PDA

View Full Version : Can Megs MF system be used on a Re-Clear

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I've got a detail set up for next month...beautiful black 2010 Camaro SS. It is swirled all to hell...but they are VERY light..just everywhere (owner thinks it is from using a duster at car shows since he never really drives it...i think he's right).

Here is the thing..it is a reclear. I had planned on using Meg MF compound and pad...then follow up with 205 and a white pad and then top with Pinnacle Souvenir wax. The owner wrote me today though saying he read somewhere on MOL that using megs MF system on a re-clear is a bad idea. I asked him to send me the link just a few minutes ago, but while i wait i figured I'd ask here and see if anyone here has any experience w/this type of situation.

I KINDA figured it to be like the situation on whether or not you can use the MF system with the flex 3401...some people say hell no...some people swear by it and have pics to back it up...but again, id like some input. soooo Feed back please

James K
07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Here is my experience. I have used the DAMF system on mulitple repaints, both partial and full. This includes both of my personal vehicles. I have had no adverse effects. It worked very well. I think this is more of Mequiars using the CYA approach. They do not want to be held even partially responsible for someone damaging their custom paint. Also with the wide variety of repaints done, they can not say how well the work was done. On a factory car at least their is some consistency across the board with the manufacturer.

That is simply my take. Use it how you feel.

Jhaight11
07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I dont see why not. it may not finish as well as oem clear but some body/custom shop clears will harden more then oem. i might have to do some testing and reclear an old scrap panel and see how it comes out.

CrownKote
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Wills,

have used the DAMFS on many re-clears... Actually the first one that I used it on was a re-clear and it has worked very well the only re-clear/re-paint that it didn't work well on was a Hyundai that was re-painted by Maaco and they were forewarned...

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Wills,

have used the DAMFS on many re-clears... Actually the first one that I used it on was a re-clear and it has worked very well the only re-clear/re-paint that it didn't work well on was a Hyundai that was re-painted by Maaco and they were forewarned...

lol well Maaco is Maaco....I didn't think there would be a problem but i just want as much input as i can get

C. Charles Hahn
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Personally my thought is I wouldn't use it on a *fresh* repaint, but one that has cured for 60-90 days or so i'd be fine with it.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Personally my thought is I wouldn't use it on a *fresh* repaint, but one that has cured for 60-90 days or so i'd be fine with it.

ah, well this is well over that time limit :props: