PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing my first Opti-Coat

Pages : [1] 2

mcpp66
07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking of applying Opti-Coat to my black Camaro. I've never used Opti-Coat before so I don't know if it would be smart of me to make that the first car I try this on. If it's truly as simple as everyone says it is then I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue. What do you guys think? Should I go for it or play it safe and learn the product on a different car?

BobbyG
07-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Products need to be tailored for ease of use otherwise sales would tank in a hurry. The directions seem to be pretty straight forward so I think if you take your time you'll be fine...

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)

mcpp66
07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm also afraid to do it because my garage is very dusty. I'd hate for dust to settle on my car and the become part of the finish while the Opti-Coat is drying. Is it safe to apply it outdoors? In the sun?

loudog2
07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't apply anything in the sun. The sun and heat will make it flash too fast.

LegacyGT
07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't be afraid of it, just read up on some of the tips that have been shared, and work carefully and you won't run into any issues. The OC flashes very quickly.

AeroCleanse
07-08-2011, 01:52 PM
This video should help you
YouTube - How to apply Opti-Coat (http://youtu.be/c3UwcGhrfqk)

mcpp66
07-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't apply anything in the sun. The sun and heat will make it flash too fast.

Yeah, you're right. I'm still a little nervous about doing this for the first time on my Camaro. I should probably try this on something else first.

BobbyG
07-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm also afraid to do it because my garage is very dusty. I'd hate for dust to settle on my car and the become part of the finish while the Opti-Coat is drying. Is it safe to apply it outdoors? In the sun?

Most normal garages are dusty to a certain degree and mines no exception. Occasionally, I'll take an air gun or leaf blower and knock allot of the dust down then vacuum it up.

Is there something in particular that makes your garage extremely dusty? Are their doors on it? If you feel comfortable applying it outside I would think once you dusted the garage you'd be one up on mother nature.

I think as long as the surface is cool and in the shade, applying outdoors shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure about direct sun so to error on the side of caution I wouldn't.

mcpp66
07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
This video should help you
- How to apply Opti-Coat ("http://youtu.be/c3UwcGhrfqk)

It really does look like there's nothing to it.

mcpp66
07-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Most normal garages are dusty to a certain degree and mines no exception. Occasionally, I'll take an air gun or leaf blower and knock allot of the dust down then vacuum it up.

Is there something in particular that makes your garage extremely dusty? Are their doors on it? If you feel comfortable applying it outside I would think once you dusted the garage you'd be one up on mother nature.

I think as long as the surface is cool and in the shade, applying outdoors shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure about direct sun so to error on the side of caution I wouldn't.

In Chris' video it looked like his car was outdoors, but in the shade.

CEE DOG
07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Whatever you do don't try to apply OC in the sun. Take your time and keep an eye on it from every angle.

As I have spent more time with OC and CQ I have found OC to be my favorite of the two. It's a very very deep product. By deep I mean unique in its depth of properties. It's like how far down the rabbit hole would you like to go? Im the MAN
When I first applied it full instruction was not available. Since then I have learned the best way to apply is as if you are using a wowa sealant. (Thanks Chris) Now I can apply it much faster than many other LSP products (taking into account the fact I don't have to buff it off.) OC flashes very fast. The last time I applied it I was fetting flash and invisibility within 30 seconds or less if I recall correctly. I've been meaning to post my personal latest views of these coatings which includes what I just wrote but haven't had the chance. I'll post a video in the next day or two of the fast flashing I got on my last application. Heat and humidity play a big part in how fast it flashes.

Good luck

FYI: those directions on the AG store website are outdated ime. Depending on the conditions you need to check sooner than 5 minutes and I would apply like a wowa sealant rather than the front to back and side to side method it mentions there. You can finish with that direction but I wouldn't only do that. I believe Bill had good results front to back and side to side though.

fishnugget
07-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Products need to be tailored for ease of use otherwise sales would tank in a hurry. The directions seem to be pretty straight forward so I think if you take your time you'll be fine...

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)

:iagree:

I was worried about dust as well because I live in a very windy area so I opted to apply it in the garage. If your car is black you can see the flashing/application much more easier than a white/beige/silver car. Just use a compressor to blow out dust. PS: I applied Opti-Coat to my car the first time I handled it with no practice. So you can do it and its easy to correct. :)

embolism
07-08-2011, 02:06 PM
hose your garage out the night before and open your garage door 1 hour before you do the IPA wipedown

silverfox
07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Been there. I would recommend practicing on another car first. Secondly apply it with a microfiber applicator pad, not the tiny foam pad that comes with it. Do it outside on a calm day. I would never do it in a garage because you have about five minutes or less to wipe areas that do not flash off and you will never see the unflashed areas unless you have it outside in natural light. I can't stress that enough. Shop lights don't cut it. Have a microfiber towel and wipe areas that don't flash off with a light swipe. You will love this stuff.

CEE DOG
07-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Been there. I would recommend practicing on another car first. Secondly apply it with a microfiber applicator pad, not the tiny foam pad that comes with it. Do it outside on a calm day. I would never do it in a garage because you have about five minutes or less to wipe areas that do not flash off and you will never see the unflashed areas unless you have it outside in natural light. I can't stress that enough. Shop lights don't cut it. Have a microfiber towel and wipe areas that don't flash off with a light swipe. You will love this stuff.

Great advice!! I don't use the mf towel though. If I get one here or there I just touch up the non-flashed spot with the foam applicator. Still great to have on hand in case it works better for you.