PDA

View Full Version : Need help with black paint and rotary

bus3
07-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I have a black pontiac solstice coming in that needs a correction. It has swirls all over and buffer tails from the last guy that did the correction. The products that I have are Menz power finish, M105, M205, WG Finishing Glaze, Megs UC, Flex PE14-2, 5.5" flat pads all colors, Lake country 7.5" smart pads all colors, and Pinacle wax.

I am looking for the right combination of products that I have and pads to use for this correction. This will be the first time that I have done a correction.

Thanks

Mike Phillips
07-06-2011, 04:54 PM
It's usually a good idea to get some practice under your belt before you try to get a 100% swirl free finish on black paint using only a rotary buffer for your first correction detail job.

Way to really go after it!

First of all, it's important that you're working surgically clean. The car must be clean with no dirt particles in any of the cracks and crevices as a spinning pad on a rotary buffer creates it's own air current that can draw particles out of all kinds of places. So wash and rinse the car thoroughly.

After you remove all the swirls and polish to a high gloss, put on your softest, foam finishing pad and try using the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze to jewel the paint on the 600 RPM setting.

Use light pressure, overlap your passes. Clean your pad after each application of product. Always wipe off every little bit of residue from the last application of product.

Read through this thread...

How do you stay away from holograms? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/33511-how-do-you-stay-away-holograms.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
07-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Out of the products you show in one of your pictures, the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is the least aggressive "finishing polish" in our collection.

:)

bus3
07-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I was going to use 105 with white or orange pad, then 205 with white pad, then WG finishing glaze with blue pad?

john b
07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
do a test spot first with least aggresive polish/pad combo first and then go from there