PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first rotary.. Need help

Pages : [1] 2

Plan b Detail
07-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I have been detailing for a while now but just using my random orbital Porter Cable. Do you think I can handle a rotary and hoe hard is it to use? Also what kind should I begin with?

Dr Oldz
07-09-2011, 08:02 PM
do you think i can handle a rotary

only you can answer that!

ScottB
07-09-2011, 09:17 PM
New Flex or Dewalt are obvious choices ...

Kristopher1129
07-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Anyone can handle a rotary with proper teaching. Get one, you'll enjoy the learning experience first, and then enjoy the benefits to owning a rotary. Fortunately...folks around here are pretty generous when it comes to helping out. Drop a thread asking for some tips, and I'm sure you'll get them. :dblthumb2:

If you ask me...I love the Makita. I also hear great things about the Flex. I'll be buying a Flex at some point myself. I currently have two Makitas and swear by them.

Kaleb G.
07-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I just recently started using a rotary, but its a lot of fun so far. I wouldn't go to a job without my pcxp, but I finished the hood on the last car I did with my makita and couldn't have been happier with the results.

embolism
07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
how come these rotaries are so pricey, don't they just spin? It's not like they spin and jiggle so they should be cheaper than a DA imo...

master detailer
07-09-2011, 09:59 PM
makita I have 3 of them and parts are easy to get . Dewalts had 2 but they just didnt last for me.But 90% of my work is on boats and they run 8 hrs a day every day so I am hard on buffers. one day soon I will get the flexs to give them a try.rotary flex for the lb dif an a da for the drive over my pc da the pc da was good for my frist da for cars but I am not liking the power any more. use it to clean carpet now only.

Jimmie
07-09-2011, 10:14 PM
+1 for the Makita, plus what master detailer said about easy to get parts.
Makita 9227C 7 inch Circular Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/ma927po.html)

A rotary goes well with your PC. I still use the PC for AIO's, and LSP's. The rotary for polishes that need to break down.

93fox
07-10-2011, 02:07 AM
how come these rotaries are so pricey, don't they just spin? It's not like they spin and jiggle so they should be cheaper than a DA imo...

They correct faster than any DA... with the right combo you can correct a lot faster if you know how to use it. If you correctly know how to use it, you can produce the finish a DA only dreamed of producing. Jeweling with a rotary is just unbeatable. Correct me if im wrong, but im guessing you dont own a rotary.

93fox
07-10-2011, 02:18 AM
I have been detailing for a while now but just using my random orbital Porter Cable. Do you think I can handle a rotary and hoe hard is it to use? Also what kind should I begin with?

+1 on the Makita. I own the makita and it is just great. It isnt heavy and is quiet. Its a really nice machine and well built all around. I say go with the makita, and get the feel of a rotary. practice with it a lot and just get to know how to work it. it isnt like a DA that you can pull out of the box and get good results. you have to learn to how get good results with the rotary, but once you do, you'll rarely reach for your DA. Once you get the feel of the rotary, you can save up and get a Flex. :xyxthumbs:

MTR
07-10-2011, 03:16 AM
My voice goes to new Flex , man this thing is a beast , very very light to handle , my old rotary was from Festool and he is great to but heavy , got lot of stress on hands .
All 3 steps : compound , polish and hologram remove i do with rotary in 50 % less time then DA and i use about 60 % less products .

embolism
07-10-2011, 08:41 AM
They correct faster than any DA... with the right combo you can correct a lot faster if you know how to use it. If you correctly know how to use it, you can produce the finish a DA only dreamed of producing. Jeweling with a rotary is just unbeatable. Correct me if im wrong, but im guessing you dont own a rotary.

you would be correct sir!

Jhaight11
07-10-2011, 08:49 AM
bigger motor.....

Plan b Detail
07-10-2011, 04:47 PM
I have heard great things about the flex and that's what I'm leaning towards. How should I handle that differently than just any random orbital?

Rsurfer
07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I have heard great things about the flex and that's what I'm leaning towards. How should I handle that differently than just any random orbital?
Are you now leaning towards the Flex DA?