PDA

View Full Version : Sealant setting time

jbrown287
07-12-2011, 01:45 AM
I have been looking at some sealants to put on my car. I like the length of durability you get from a sealant but I don't have anywhere to let it set for 12 hours. Is there anything out there that gives you the length of durability of a sealant without the 12 hour wait time?

WRAPT C5Z06
07-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I have been looking at some sealants to put on my car. I like the length of durability you get from a sealant but I don't have anywhere to let it set for 12 hours. Is there anything out there that gives you the length of durability of a sealant without the 12 hour wait time?
Duragloss 105 or 111 mixed 4:1 with Duragloss 601. The sealant will cure within minutes. These are both very durable sealants, too.

jbrown287
07-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Does it give a pretty good shine like pics of other sealants I've seen? I was thinking about rejex but the 12 hour thing is killing me.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Does it give a pretty good shine like pics of other sealants I've seen? I was thinking about rejex but the 12 hour thing is killing me.
Yes, they both give a nice look.

john b
07-12-2011, 02:28 AM
you can let your car sit outside for that 12 hours-just check the weather to make sure there wont be any rain

flyinion
07-12-2011, 03:43 AM
you can let your car sit outside for that 12 hours-just check the weather to make sure there wont be any rain
Or dew as well. Summer should hopefully be a good time to avoid that, though I don't know how humid areas would play in. Of course that's assuming you do it in the afternoon/evening and are letting it sit overnight. In the summer if you put the stuff on early in the morning 8-9am, you should be good if you can get away with not taking the car anywhere for 12 hours.

john b
07-12-2011, 04:03 AM
some people will put the sealeant on and not take it off till after the 12 hours and then whip off

jbrown287
07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
I thought about just letting it sit out over night but it is pretty humid here ad I would hate for it to mess something up. Does anyone have a suggestion for a wax that has around the same durability as the sealant?

HeavyMetal
07-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Just because a sealant has a recommended full-cure time of 12 hrs doesn't mean you can't drive it. It's not like the coating is gonna fly off as you drive down the road. The full-cure time is mfg recommendation to fully cross-link for re-coat and before getting it wet. And, like Mark said, you can always go with an accelerated product like DG, or even one of the new "super coatings" like CQ or OC.

Also be aware that mfg recommendations tend to be very conservative. Mfgs use recommends to dissaude people from abusing the product and application. Sealants are probably pretty well cured in half the time stated by the mfg. I've had my car get hit by a sudden thuderstorm like 4-5 hours after application with no ill effects.

HeavyMetal
07-12-2011, 06:37 AM
I thought about just letting it sit out over night but it is pretty humid here ad I would hate for it to mess something up. Does anyone have a suggestion for a wax that has around the same durability as the sealant?

Collinite 845. It's a polymer-carnuba hybrid. Very nice stuff. But... I do think you're being overly concerned over nothing.

jbrown287
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Collinite 845. It's a polymer-carnuba hybrid. Very nice stuff. But... I do think you're being overly concerned over nothing.

I probably am.....mystery of the unknown deal.

richy
07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Duragloss 105 or 111 mixed 4:1 with Duragloss 601. The sealant will cure within minutes. These are both very durable sealants, too.

Mark is absolutely right in this regard. In fact, it was me who introduced this idea to this forum over a year ago. One of the makers of Duragloss recommended to me personally that I try it and it works great. Be advised however that the mixture will congeal. Mix up only what you need. I get cheap, plastic ketchup bottles at the dollar store and use them. The mixture will not go bad, but it will thicken. It's not a big deal actually, but just wanted to make you aware. You can go around the car with the mixture, and then by the time you're done, you're ready to remove it and can instantly top it with whatever you want. I personally top it with Colli 845. Just do a swipe test with your finger to make sure it's dry. Hope that helps.

01GreyStangGT
07-12-2011, 08:54 PM
How about BFWD with Polycharger? Isn't Polycharger supposed to greatly reduce the cure time?

CEE DOG
07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Just because a sealant has a recommended full-cure time of 12 hrs doesn't mean you can't drive it. It's not like the coating is gonna fly off as you drive down the road. The full-cure time is mfg recommendation to fully cross-link for re-coat and before getting it wet.

To continue with this point Ultima actually makes a point that after you apply UPGP and then wait 1 hour you can drive off. Driving (air friction) actually accelerates the curing of the sealant (which is of course logical)