PDA

View Full Version : Most durable liquid waxes/sealants?

Pages : [1] 2

Kaban
07-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi guys,

are there any waxes or sealants that last longer then Collinite 845?

I have been using 476S (paste wax) and I love its durability, but I hate applying it and removing it because it is so difficult. However, I love working with 845 but to my knowledge it's not as durable as 476.

So,

Is there anything out there that is stronger than 845 and is just as easy to work with? Not looking at any products that cost more than $50-60.

silverfox
07-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Long story short.....NO. Only a coating lasts longer.

mcpp66
07-09-2011, 10:56 AM
What about the Klasse twins? They boast a durability of up to one year.

weavers
07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
If you want long term durability then go with a coating like opti-coat 2.0 or cquartz. Its bascially another layer of clear coat with UV protection and they last years, some post have said up to 5 years. both of these products are in the 60 dollar range. It may be perfect for you. They say you can do 1-2 cars with opti coat, sometimes 3 small cars.

For liquid waxes and sealants I use 3m performance finish and collnite 845. Both claim 6 months of protection. The shine on 3m does last for 10 months or so. The are my go to last step products.

Honestly just wax the car every 3-4 months or with every oil change. It takes what an extra 30mins, maybe an hour after you wash the car. Just clay, ipa wipe down, spread and buff off. Lots of people on auto geek wax every month and spend 100s of dollars on wax...I dunno why.

Dubbin1
07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi guys,

are there any waxes or sealants that last longer then Collinite 845?

I have been using 476S (paste wax) and I love its durability, but I hate applying it and removing it because it is so difficult. However, I love working with 845 but to my knowledge it's not as durable as 476.

So,

Is there anything out there that is stronger than 845 and is just as easy to work with? Not looking at any products that cost more than $50-60.

Both Opti-Seal and UPGP will hold their own against 845, plus they are much faster and easier to apply.

Dr Oldz
07-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Both Opti-Seal and UPGP will hold their own against 845, plus they are much faster and easier to apply.

I can't comment on Opti-seal but UPGP is a definate contender with 845. And very easy to use( no wipe off)

PA DETAILER
07-09-2011, 12:35 PM
still amazed how well the 845 holds up. and i am parked outside 24/7.

rwright
07-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Try a 4:1 mix of Duragloss 105 & 601. Mine lasted through road salt in Winter and touchless car washes, still kicking too :).

Sent using Tapatalk

MI Mike
07-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Duragloss rules. My next goto when not using Collinite.

BobbyG
07-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Even though Collinite 845 is once of the best, longest lasting products out there, and which I'm very fond of, Ultima Paint Guard Plus in my opinion might be a step up in performance and durability.....Boy did that hurt! :awman:

The first time I applied Ultima Paint Guard Plus I was really amazed. It was more like an actual coating then an invisible, unmeasurable layer of wax. It is expensive when compared to some sealants and waxes but it goes a long way and lasts...

I'm still not giving up my dear friend Collinite through.......:props:

Dubbin1
07-09-2011, 04:10 PM
The first time I applied Ultima Paint Guard Plus I was really amazed. It was more like an actual coating then an invisible, unmeasurable layer of wax. It is expensive when compared to some sealants and waxes but it goes a long way and lasts...

The same can be said of Opti-Seal

I'm still not giving up my dear friend Collinite through.......

Not sure why you wouldn't give up on it when you yourself said UPGP is better. In my test 845 didn't have anything for UPGP and Opti-Seal. As a matter of fact I just wasn't impressed at all with 845 in any category with the other two.

jbgrant
07-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Even though Collinite 845 is once of the best, longest lasting products out there, and which I'm very fond of, Ultima Paint Guard Plus in my opinion might be a step up in performance and durability.....Boy did that hurt! :awman:

I'm still not giving up my dear friend Collinite through.......:props:

I've been using Ultima Paint Guard Plus since January on 6 vehicles. Durability is good, but IMO not up to a really tough wax like Collinite 845. However, that really doesn't matter because the beauty of WOWA products like UPGP is that you can reapply them after a wash in just minutes with virtually no chance of paint damage compared to traditional wax process. I check my applicator every minute or so to make sure no grit has been picked up that was missed during the wash process, and in 10-12 minutes I'm done. Based on my experiences, the viable life of UPGP on a daily driver in Indiana is about two months, after that it's not slick and doesn't wash up as nicely. Preparation is key, no mixing products if you want to have success with UPGP. I feel like 845 offers about twice the durability of UPGP. On wheels and trim, UTTG is unmatchable in durability and coverage; but, UPGP does not have the film strengh/adhesion of the UTTG. As for sealants, I have found klasse twins (and others) clearly outlast UPGP. Still, an extremely good product and it's actually a great value. I should get about 60-70 complete applications on my first 12 ounce bottle which was $32 on sale.

BobbyG
07-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Not sure why you wouldn't give up on it when you yourself said UPGP is better. In my test 845 didn't have anything for UPGP and Opti-Seal. As a matter of fact I just wasn't impressed at all with 845 in any category with the other two.

I really enjoy using new products and when I saw how easy Ultima Paint Guard Plus laid down and I was basically done; I was impressed so say the least!

Ultima Paint Guard Plus is an outstanding product and because it actually coats the finish I'd place it between a more traditional wax and the new resin coatings like Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0.

Because Ultima Paint Guard Plus goes on so easy and quickly I think there's a propensity to reapply it sooner giving it a "booster shot" to enhance it's look and durability, something I have to admit doing. It was almost as easy as applying a quality spray wax similar to Optimum Spray Wax.

Because Collinite 845 is a traditional wax, it takes more time and effort to apply. That said, I feel Collinite 845 has more depth and looks a little wetter once buffed. Collinite 845 lasted through two long cold and snowy New England winters so that in itself speaks volumes.

I've been a proponent of Collinite 845 for quite some time because of "its" unique qualities and what it brings to finish protection. Both products are top notch in my opinion and have their place in my arsenal. :props:

James K
07-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Don't lie Bobby. It's really a bad case of separation anxiety that keeps you from leaving Collinite.

BobbyG
07-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Don't lie Bobby. It's really a bad case of separation anxiety that keeps you from leaving Collinite.

You might be right James! :laughing:

Like giving up your first born.....