PDA

View Full Version : Some insight needed with Ultima Trim & Tire Guard

Rez90
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I've realized that this product isn't like the other trim and tire dressings i've used in the past. Considering the cost of the product and the fact that i haven't used it before i'd like a little help with how and how much to use of this product on tires specifically.

I figure before i go and use half the bottle on my jeep's tires this afternoon i'd ask for a few tips from the people who use and love this stuff.

Thanks very much :xyxthumbs:

CEE DOG
07-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Start with very little as in a few drops. Apply that until you see you need some more and add a few more drops. Repeat until the tire has an even coat. It should not look greasy. See the second video on this thread. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/37964-review-wolfgang-exterior-trim-sealant.html

Heres the video I'm talking about (copied from my review): You could actually get by with less product than what I used.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCzdvh4-Ss]YouTube - ‪2-Tire- WG vs UTTG.wmv‬‏[/video]

Rez90
07-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks very much!

BobbyG
07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
You don't use much of it at all.

Begin by placing a few drops of the product on a foam pad and wipe on the tire. You'll be able to gage just how much you'll use by the absorption rate of the rubber and the desired look.

Wear gloves...........

HeavyMetal
07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Like Corey and Bobby said, use VERY little. In fact, my experience is at first if you think you're using too little, you're probably using too much. I use a regular yellow foam applicator - I don't like the huge sponge that it comes with. I put 3 - 4 DROPS near the edge of the pad and that will typically do a tire. You'll be amazed at how little you need and how long it lasts. :dblthumb2:

Also like Bobby said, WEAR GLOVES. UTTG will bond to your fingers and it is a bear to get off, and it does have a solvent.

rockford33
07-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I had the same qustion, but maybe with a twist. My wife's car tires are ridged all the way around (unlike Corey's which were smooth), which I have always found to be a PITA to apply dressings to with an applicator. For that reason, I usually prefer spray dresssing as it can get into the grooves with minimal puddling.

Is it advisable (the consistency is liquid enough) to spray UTTG onto a tire, or would that most likely use too much product, given that a few drops goes a long way? Given the cost, I want to use my UTTG as economically as possible and not waste any. I currently use Opti-Bond gel diluted 1:1 and spray through a Preval portable sprayer I picked up from HD. Not bad, but I like the idea of more longevity between applications that the UTTG would provide.

Thanks,
Neil

HeavyMetal
07-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I had the same qustion, but maybe with a twist. My wife's car tires are ridged all the way around (unlike Corey's which were smooth), which I have always found to be a PITA to apply dressings to with an applicator.

Mine are ridged too. Use a terry-cloth covered applicator. You can wipe with and against the grooves. You'll use a little more product than a plain foam one, but not all that much.

rockford33
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Mine are ridged too. Use a terry-cloth covered applicator. You can wipe with and against the grooves. You'll use a little more product than a plain foam one, but not all that much.

I'll have to give that a try, as soon as I find some terry covered applicators! Seems like everywhere around my neck of the woods (Target, Advanced Auto, etc.) only carries microfiber applicators now. Went searching for some terry ones to use of the wife's interior leather and found 1 package at Advanced (and it still came with a microfiber applicator as well!). Never see the yellow foam wax applicators anymore either....

I might get the WG applicator that Nick (I think) used for his WETS introduction and try wiping it into the grooves. Always seems to be messy with the grooved sidewalls. Glad my car's tires has smooth sidewalls now.

Thanks,
Neil

BobbyG
07-11-2011, 11:56 AM
For ridges and grooves I switch back and forth with a brush and foam pad. I'll wipe the product "with" the grooves helping it fill all the pores and crevices. It's not all that hard and you won't use much more product over a smooth surface.

Here's what I contend with:

Truck

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/1999%20Dakota/Wheel.jpg

Z06 Corvette

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1209/medium/Rear_Wheel_011.jpg

rockford33
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe I gave up too easily before with my ridged tires and always went with spray on tire dressings. I'll have to give it another go with these new "super" dressings since such a little goes a long way and spraying seems like it would use more product then necessary.

Or maybe I'll just use UTTG on my tires and finish up my stock of Opti-Bond on the wife's car.... she doesn't care how the tires look anyway, lol.

-Neil

kronos
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
... spraying seems like it would use more product then necessary.

That depends what kind of sprayer you're using. If you use a setup similar to Jimmyjam's, (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/32429-optimum-spray-gun-review-video.html) you wouldn't use that much product and you'd end up with uniform coverage.

rockford33
07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I might try it with the Preval sprayer to see how much product it uses (it has measurements on the side). My air compressor is indisposed of right now until I get around to cleaning up the garage and can actually access it and move it around to where I need it....

-Neil

HeavyMetal
07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I'll have to give that a try, as soon as I find some terry covered applicators! Seems like everywhere around my neck of the woods (Target, Advanced Auto, etc.) only carries microfiber applicators now...

Then just use a piece of old bath or dish towel.