PDA

View Full Version : WHEELS -- OPTI-SEAL on top of 3 coats of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant...

Pages : [1] 2 3

JetBlackBMW
07-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I applied 3 coats (24 hrs between coats) of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant on my 18" silver CSL clear coated wheels and it took a looong time. I am learning that there are better wheel sealants on the market, however I do not want to remove the sealant I just applied because it did take a while to apply due to the 8 spoke style of the wheels.

Can I top this with Opti-Seal or UPGP for better durability? Will Opti-seal or UPGP bond okay over the PB Wheel Sealant or is there a better product to use over the PB Wheel Sealant??

I just learned about CQuartz Paint Protection, but think that I would have to strip off the PB Wheel Sealant before using it. Also learned about Armor All Wheel Protectant, but heard that it lacks durability.

I am only planning on using soap and water or ONR to clean the wheels a few times a week, as I want to keep them as clean as possible so that I do not need to use strong chemical wheel cleaners. I do have P21S wheel cleaner that I can use at a diluted level if needed.

Jhaight11
07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I applied 3 coats (24 hrs between coats) of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant on my 18" silver CSL clear coated wheels and it took a looong time. I am learning that there are better wheel sealants on the market, however I do not want to remove the sealant I just applied because it did take a while to apply due to the 8 spoke style of the wheels.

Can I top this with Opti-Seal or UPGP for better durability? Will Opti-seal or UPGP bond okay over the PB Wheel Sealant or is there a better product to use over the PB Wheel Sealant??

I just learned about CQuartz Paint Protection, but think that I would have to strip off the PB Wheel Sealant before using it. Also learned about Armor All Wheel Protectant, but heard that it lacks durability.

I am only planning on using soap and water or ONR to clean the wheels a few times a week, as I want to keep them as clean as possible so that I do not need to use strong chemical wheel cleaners. I do have P21S wheel cleaner that I can use at a diluted level if needed.

PB wheel sealent a really good product and i enjoy using myself. for use of any other product yes the sealant needs to be removed as it wont be able to bond to anything. if your considering cquartz i would get opti coat. it being more of a resin then a ceramic coating means longer protection time.

Twister
07-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Are you not happy with the PB sealant? Just because you read that there are other better products out there doesn't mean that what you have isn't good. If your happy with the results and the product then there's no reason to change. If your not happy with it then it's worth looking for something else.

flamed03vert
07-07-2011, 09:09 AM
PB wheel sealant is good stuff. I would be concerned with layering products like that as well as the heat the wheels endure having an adverse reaction on the applied coating. I do agree that on certain intricate wheel styles the wheel sealant can be a PITA to apply and remove. But the protection it leaves behind does make cleaning wheels the next time around significantly easier.

HeavyMetal
07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Unless the PB sealant simply is not working, why do you want to switch? Maybe there are better sealants out there, and maybe not. Everything you read is really just someone's opinion, not independently tested fact. Right now I'm using DP Wheel Sealant that I got BOGO. Yeah, I could switch to something else but why bother? I have plenty of DP, it has a great gloss, it's easy to apply, brake dust doesn't stick and it lasts a couple months. At some point you just have to stop chasing someone else's opinion of "the next best thing".

James K
07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
At some point you just have to stop chasing someone else's opinion of "the next best thing".

How true is that statement!!!!!!!!! I wish I would have done this a long time and a lot of money ago! LOL.

JetBlackBMW
07-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies - I bought the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant becasue I heard it was good stuff and then after that I read that some people were saying that there are even better wheel sealants (like a true paint sealant like Opti-Seal/UPGP or Cquartz/Opti-coat) so I began to wonder if I should get something else. It is time consuming to take the wheels off the car and apply multiple coats of sealant so I wanted to do it right the first time. But now, I think I am going to just stay with the Poorboy's because it seems like people are happy with it.

I took the wheels off the car to apply and have not put them back on yet so I cannot comment on how it worked yet. I was waiting to see if I should try something else first. After the feedback I think the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant will work fine.

