go into your preferences and turn it off for maximum picture awesomeness. My laptop is a 15'' screen, but it is high resolution (1440x900) and the pictures still look great on it.

I may be getting a 30'' cinema display to use for a while (friend needs a place to move it) ... and it would let me edit my pictures at close to 100% resolution which is astonishing (they are over 5,184x3456 pixels wide). Those are sweet monitors.

Mike Phillips
07-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Two 24" monitors, one landscape, one portrait.

Even with larger monitors, there's still a certain amount of space required on the sides for the forum interface, so a good rule of thumb that's worked well is to resize to a maximum width of 800 pixels wide.

This is 800 pixels wide...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1205/1962CadConvert025.jpg

Post #3 in the below thread touches on the topic of picture width when working on discussion forums...

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles-discussion-forums/21320-how-work-pictures-discussion-forums.html)

:)

Capa1970
07-14-2011, 08:23 AM
22"

LegacyGT
07-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Two 24" monitors, one landscape, one portrait.

Even with larger monitors, there's still a certain amount of space required on the sides for the forum interface, so a good rule of thumb that's worked well is to resize to a maximum width of 800 pixels wide.

This is 800 pixels wide...

Post #3 in the below thread touches on the topic of picture width when working on discussion forums...

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles-discussion-forums/21320-how-work-pictures-discussion-forums.html)

:)

Some feedback as to what 800 pixels wide looks like on a 22'' monitor:
http://i.imgur.com/6lE8f.jpg

Mike - would AG be willing to share the breakdown of monitor sizes for people who visit the website? I see you are using Google Analytics, so this information is available.

Now you have me wondering if my beautiful pictures are alienating more people than I was expecting ....

Audi X2
07-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Dual 17" at work, 27" at home or my iPad.

LegacyGT
07-14-2011, 08:40 AM
I have an additional question to add on to Corey's ... How many people use the options to change how posts are displayed?

I personally find that expanding the number of posts per page to 30, disabling the picture re-sizing and sorting by newest first give me a better browsing experience. These options are accessible if you click on 'quick links' and edit options. Also disabling auto-subscriptions and instant notification got my email load back under control.

http://i.imgur.com/95rRr.jpg

DLB
07-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I think resolution would matter more than monitor size really, right?

Anyhow, dual 22" W/S, 17", or Moto Droid.

I think the 800 pixel wide is a pretty good size. The only reason I went smaller on my recent interior post is because I knew it would be picture heavy and that's a lot of those little resize tabs to look at. Plus the pics didn't NEED to be any bigger really.

Bill - I use the number of posts per page, but let it resize images. If I want to see bigger, I'll click, but I like the compacted view otherwise.

DLB

jay trader
07-14-2011, 08:43 AM
The more realestate the better.

Laptop w/17", with 22" external connected. (use for daytrading primarily)

Desktop w/dual 22". (use for AG browsing, email, and other personal uses)

When I'm mobile, HTC EVO 4G and iPad (although I'm about to grab an Android tablet and hand-down my iPad)

CEE DOG
07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the input so far guys!!

Tim, thanks for the compliment!! I appreciate that :)
Now that I'm putting faces to the members that would have to scroll left and right it bothers me even more! Ahhhh!

If you have a small monitor/low resolution, leave the resize pictures enabled, otherwise go into your preferences and turn it off for maximum picture awesomeness.

Bill, where are these preferences you speak of? Forum or Browser preferences?

Flannigan
07-14-2011, 08:45 AM
I have an additional question to add on to Corey's ... How many people use the options to change how posts are displayed?

I personally find that expanding the number of posts per page to 30, disabling the picture re-sizing and sorting by newest first give me a better browsing experience. These options are accessible if you click on 'quick links' and edit options. Also disabling auto-subscriptions and instant notification got my email load back under control.

http://i.imgur.com/95rRr.jpg
Thanks for the tip, just went and made some adjustments, much better now! :props: