PDA

View Full Version : Thick or thin MF for QD & spray sealants

newb001
07-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Am I better off using an average thickness MF towel or a super plush MF towel (assuming all other qualities are the same) when applying and buffing QDs, spray sealants, etc... In particular what should I use for:

Reload
Optimum Instant Detailer
FK425

Or does it not really make that much of a different?

I've always been under the impression that a thicker towel is somehow safer on the paint than a thinner one, but that a thinner towel is actually better for QD and spray sealant/wax, etc... And that a thicker one is better for something like ONR or Opti Clean (and maybe the QD)? I just keep reading so many different opinions...

Thanks!

KneeDragr
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I would think super plush so it absorbs excess liquid as well as buffs. The thin one will likely get all soggy pretty fast.

silverfox
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I use both...one to apply (non plush), and one as a final wipe (plush one)

BobbyG
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I use both...one to apply (non plush), and one as a final wipe (plush one)

Nuff said! :props:

newb001
07-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Great, thanks!

ShaunD
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
What I normal do is use a plush towel(380-600g/m2) and rub the spray-on product into the paint with the shorter nap/fiber side of the MF and then buff the product off with the plusher side. If you are going for a safer application approach with say an in-between washes product, then use the plush side to apply and the shorter nap to buff, or just stick with two separate plush towels to be even safer. But, yes a plusher towel is recommended to hold up to all the moisture and give you extra protection from any loose particles scratching.:)

newb001
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I wanted to hijack my own thread a bit and ask about waterless washes (i.e. Optimum Opti Clean) and what type of MF you use and how much product you use?

I ask because I washed my car this weekend but as always, water leaked out of the sideview mirrors, gas cap area, etc... and I had some spots on my hood.

So the next day I figured I would go over those areas with some OptiClean and clean up the water spots. Some light dust had also accumulated so I wanted to use enough product to ensure that I didn't cause any swirls. However, when thoroughly spraying the area, I find it very difficult to dry. I used a very plush MF towel folded into 4 sections. I did one pass with each section of towel and my car was still wet/severely streaked. A second MF towel finally did the job, but I had to use more pressure than I would have liked.

Car had been garaged all night and was cool to the touch (though it was 80 degrees in the garage).

I later drove out and after parking in the sun noticed incredible streaking where I guess I didn't in fact remove all the product.

Thanks for any suggestions.

p.s. I did very similar (similar size area and amount of product) to what was done here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwvbtEMmT8]‪Mike Phillips demonstrates Optimum's New Opti-Clean Waterless Wash‬‏ - YouTube[/video] at about the 28 second mark. I did not wipe in a circular motion though (to reduce any swirls), instead I went side to side. Maybe I was being too cautious and wiping too gently?