PDA

View Full Version : Use for MicroFiber GSM'S (Grams per Square Meter)

bigaizsosexy
07-07-2011, 08:03 PM
What GSM (Grams Per Square Meter) are recommended for use with compound,polish, wax, sealant, quick detailer? Wiping off that is.

Please answer according to the question.

FUNX650
07-07-2011, 09:24 PM
What GSM (Grams Per Square Meter) are recommended for use with compound,polish, wax, sealant, quick detailer? Wiping off that is.

Please answer according to the question.

Isn't thickness also just as an important aspect of MF towels as the weight? When you hold the towel up and look towards the daytime sky do you see daylight shining through?

Where thickness equals:

-Thickness of fibers
-length of loop
-amount of fiber per square inch

This, then, will add up to the weight...usually 250 grams are considered "good" MF towels. Different "thicknesses" is how I determine which MF towel I'll be utilizing.

OOOPS! I didn't answer according to the question.:doh:

What to do? What to do?

Bob

bigaizsosexy
07-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Actually you did,
"This, then, will add up to the weight...usually 250 grams are considered "good" MF towels. Different "thicknesses" is how I determine which MF towel I'll be utilizing."
:thumbsup:

tuscarora dave
07-08-2011, 04:47 AM
This towel is marketed as a polishing cloth at another site that I look at from time to time.

16" x 16" Double sided super plush auto detailing polishing cloth. 1400gsm Round edges
70% polyester / 30% polyamide split microfiber

If 250 gsm is considered a good towel then this must be the Holy Grail of microfiber towels.

Great if you are comfortable spending $16.99 for one towel.

I'll stick with my DMTs at $50 per dozen.

bigaizsosexy
07-08-2011, 08:41 AM
This towel is marketed as a polishing cloth at another site that I look at from time to time.

16" x 16" Double sided super plush auto detailing polishing cloth. 1400gsm Round edges
70% polyester / 30% polyamide split microfiber

If 250 gsm is considered a good towel then this must be the Holy Grail of microfiber towels.

Great if you are comfortable spending $16.99 for one towel.

I'll stick with my DMTs at $50 per dozen.

Agreed!

newb001
07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
600gsm (or around that) is the highest I've ever seen.

embolism
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
that begs the question

what's the gsm of DMTs?

Twister
07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
What's DMT? I hate when I just can't seem to figure this stuff out

bigaizsosexy
07-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Twister,
DMT's are Poorboys Microfiber Towel Series. I order mine from a distributor so they do not have a name, just a GSM rating.

** Actually a Generic Name......Plush Terry 360gsm Microfiber Towel

bigaizsosexy
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
that begs the question

what's the gsm of DMTs?

From the description, it is probably in the range of 300 to 350 gsms...

"The DMT is great for wax, sealant, & polish removal, as well as for Quick Detailing. It is plush, absorbant and extremely well manufactured to give you a durable, long lasting deluxe towel." (Poorboys World)

Old Pirate
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
A good rule of thumb in MF towels for general detailing is as follows:

1. Towel density is very very important in a MF towel. Density is a measure of fibers per square inch of fabric. The range for quality microfiber is 120,000 to 250,000 fibers per square inch. In generally speaking, the higher the fiber count it has, the better the towel will work for you.

2. The ratio of the polyester and polymide blend is important. While 80% polyester and 20% polymide is typical as always, but a 70/30 blend will absorb water faster for you. As polymide is much more expensive than polyester, so you can expect to pay more for 70/30 towels these days, but with new ways their made the price is going down fast.

3. Make sure you look at the weave and thickness of the towel. Depending on the task the cloth is designed to perform for you.

4. The quality construction is not always obvious, here are some observations. The biggest complaint from folks with microfiber is that the towels with cheap edging will scratch your paint. There are some reasons First, off the factory uses a hot wire system to cut their towels and if not properly adjusted, or if a cheap machine is used, the hot wire will melt the fabric, they turn into a type of hard plastic! The second complaint is that the towel creates excessive lint. Microfiber lint is caused by towels with a high pile or a weave using a fiber split that's inappropriate for the use it was intended for (shortcut made). The high pile or loose weave allow the fibers to break off, creating lint. The same split fiber used in a towel with a higher fabric density will lint less or not at all. Don't always assume that a MF towel that does not lint is a high quality towel. Some of these cheapest towels don't lint because they do not have split fibers or their getting better made at the source.

So select you towels (as looking for some), by asking questions to other folks ( also detailers ) who have got them and ask them if they lint or have hard edges on them, and if they perform the way your looking for.

bigaizsosexy
07-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Fantastic Info!!!

Twister
07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Twister,
DMT's are Poorboys Microfiber Towel Series. I order mine from a distributor so they do not have a name, just a GSM rating.

** Actually a Generic Name......Plush Terry 360gsm Microfiber Towel

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think Poorboys is one of the few places I don't have towels from. Would you mind shooting me a PM with the info :dblthumb2:

bigaizsosexy
07-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Not a problem, every question I ask is answered by someone, so I try to do the same. (if I can)

tuscarora dave
07-08-2011, 10:58 PM
A good rule of thumb in MF towels for general detailing is as follows:

1. Towel density is very very important in a MF towel. Density is a measure of fibers per square inch of fabric. The range for quality microfiber is 120,000 to 250,000 fibers per square inch. In generally speaking, the higher the fiber count it has, the better the towel will work for you.

2. The ratio of the polyester and polymide blend is important. While 80% polyester and 20% polymide is typical as always, but a 70/30 blend will absorb water faster for you. As polymide is much more expensive than polyester, so you can expect to pay more for 70/30 towels these days, but with new ways their made the price is going down fast.

3. Make sure you look at the weave and thickness of the towel. Depending on the task the cloth is designed to perform for you.

4. The quality construction is not always obvious, here are some observations. The biggest complaint from folks with microfiber is that the towels with cheap edging will scratch your paint. There are some reasons First, off the factory uses a hot wire system to cut their towels and if not properly adjusted, or if a cheap machine is used, the hot wire will melt the fabric, they turn into a type of hard plastic! The second complaint is that the towel creates excessive lint. Microfiber lint is caused by towels with a high pile or a weave using a fiber split that's inappropriate for the use it was intended for (shortcut made). The high pile or loose weave allow the fibers to break off, creating lint. The same split fiber used in a towel with a higher fabric density will lint less or not at all. Don't always assume that a MF towel that does not lint is a high quality towel. Some of these cheapest towels don't lint because they do not have split fibers or their getting better made at the source.

So select you towels (as looking for some), by asking questions to other folks ( also detailers ) who have got them and ask them if they lint or have hard edges on them, and if they perform the way your looking for.
Great piece of info Angelo!!! I am glad to see you posting here at AG!!