Twister
07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Let us know what you think once you get the wheels back on the car. I'm wanting something to use on my car and truck

2kredbb6
07-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I used the PBWS on 10 spoke rims 2 coats and it took FOREVER!!!!
2 weeks after the PBWS was long gone, I figured that so much brake dust (04' Audi A8) is being released that the PBWS had no chance.

So I went with the DP's Wheel Glaze ONE coat application and it last about a month and a half..
Hope that helps since I think the wheels will be used on a BMW...

JetBlackBMW
07-07-2011, 08:10 PM
I used the PBWS on 10 spoke rims 2 coats and it took FOREVER!!!!
2 weeks after the PBWS was long gone, I figured that so much brake dust (04' Audi A8) is being released that the PBWS had no chance.

So I went with the DP's Wheel Glaze ONE coat application and it last about a month and a half..
Hope that helps since I think the wheels will be used on a BMW...

Thanks - thats good to know. I may try a coat of the DP Wheel Glaze on top of the PBWS becasue I am sure I will notice the same thing as OEM brakes on both BMW's and Audi's do dust quite a bit. I do not want to change to aftermarket ceramic brakes as they are known to squeek so I really want to find the BEST wheel sealant before I put these wheels back on the car.

It is a lot easier to try out different waxes on the paint than it is to try different wheel sealants - it takes a lot longer to take wheels off, put the winter wheel on so that I can drive the car in the meantime, apply multiple coats of sealant over 2 or 3 days, then take off the winter wheels and put the summer wheels back on.

JetBlackBMW
07-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Just found out that DP Wheel Glaze has a cleaner in it so that may take off the PBWS.

Going with my original plan. Going to spray Opti-Seal or UPGP on top of the PBWS. I really like the idea of a spray sealant. I am sure someone is going to say it wont bond correctly but I am going to try it and see how it works as either one these products can be applied by spraying them on and walking away instead of wiping them on and then wiping them off - seems easy to use.

Munich77
07-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Try the Armor all wheel protectant - it might help :).

Scarelane
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
If your wheels are clear coated, is it that big of a deal? If you wash regularly, don't them just come clean?? Now my polished billet aluminum wheels (no coating) are horrible to keep clean. I use Optimum polish on them and Wheel wax on the insides. Works well!

zilla
07-08-2011, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't worry about switching. PBWS is going to be fine. The way I see it, it's a simple diminishing returns situation. PBWS or any other boutique product like that is going to give you 90-95% of the protection and performance you're looking for. If you try another product, at best you're going to see a 5-10% performance bump, and that's not likely because no product out there is 100% perfect. So even if you were using a diff product, you'd be in the same situation.

18" CSL's, just silver or hyper black? I'm assuming they're the ones modbargains sells? They're my favorite wheels by far, I used to have a set of the 19" M3 ZCP version on my old M3. I wish I had never sold them, but I got such a good deal on them that I doubled my money when I sold them. :)

These are the type of wheels he's referring to guys...

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2731/rearsji7.jpg
:dblthumb2:

HeavyMetal
07-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies - I bought the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant becasue I heard it was good stuff and then after that I read that some people were saying that there are even better wheel sealants (like a true paint sealant like Opti-Seal/UPGP or Cquartz/Opti-coat) so I began to wonder if I should get something else. It is time consuming to take the wheels off the car and apply multiple coats of sealant so I wanted to do it right the first time. But now, I think I am going to just stay with the Poorboy's because it seems like people are happy with it.

I took the wheels off the car to apply and have not put them back on yet so I cannot comment on how it worked yet. I was waiting to see if I should try something else first. After the feedback I think the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant will work fine.

Excuse me, but you haven't even tried it yet. You're ready to switch just because someone else said it didn't last for them. OK, maybe it didn't. But, you don't know how that person applied the sealant and how well they cleaned the wheel before they applied. And, have you considered the possibility that those who claimed the PB washed right off simply have a deep seated emotional need to feel the products they are using are the best and say that about every product except the one they use? I've read negatives on every product AG sells. So either they're all bad or something else is going on.

Anyway, you're chasing rainbows in search of a non-existant perfection w/o giving what you've already done a fair test. What have you got to lose at this point? Put the tires back on and see if it lasts.