PDA

View Full Version : New Jeep has Xzilon protectant on it - what to use from now on?

Pages : [1] 2 3

DHart
07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
My wife and I just bought a new Jeep Rubicon... mostly to tow behind our motorhome during our travel as photographers.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Jeep%20Wrangler%20Rubicon/P1020483.jpg

And, we got suckered into buying Xzilon paint protection on the Jeep. I'm sure it's a good sealant, but we paid way more than we needed to for a good sealant. Anyway, water under the bridge now, so... moving forward.

The finish is fantastic now, but pulling the Jeep behind a diesel pusher motorhome, I'm sure the paint is going to take a bit of a beating and I know I'm going to need to start using a protectant/sealant on a fairly regular basis.

With Xzilon protectant on it now, does it matter what we use on it in the future?

KneeDragr
07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Id probably just polish it off and use something that you know/understand how to use it. Or wait a year, it will probably be gone by then.

reality33
07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
From what I know about Xzilon is that is similar to other paint coating systems like Opti-coat. They say you do not have to re-apply it and that it is good for the term of the warranty but since it is just a surface coating, I am sure it has a certain life span.

I do know that with the product, you want to stay away from anything abrasive as this will remove the product. Carnauba is the only protectant recommended from Xzilon and since it is a warranty based product, I would adhere to their rules strictly.

Basically I would follow a proper washing schedule using a good soap, and then topping it with a wax every so often.

DHart
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. While the warranty is the major part of what one pays for when buying Xzilon on a new vehicle, I think I'm more interested in getting with a good paint coating system that I can keep up with than I am about rigidly adhering to Xzilon's requirements to maintain their warranty.

As you both say, the existing Xzilon protectant is going to wear out over time, say, perhaps a year or two... or less or more...

Discounting the Xzilon warranty... do you think there would be any risk to the paint finish to start using another sealant on the vehicle while Xzilon is still on it, such as Opti-Coat?

reality33
07-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Discounting the Xzilon warranty... do you think there would be any risk to the paint finish to start using another sealant on the vehicle while Xzilon is still on it, such as Opti-Coat?

Yes, as you would have to polish the car to remove the Xzilon before you could apply the Opti-coat as the paint needs to be bare before applying a surface coating like opti-coat and the others.

DHart
07-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes, as you would have to polish the car to remove the Xzilon before you could apply the Opti-coat as the paint needs to be bare before applying a surface coating like opti-coat and the others.

Dang. OK. Polishing off a product I just paid to put on isn't such a great idea. Plus, polishing a brand new car isn't such a great idea either, is it...

I guess the best thing to do is just let the Xzilon wear out on it's own and in the meantime apply simple waxes on it. I understand that carnuba is approved by Xzilon. Would it be safe to apply most any wax-based type product on top of the Xzilon?

reality33
07-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Dang. OK. Polishing off a product I just paid to put on isn't such a great idea. Plus, polishing a brand new car isn't such a great idea either, is it...

I guess the best thing to do is just let the Xzilon wear out on it's own and in the meantime apply simple waxes on it. I understand that carnuba is approved by Xzilon. Would it be safe to apply most any wax-based type product on top of the Xzilon?

I dont see why not, just make sure that the product does not contain any abrasives in it and you should be ok. Most of the carnauba waxes here at AG will suffice. The Xzilon is already a sealant, and that is most likely the reason why they say to use a Carnauba. Putting a sealant on top of a surface coating does not really have any merit to it.

Oh and polishing a new car is perfectly OK, I do it all the time :)

Belair
07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
... pulling the Jeep behind a diesel pusher motorhome, I'm sure the paint is going to take a bit of a beating...

To lessen the effects of the diesel soot & other crap from the road you could buy a car cover.

DHart
07-13-2011, 04:41 PM
To lessen the effects of the diesel soot & other crap from the road you could buy a car cover.

Yep... not a bad idea!

James K
07-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I would see if a clear bra is made for it, and if it would void the warranty.

Then seeing as you can use a carnauba wax, I would put some Collinite 845IW on it. Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

ScottB
07-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Xzillion is not a coating to my knowledge, simply a paint sealant. It does offer a warranty that matches the standard paint warranty on most cars, meaning complete profit. Dont believe the hype .. do it yourself !!

DHart
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
The Collinite 845W sounds like a good product to use over the Xzilon. Easy to apply and very effective.

I have not delusions of expecting the Xzilon to be anything other than a paint sealant. As such, I'm sure it's an effective and good quality sealant with a limited life of service.

Now that it's on the car, I will get what life I can out of it. When it's time is up (3 months, 6 months,1 year, 2 years? who knows), I can apply more myself or switch to another paint sealant system.

In the meantime it looks like the best course is to keep treatments of Collinite 845 or Souverän Liquid Carnauba Wax on it until such time as a new sealant application is needed.

If that doesn't seem to be protecting the front of the Jeep enough while pulling it behind the motorhome, I'll look into a cover or clear bra as well.

You guys have been so helpful! Many thanks.

Is it pretty certain that I cannot begin applying a different brand of paint sealant on TOP of the existing Xzilon sealant?

Rsurfer
07-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Is it pretty certain that I cannot begin applying a different brand of paint sealant on TOP of the existing Xzilon sealant?
This is your comment: "The Collinite 845W sounds like a good product to use over the Xzilon. Easy to apply and very effective."

Yes, you can apply it now.

"If that doesn't seem to be protecting the front of the Jeep enough while pulling it behind the motorhome, I'll look into a cover or clear bra as well."

I would skip that idea as the jeep is being towed and well protected plus a car cover will do more damage from the wind than good. BTW congrats on your new jeep and I envey both of you. :xyxthumbs: Are both of you pro photographers?

DHart
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Rsurfer... I am a pro photographer and my wife is a graphic artist.

Now I have to decide what to do about a paint protection scheme on the 41' motorhome, which has full body paint...

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Gulf%20Stream%20Atrium/P1000809.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Gulf%20Stream%20Atrium/P1010067.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Jeep%20Wrangler%20Rubicon/P1020480.jpg

Rsurfer
07-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Outstanding, are the graphics OEM or something your wife did? Are the graphics painted or vinyl? It may be worth your time and money to get that beast coated.