PDA

View Full Version : I have a couple questions

shoeless89
07-10-2011, 10:16 PM
So I have a couple questions. 1) I drive a 2007 Corolla and it has some pretty bad road rash from rocks in the front. Could I apply Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 even though I have some less then perfect areas? 2) And there are a few scratches here and there, if I apply Opti will it be sealing them in permanently?

Second topic:
I'm detailing my step dad's F-150 wednesday and its swirl city. I explained the difference between sealants and natural waxes to him and he would like the sealant. But I was wondering if I could better off with a cleaner wax or all-in-one product to help clear up the paint at least a little. I'm charging him but not much because they help me out with a lot of things, so but I have no idea how much because of all they do for me. I was thinking $120ish? Also his truck is navy blue and I was thinking of also applying a glaze, do you think it would have enough of an effect to be worth it? One more thing, his tail pipes have some rust on them, what are some good ways I can remove some of the rust or at least make them look a little better.

I know theres a lot there, thanks for any input :)

JonMiles
07-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I was thinking $120ish? Also his truck is navy blue and I was thinking of also applying a glaze, do you think it would have enough of an effect to be worth it?

I know theres a lot there, thanks for any input :)

IMO Dad's should always get a free detail. They made it possible for you to be here and detailing in the first place, the least you can do is keep their car clean when you can.

If you are using a sealant, you would be best not to use a glaze. Oils and polymers don't bond well. A natural wax is just an oil in solid state, and as the saying in general chemistry goes "like dissolves like" and thus they would be able to mesh pretty well together.

You may be better off taking the one step approach to his car though. Have you looked at XMT 360 or Megs D151? Both will eliminate some swirls and have some durability to withstand the elements.

Also, as far as exhaust tips go, if they are rusted you would be better off eliminating the rust with a rust remover and then recoating them. Are they chrome or some other color? Exhaust tips are pretty cheap overall and if you decide to charge your Dad anything, let it be for some new tips.

Good luck with your projects and post pics along the way.

:dblthumb2:

bigaizsosexy
07-10-2011, 11:00 PM
IMO, since you say it is "Swirl City" I would use a less abrasive polish to refine the swirls first, then apply the wax or sealant of your choice. XMT Line up has never let me down stages 1-4. An alternate route is Megs Ultimate Compound if the swirls are that bad, it can be purchased at your local auto store.

DO you have products on hand, and if so which ones?

Andrew

shoeless89
07-11-2011, 12:17 AM
I have Megs UC, Megs Ultimate Polish, PC7424XP, cleaner wax, pretty much a little of everything. My next purchase is for a little bit more 'professional' compounds and polishes. I really want some M105 and M205. I've heard good things about both XMT360 and D151 but since I haven't used either so I kind of opinion-less on them. And he has strait pipes on it so tips are kind of out of the question :(

And as far as the dad thing does, they brought it up so I'll have some extra $ for my trip to San Francisco next week :)

row011
07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I have Megs UC, Megs Ultimate Polish, PC7424XP, cleaner wax, pretty much a little of everything. My next purchase is for a little bit more 'professional' compounds and polishes. I really want some M105 and M205. I've heard good things about both XMT360 and D151 but since I haven't used either so I kind of opinion-less on them. And he has strait pipes on it so tips are kind of out of the question :(

And as far as the dad thing does, they brought it up so I'll have some extra $ for my trip to San Francisco next week :)

Ill be giving the Meguiars MF pad cutting & polishing system a go with the M105 + M205 everyone says its a great system. Cant recommend it as yet because I haven't tried it but Im sure you would be happy with these product combos.

RTexasF
07-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Your questions lead me to believe you are quite new to detailing with little experience. That's fine of course but charging Dad is not. Frisco or bust just do with less and take care of Pop's ride to the best of your ability.......FOR FREE.

bigaizsosexy
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Try the UC with a light white cutting pad, and if that doesn't do the truck move up to a more aggressive pad...(organge) Be sure to mist the pad with some QD for Lubrication.

As far as the father paying for the detail....that's your choice

shoeless89
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Ok so for one its my step-dad, and I have done his car for free. BUT since I'm going on a trip he said "do you wanna detail my car and I'll give you some extra money for vacation" So its not like I'm telling him to pay me or I'm not doing it. Either way I'm doing it. Now I feel like a a$*hole :'( and I'm not brand new to detailing I've been doing my car and my family's cars for about a year and just started doing other peoples cars from referral's. I just have never had to remove rust, I didn't know the dynamics of Opti-coat, and I like getting your guys opinion on things, because I'm always up for learning new things :)

bigaizsosexy
07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Shawn,

I understand what you're saying. Are you referencing Opt Coat 2.0?

shoeless89
07-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes I am