PDA

View Full Version : Using ONR, what wash media?

Pages : [1] 2

flyinion
07-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Just got my order of ONR in and want to make sure that I use it properly when I use it as an actual NR wash. I normally use a microfiber wash mit similar in design to the cobra ones when I do a full rinse, wash, rinse thing but I know the ONR instructions say to use a MF towel. Is that the way to go or is it ok to use the mit? If I use a towel, do I wring it out at all or just put it in the bucket, pull it out, and go?

Oh, guess I have one more question about ONR itself. I assume it's safe to wash the windows and wheels/tires with it?

S2K
07-11-2011, 09:08 PM
I use a Proline grout sponge and don't wring, I use plenty of solution. It's safe for anything but I clean my glass with Stoners IG but do wash my wheels with the rinseless but with an old microfiber.

embolism
07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I just washed my car tonight in the garage using DP wash and gloss. Took 45 minutes from prep to cleanup. Figured I'd practice for this winter and try out the new wash media I made.

Guess I should elaborate. I picked up this foam sponge for $1.19 at the corner store with the intention of slicing it up like the LC blue sponge. Used a serrated knife and it turned out pretty good. Here's a pic:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/sponge.jpg

used 2 gallons of water and 1 oz of W&G and a second bucket for rinsing. Used a total of 4 MF for drying (1 for the front, 1 for each side including the roof, and 1 for the back) and Lucas slick mist as a drying aid.

Started on the roof and pillars, then treated the tops of both doors on one side as a panel. Moved to the other side and did the same. Then did the hood and front, hit the bottom of the sides, then saved the trunk and back area for last.

Did not dry the windows until all the paint (for that towel) was dry, then used the first side MF towel as my glass towel for drying the sunroof, windshield, etc...

Turned out great and was super easy. I haven't looked at it in the sunlight yet but I intend to check it for marring tomorrow. I think I need to fashion a clip to my belt or something b/c I was finding I needed to shove the drying MF in my pocket while I moved to the next panel...

I was a little worried looking at the sudsless water and how 1 oz of product seemed to hardly change the water apart from making it faint pink but the stuff works. My rinse water was dirty gray afterwards. The sponge worked much better than my chenille caterpillar sponge, or a MF imo.

Hope this helps.

S2K
07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Good idea on the sponge, I'm going to try that with one of my grout sponges. Washing in the garage is great, down here the sun is so hot right now even a rinseless is hard to dry before the sun gets to it.

flyinion
07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info guys. @ the sponge, assuming that's what you're checking for marring from, but either way.......with a silver car it's hard enough for me to even catch swirls let alone marring lol. I guess in some ways light colors make things easier. In some ways (like which Wolfgang twin to use) it makes it harder.

dougaross
07-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Good idea on the sponge, I'm going to try that with one of my grout sponges. Washing in the garage is great, down here the sun is so hot right now even a rinseless is hard to dry before the sun gets to it.

I have done the same with grout sponge. Works very well

embolism
07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
not my idea actually, read about it on here.

Just made a water sheeter from an old piece of black hose which i read about on here too (now I need to order a male quick connect for it).

This place is a gold mine of ideas...

sal329
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I want to get the Opti Mit but I have been using a Proline Grout sponge for years

Garry Dean
07-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I like to use 2 microfiber towels as the directions recommend. It seems to work better for me this way.

dougaross
07-12-2011, 07:44 AM
I want to get the Opti Mit but I have been using a Proline Grout sponge for years

I have one. I don't think it works any better that LC sponge or grout sponge. I do use it for horizontal surfaces - that's when it works the best IMO

HeavyMetal
07-12-2011, 07:51 AM
I've used both a mf chennile mitt and mf towels. Didn't notice any diff. Use what you like. I do love the NR washes. I did my RAV4 last nite in 30 min. My wife did her ES350 the nite before in around 20. Wash a panel, dry with mf drying towel, repeat, done. Cuts out rinsing, uses less water, saves time, leaves a great shine. What's not to like?

embolism
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
so I just checked my car in the sun this morning. Yikes!

Let's just say I need to incorporate a final wipe into my ONR process. I was actually kinda embarassed on the drive in to work this morning...

Twister
07-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I don't use ONR much but I did use it over the weekend on my mom's car. I used my Eurow sheepskin mitt. For wheels I used my old mf wash mitt. It worked fine but I always feel strange using ONR, like I'm going against everything I know

BobbyG
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I use wool mitts or pads allot. I find that they're super soft and retain generous amounts of solution. They also help keeping the surface wet therefore allowing contaminates to flow harmlessly off the paint. :props:

kkreit01
07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I've used MF towels, HD grout sponge, and MF mits. It's hard to say which is my favorite? They all work. MF appears to be less evasive? Whatever you chose, it WILL get filthy. Thus, pick something inexpensive.