PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust coating or no?

embolism
07-09-2011, 09:26 PM
So both my mufflers have this black coating on the face that can be seen by stooping down behind the car. I've previously sprayed 4:1 zep citrus on them and powerwashed but it didn't do anything so I thought it was a coating of some sort and left them alone.

Just saw the RSX detail however and that exhaust is nice and shiney! Can mine look like that or do you think it really is a coating as opposed to really caked on greasy crud...

If nice and shiney is possible what should I use?

I haven't undercoated anything but not sure about previous owner.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/HPIM0615.JPG

pls excuse the finish, haven't washed for going on 3 weeks now and it's supposed to rain Monday so guess I'm not washing tomorrow either... haha

Kristopher1129
07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
It's tough to say. But it would be kind of unusual if that was just dirty IMO. It looks to be coated. Just a guess though.

S2K
07-09-2011, 10:03 PM
That RSX muffler has an aluminized coating on it like a lot of mufflers so they don't rust so easily. Yours look to be painted. Mine are the same way, painted.

James K
07-09-2011, 10:09 PM
It is possible that the RSX had an aftermarket exhaust.

dchristo
07-09-2011, 10:52 PM
they look to be painted.....you can re paint them, the same or different color....just be sure to use high heat paint

jjkacz
07-09-2011, 11:39 PM
It appears to be the factory coating. You will find that some car companies do this to make the exhaust blend in more. A simple re-paint with high temp paint will do the trick.

mg6045
07-10-2011, 09:52 AM
If its a black chrome coating it can be treated with any metal polish.

I find collonite Metal Wax to be the most effective product on specifically exhaust tips. It will remove all the black dots as well as polish the metal, and put a heavy coat of protection.

with the collonite you can kill 2 birds with one stone. Normally you would have to use a tar remover first to get all the black dots off the exhaust. then polish/protect. Metal wax will do all of that , and with ease.

I dont see the collonite metal wax being spoke a lot about, but its in a league of its own , easily, when it comes to exhaust application.

s brewer
07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
What you have is a factory exhuast, what you saw was an aftermarket exhuast. Very very few companys put stainless steel exhuast on cars factory. If you want "chrome/shiny" then buy an aftermarket exhuast. If you just want clean, use a satin rustoleum paint. will help preserve and keep clean easier.