PDA

View Full Version : quick detailer on trim and lights

lucky472
07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Is it ok if you use the quick detailer on all of the exterior parts of the car including vinyl trim, rubber, and head and tail lights? I like it on the car, but have been very careful on not allowing it on the other areas. Is it good, bad or wont make a difference

OCDetails
07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
It depends on what kind of QD you are using. If it is one like the normal burgundy Meguiar's bottle of QD then I don't see how it could hurt any of those things. It doesn't substitute for a good UV protectant on exterior trim, but if you are just getting dust off and bird bombs, then it won't kill the pieces. And it isn't as good as glass cleaner for headlights and such, but I've used it to get bugs and stuff off the headlights when I'm on road trips and don't have any glass cleaner handy.

If you are using one with waxes and stuff in it then I wouldn't suggest using it on the rubber and trim pieces. If you get overspray on it then fine, but I wouldn't deliberately spray the wiper cowl and window trim or anything like that. I don't know what damage it would cause, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Stick to the paint with products like that.

Meguiar's really needs to come up with a Quick Exterior Detailer like they have done with their wheel detailer and interior detailer. Something safe for all surfaces on the exterior so we don't have to worry about anything. Maybe the burgundy bottle is just such a QD, but it isn't really labeled as such. It would probably sell more QD if they did that.

lucky472
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
It depends on what kind of QD you are using. If it is one like the normal burgundy Meguiar's bottle of QD then I don't see how it could hurt any of those things. It doesn't substitute for a good UV protectant on exterior trim, but if you are just getting dust off and bird bombs, then it won't kill the pieces. And it isn't as good as glass cleaner for headlights and such, but I've used it to get bugs and stuff off the headlights when I'm on road trips and don't have any glass cleaner handy.

If you are using one with waxes and stuff in it then I wouldn't suggest using it on the rubber and trim pieces. If you get overspray on it then fine, but I wouldn't deliberately spray the wiper cowl and window trim or anything like that. I don't know what damage it would cause, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Stick to the paint with products like that.

Meguiar's really needs to come up with a Quick Exterior Detailer like they have done with their wheel detailer and interior detailer. Something safe for all surfaces on the exterior so we don't have to worry about anything. Maybe the burgundy bottle is just such a QD, but it isn't really labeled as such. It would probably sell more QD if they did that.

Thanks. It's actually the overspray that I'm talking about. I use red tropical mist, and spend too much time being careful with overspray. I just wanted to spray everything down real fast then wipe off without worry that it will stain my trim and rubber and gunk up the lights