PDA

View Full Version : RV Rubber Roof Cleaning?

Pages : [1] 2

MirandaAutoSpa
07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
HI
We received a call today to detail a 25ft. Toy Hauler. The customer wants the rubber roof cleaned. I have only ever cleaning the sides of an RV. Not really sure what products are safe and effective to use on the roofs.
Any advice on cleaning those rubber roofs?
I use mainly Meguiar's products and was looking into the Boat and RV line. Any Help?
Thanks

Sinbad
07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
There are specific products used to clean a rubber roof. I have used an apc and a sponge type mop to clean our roof. Did a pretty good job cleaning, but still left some spots behind. The specific cleaners and sealers do a better job on both ends. Camping stores sell many products for this particular application.

Make sure you are careful up there and don't tear that membrane. Rubber roofs are tough but can still be cut/damaged if not careful. Good luck

master detailer
07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I detail rvs all the time . just spray degreaser on the roof then use a power washer and it will clean wright up. ps becarefull gets real silk. also power wash the ac uint and clean it out will get ac working like new and they will love you

MirandaAutoSpa
07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Excellent!! Thank you guys. Great advice. I look forward to cleaning this RV, and will take all the advice I can get.
Thanks Again!!

Flash Gordon
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Wear a shoe with some grip, or go bearfoot. Those roofs get very slippery

Make sure you rinse throughly too. This includes the sides

Garry Dean
07-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Does the roof have mold spots all over it or is it just dirty?

If I have time tonight I will edit the video I shot today while I detailed a 35ft 5th wheel.

Brace1
07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Use #### & Span with a soft scrub brush. As others have said, tread lightly up there as you don't want to tear the membrane.

Jimmie
07-06-2011, 08:28 PM
What sinbad said^^^. I searched Duragloss, and Megs. No rubber roof cleaner. The bottle that I've got says premium rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. It was recommended for use before applying lap sealant to some leaky seams.

dchristo
07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
how about amazing roll off

MirandaAutoSpa
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Does the roof have mold spots all over it or is it just dirty?

If I have time tonight I will edit the video I shot today while I detailed a 35ft 5th wheel.

I'm not sure if it is moldy or not, i need to call the customer to schedule it anyways and will get more info. He said it is washed about twice a year.

BillE
07-07-2011, 07:09 AM
From the major maufacture...NOTHING WITH PETROLEUM on the roofs.

Be careful up there, as said above...those suckers can get beyond slippery! I just crawl around on my hands and knees (plus I'm petrified of heights!)

Bill

Garry Dean
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure if it is moldy or not, i need to call the customer to schedule it anyways and will get more info. He said it is washed about twice a year.

Well, call me if you have a mold spot issue and I will walk you through a few things to try.

For the most part all I do is give the roof a good scrub down with Dawn and a scrub brush to get it really clean, let dry, then I hose it down with 303 from a garden sprayer. Now this is only if there are no other issues to address. Washing skylights, ac unit, and anything else on the roof is a given. Also make sure you have the antenna raised as you will not be able to clean underneath properly in its lowered position.

Alpharv
11-16-2012, 09:34 PM
I own a 38ft. Alpha Gold RV and I can tell you that if you use any patroleum products on the roof you will most certantly destroy the rubber membrain. Answer to your ?. 1st. wash roof with dawn dish soap and soft brissil brush. 2nd. dry off roof and apply a rubber roof cleaner and protecter, you will only need one spray bottle. Use two clean soft rages one to wipe it on and one to wipe it off. My rv is 12 years old and it looks just like it did the day I bought it. GOODLUCK!

dsigmon
11-16-2012, 11:42 PM
RV owner here for over 20 years.

Use any APC you have & it will work fine. No petroleum based or acid based chems. You can use an oxidizer to boost the chem & brighten the roof.

Use a pump up sprayer with your chemical & a truck wash brush on a pole. Pull your hose up on the roof. Start in the middle a work toward one end. Clean an area & rinse toward the remaining dirty area till you reach the end.

Never use a pressure washer. It can easily cut a hole in the membrane or if you veer to far & hit the awning you could be out several hundred to a grand or more.

You will have to wash the rest of the RV since the roof oxidation will leave a white chalky residue on the sides no matter how much you rinse.

Best not to use any type of dressing or protectant. Dicor & most other mfg's do not recommend them. They only attract more dust & dirt.

07gtcs
11-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Use #### & Span with a soft scrub brush. As others have said, tread lightly up there as you don't want to tear the membrane.

This is how I clean my RV Roof! 2X a year, once in the spring and once at the end of the summer.